Testing my patience!

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
wooster1
Puppy
First Name: Kerry
Dog #1: Bunny
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 24 Jun 2016

Testing my patience!

Post by wooster1 »

Just wanted everyone thoughts on my current situation with my girl mini. I've been feeding natural instinct to her for roughly the last 4 months with no issues but for the last week or so she has either picked at it or not eaten it at all. She did get her first season early Feb which is well over now (though I thought that this could still make an impact). I tried her on a different brand of raw food (Natures Menu) which she has eaten in the past too but she doesn't want that either. She gets a turkey or duck necks twice a week which she is still happy to eat. Also if I add raw meat chunks or tripe to her bowl she will eat that and leave the prepared raw food and funnily enough she will eat any raw meat that she sees me cutting up for her! I even tried this morning spooning the natural instinct out of the carton onto the floor and she ate it, so I know the issue isn't the prepared raw food!

She is 9 months old so I realise she is testing me, I'm just sick of throwing away perfectly good food!
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Re: Testing my patience!

Post by jacdales »

Perhaps it is the texture she has taken a dislike to. I'm about to try the one shown below recommended by my vet. The other was also advertised in the vets.

https://benyfitnatural.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.basilsdogfood.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

both my guys also did this, Torsten at 6 months Elica at 7 months (after her season) its perfectly normal and happens with both raw and kibble fed dogs. She is testing you to see what you will offer her next.
You have to be quite strict. Put food down for 10 mins, if its not eaten pick it up cover and pop back in the fridge then offer for the next meal. if its not eaten throw away and start again the next day.
Cut out training treats, and although she is eating them and enjoying them cut out the bones till shes eating her prepared raw. she wont starve and will eat when she is ready. With both of mine (also raw fed, nutriment) after doing this they have never missed a meal since ;)
Purple_peach
First Name: Autumn
Dog #1: Pippin
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Dec 2015
Dog #2: Holly RIP 03.07.18
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Sep 2016
Dog #3: Lola
Born: 24 Apr 2018

Post by Purple_peach »

:o3 Snap - I'm also going through exactly the same with Holly - she's just coming towards the end of her first season, 6 months old and hasn't eaten any raw for 3 weeks now. I've given her fish4dogs puppy dry food for now, which she eats, but will get her back on raw in a couple of weeks.

Maybe I should have been strict with her like Hayley suggests, but I didn't realise then, you live and learn. :ymblushing:
wooster1
Puppy
First Name: Kerry
Dog #1: Bunny
Born: 24 Jun 2016

Post by wooster1 »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have a very stubborn little girl on my hands and she has literally only eaten a couple of bites since Friday after only feeding her raw meals twice per day and no treats etc. I have never fed her from my plate and she doesn't usually beg for food but now she practically trying to sit on my lap to let me know she wants some of what I'm eating. How long would you leave it before you switch away from raw food? I know I shouldn't cave but she's looking rather lean and I'm a bit worried....
doughboy
Puppy
First Name: Dough

Post by doughboy »

We had exactly the same problems with Hugo (now 10 months old). He completely went off Origen kibble, so we started on a RAW/Barf diet. Homemade, using minced chicken & tripe and then adding 20% of veg/fruit/oils etc. First two weeks, demolished his meals at every sitting. Next two weeks, decided he wasn't interested. Just lately, he eats everything but sometimes needs to be cajoled into eating. Snacks/treats in between are eaten with no fuss whatsoever. And because he's only 6kg, we feel like we need to 'fatten' him up so we sometimes do things that we shouldn't, which makes a rod for our own backs! We are back to strict mealtimes, and if he doesn't eat it then get put away till next meal time. He seems to have learnt and we are, for now, trouble free!