Upset cats because of new puppy?

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
TracyB2016
Puppy
First Name: Tracy

Upset cats because of new puppy?

Post by TracyB2016 »

Hi, I've recently got a new puppy a few weeks ago. Over the last few days my 8 year old cats (who have previously been great at only going in their litter box) have started peeing on our beds. I think this may be the stress of the new (quite boisterous) puppy, anyone had this before, and how did you tackle it, I have no idea what I can do..... any advice greatly appreciated.....
Hot Poppy
Puppy
First Name: Penny
Dog #1: Reeba
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 02 Nov 2014

Re: Upset cats because of new puppy?

Post by Hot Poppy »

Hello.
I have four cats and introduced a Giant puppy last year.
All the cats lived upstairs for about 2 weeks!!! When we went out, puppy was gated in the kitchen and the cat food bowls & litter tray were moved into the living room out of puppies way. This worked well for some time and the cats gained confidence. But the smallest female cat, who is a highly strung cat anyway, started weeing on the bath mats and the beds!!

So, all bedroom doors have to be kept shut. I have bought Feliway diffusers to dot around the house, I also give her a couple of drops of Bach Rescue Remedy with her food twice daily. This has helpped enormously. She is a much happier cat, we do have the odd occasion of a wee on the bath mat, but no where near as bad as before. Also I spend extra time with her encouraging her into playing games.
Now all the cats get on well with Reeba dog now and are not afraid of her anymore, but this has taken some months to get to this point. My other three cats have been a lot more accepting and didn't show any behaviour problems.
I can't recommend Feliway enough, this has really helpped to settle my girl down.

Regards
Penny
TracyB2016
Puppy
First Name: Tracy

Re: Upset cats because of new puppy?

Post by TracyB2016 »

Thank you so much for the advice Penny! Very much appreciated! I'm going to get online now to get some Feliway x