First Timer

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
keirson
Puppy
First Name: KEIRSON

First Timer

Post by keirson »

Hi

i have bitten the bullet and started my 9 month old mini on raw food....previously on kibble as was my previous mini for 13 years!

we are feeding him natural instinct, approx 90g twice a day...he is starving...barking, unsettled and generally not himself. Is it normal to have tiny hard poos? He actually seems constipated?
After reading the posts on the forum i have tried adding a carrot but that gave him diarrhoea ....and advice please.
Should i just go with it?

many thanks
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: First Timer

Post by Dawnspell »

It's normal to have a lot less volume in poos but they shouldn't be too hard like pebbles coming out.

A puppy should be on around 10% of its body weight until around 6 mths and then gradually reduce to around 2-3% by a year old depending on how active he is. So I'd say he should be on around 6% of his body weight.

So if he's having 180g per day he's around 3kg ? If he's over 3kg then he needs more. Is he on raw complete meals or just meat mix ?
Cooked sweet potato would be a better thing to add.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

I'd second what Alison has said above.

On the poo front, you will find that there is a lot less of it. And what there is, is quite hard as they are only excreting the waste. The poo from both Watson and Rupert can be quite hard at times. You could use them in a catapult if you were inclined. Neither of mine have a problem going, even though it looks like they are constipated. At least I won''t have problems with anal glands and it makes it really easy to pick up. When out in France and the boys have the back garden to play in, I often leave it for a few days. It turns snow white and goes to powder within a day or two. Unlike some of the piles I see up in the park that have gone mouldy after 3 weeks. Not even the flies go near it.

To judge how much food he is getting, it would be useful to know how much he weighs and his level of exercise.

Rupert (12.5kg) gets 170g twice a day and Watson (10kg) gets 130g twice a day. They are both in good shape and their weight as been fairly constant for the last 3 years. Watson is more active than Rupert as he loves balls.

A 9 month old puppy that is in his final growth spurt is going to need far more food than 90g twice a day. He probably weighs between 6 - 8 kg now. I physically weigh each meal as it is difficult to judge otherwise.

I also find the boys are doing better on Nutriment as there are less ingredients.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

if the poos are white and chalky it means too much bone content, normal looking small poos are ok, take a look at facebook page 'BARF UK' on there you can get lots of good information, including feeding guide for amounts. he should be having 5-6% of his body weight at 9 months.. hope this helps
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
keirson
Puppy

Post by keirson »

Many many thanks for your replies and advice.

So I've basically been starving my boy :( :-s .....I'm mortified
Thank goodness its only been for 4 days. I've misread the feeding guides.
Can I ask should I spread the food over 3 meals or stick to the 2?
Archie is 9 months and weighs 7kg

Thank heavens for this forum :-bd
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

I would stick to two if he is already used to it.

Maintenance food weight would be between 2-3% of body weight per day, so he should be getting around 270g split over two meals (135g per meal)

As he is still growing, you could feed him up to 6% of body weight for now and gradually reduce it over the next 3 months down to 2.5% of body weight. Once at this level, monitor his weight and see what it does. Look for the guides on knowing whether your dog is overweight. You should be able to feel the ribs covering in a thin layer of skin and fat, but no more and they should not be visible under normal circumstances.

I'd be inclined to stick to the 3% now and see how you get on. Watch his weight and activity to see whether you need to up it or reduce it. You'll settle somewhere between 2-3%, with the odd chicken wing, etc, in between.

Good luck and well done on going raw.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I'm pleased you asked, poor boy :( That could also be why his poos have been extra hard as his body is trying to get every last morsel of nutrition out of it. If you overfeed a dog they can have loose poos as the body has to pass it out quick before the next lot comes in. Keep us up to date how he gets on

Hes going to think its his birthday today :D
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
keirson
Puppy

Post by keirson »

Morning,

Thanks again for all your help.
Have increased his food, to 175g twice a day - 5% of his body weight. He is a lively mini and will start reducing once 11/12 months - does that sound about right? Although I'm not sure he will like less :(
Poo's are looking much better- not so hard.

Have a great weekend
doughboy
Puppy
First Name: Dough

Post by doughboy »

Dawnspell wrote:It's normal to have a lot less volume in poos but they shouldn't be too hard like pebbles coming out.

A puppy should be on around 10% of its body weight until around 6 mths and then gradually reduce to around 2-3% by a year old depending on how active he is. So I'd say he should be on around 6% of his body weight.
Yikes! Looks like we've been underfeeding Hugo! He's currently on 60g of Origen in the morning and another 60g in the evening, with treats/peanut butter/chicken wings etc in between. We're just going by the guidelines on the Origen packaging and by how much he actually wants to eat per sitting but it does now make me think we've been underfeeding him.

What impact does this have on their development? Does it affect how big they could be as an adult?
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

doughboy wrote:
Dawnspell wrote:It's normal to have a lot less volume in poos but they shouldn't be too hard like pebbles coming out.

Yikes! Looks like we've been underfeeding Hugo! He's currently on 60g of Origen in the morning and another 60g in the evening, with treats/peanut butter/chicken wings etc in between. We're just going by the guidelines on the Origen packaging and by how much he actually wants to eat per sitting but it does now make me think we've been underfeeding him.

What impact does this have on their development? Does it affect how big they could be as an adult?
DON'T PANIC these guidelines are purely for if you are feeding RAW. Origen is not raw its kibble so you are right to go by the packet guidelines. Kibble will always be a lot less in weight than raw as there is no water, its a dry feed.

If you're unsure about the weight/condition of your dogs do the rib test as Dean described earlier in the thread.
Our first family dog