Beard cleaning

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Janer
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Meg
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 18 Jan 2014

Beard cleaning

Post by Janer »

Meg has just had the second of her raw food meals, which she is enjoying but no more I would say than she enjoyed her Gentle meals - never had a problem with food, our Meg!

I was wondering if anyone has a patent method for keeping the beard clean? I normally clean it once a day with a Water Wipe usually after her second walk, to keep it generally clean but is this enough when we are talking remnants of raw meat? I don't want a stinky beard and I have 2 grandchildren who are crawling so obviously want to keep things as germ free as poss.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Beard cleaning

Post by zeta1454 »

Using the Water Wipes will give you a chance to check Meg's beard and clean out any 'debris'. Our experience with our three raw fed miniature schnauzers is they do not leave even a scent of meat in their bowls after eating, they are so meticulous about licking them clean and we have not found their beards to be smelly or have meat caught up in them...or not for long.

I know there is a lot of anxiety over dogs spreading infection if they are raw fed but, knowing how dogs generally drag their mouths (and beards) over the ground in public places, sniff ( and at times eat) poo, sniff other dogs' pee and rear ends, as well as sniffing and/or eating discarded food on the ground outside, given half a chance, I cannot see how this is any less likely to pose a threat of infection to people in contact with them (if not more so) than if a dog eats a raw meat meal. I remember when I was about 3 years old, we had a golden retriever dog at home that had huge raw marrow bones to gnaw on which lay for days in the garden and did smell, as did her face after chewing on them, but I don't recall any cleaning of her mouth or face or that I ever became ill from hugging and interacting with her. While I don't think people should be unaware of the need to take care of hygiene with the very young or those whose health may already be compromised but I do think that trying to sanitise our environment too much will lead to children growing up with underdeveloped immune systems which can have health implications later in life.

This is not meant as any criticism of you at all and I do understand your concerns for your grandchildren's health of course but I do not think you need to worry generally about Meg's raw diet being a health hazard via her beard. You could always make sure her beard is cleaned (with a proper dog shampoo) before your grandchildren visit if need be. Regular beard washing will do no harm and will keep Meg smelling sweet and put your mind at rest :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Beard cleaning

Post by Oscar 12345 »

My Oscar had a lovely white beard until he had to go on wet food. I learnt that I had to wipe down his beard after every meal and after every walk (just very wet paper towel). That brought it back to a nice white. Slacking off from this even for a day would mean that it started to change colour again. One tip is not to brush or comb the beard unless you know it to be clean of saliva otherwise you will transfer the stain down the beard.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sorry might have misled you there, wiping the beard didn't remove the stain, I have found nothing that will do that, but the regrowth was all white and the stain therefore vanished with trimming over time. Just thought I would clarify. :-s
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Janer
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Meg
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 18 Jan 2014

Post by Janer »

Thanks for putting things into perspective for me,Leigh. You are right, of course, Meg is a scavenger given half a chance, so raw food perhaps should be the least of my worries.
It was finding bits in her beard that scared me but I will just a clean with a wipe and see how we go, that can suffice until she has a bath which we do each time we visit the undoggy son ;) :D the other has a dog so is more tolerant of doggy habits!
Thanks also for the info about the beard staining, Julie, I had not thought that it would help with that....I actually thought it would make it worse having a beard that was washed all the time, interesting!