Rosie and Edie go on RAW

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Rosie and Edie go on RAW

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Well I thought this would happen, Otto is a little constipated I think so added some apple this morning. Apart from that I am very impressed and it is not anything like as messy as I imagined. We are mixing in a bit of beef and tripe today.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I do both Julie. I try and fill their bowls before taking them for a walk when I get home from work so that it warms a little while we're out but other times it's straight from the fridge. I haven't noticed a difference to how attractive it is to them. It's never in the bowl long enough :)

The first couple of days I thought mine were constipated but then I realised that it's just that the poo is very different to what they (and I ) were used to. I've got used to the small, hard nuggets and they pop them out as quickly now as they did previously :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Sam. I am sure that he is adjusting to the new diet. No complaints so far and I didn't even turn my nose up at the tripe this morning :)
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

You are right Sam, he isn't constipated, I just need to get used to much smaller poop. Everything fine here. He has put on .4kg in 3 days so I will be slightly reducing the amount fed. I am pleased he is putting on a bit of weight, really struggled with the other food to get a bit more weight on him. Wish I had made this change sooner. I used to be so anti-raw.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 09:01 You are right Sam, he isn't constipated, I just need to get used to much smaller poop. Everything fine here. He has put on .4kg in 3 days so I will be slightly reducing the amount fed. I am pleased he is putting on a bit of weight, really struggled with the other food to get a bit more weight on him. Wish I had made this change sooner. I used to be so anti-raw.
Delighted to hear that it's going well for you too.

I was never against the idea of it but I honestly thought the whole process would be a real faff rather than simply defrosting the meal and watch it disappear :) I imagined I'd have a bit of butchering to do but it really is as straightforward as using a kibble.

Today for the first time since we got her, Edie had a code brown when we were out walking. I think the poo was too solid to "nick". She didn't like it one bit and was jumping round like a bucking bronco until I managed to clam her down enough to let me do the necessary. Rosie, when the same situation has arisen, simply looked at me with pleading eyes and backed herself nearer :)

You've made me realise that I need to weigh the girls again now they've been 10 days on raw. Both girls I know would eat more as the bowls are polished and lips are licked for quite a while afterwards but I have Rosie on 2.5% so may need to adjust up or down a little.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam, have you noticed your girls having less energy, sleeping more since on the diet. I am wondering whether the drop in carbs/sugar levels as caused this in Otto. I may be seeing something that isn't there but he does seem to be wanting to sleep more at the moment whereas before he rarely slept during the day and got snoozy at about 8.30 pm. I wonder whether this is a common side effect until his body adjusts...
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I did wonder the same about Rosie but I'm not sure whether it's the diet or we've been busier so she's decided to snooze in the absence of anthing happening.

I've seen no change at all in Edie. She is and always will be I suspect, a holy terror. She's so michievious and will do anything for love (or treats). She's impossible to be cross at.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

It is interesting reading the comments regarding the change in activity levels. There are likely to be less carbohydrates/ sugars in a raw diet generally and possibly (depending on the ingredients of the previous diet) less additives which can contribute to hyperactivity in dogs (as with children on a processed or high sugar diet). So many dogs are actually over-active due to this, that high energy levels or reluctance to rest through the day can come to seem normal. It may not necessarily be the case with Otto and Rosie who are also becoming more mature anyway and dogs do not keep up the exuberance of puppyhood once they are adult.

I would not notice any change in ours as they have always been raw fed but generally the puppies have periods of wild activity and up to mischief through the day up to about a year to 18 months of age and from then on begin to rest much more, will settle and sleep unless there is something happening and, although they are always ready for an outing or fun activities at home, they are not "on the go" if nothing is happening but most likely to be snoozing on the sofa.

As with wild dogs who rest much of the time when not hunting for food, domestic dogs of many breeds will not needlessly expend energy unless encouraged to be active once they are adult. It is not so much they have less energy as in being lethargic or tired but they are conserving their energy for when it is needed which is more natural and better for them. I would only worry if a dog was unwilling to go for a walk, play or do training etc. not if they snooze when there is nothing to interest them :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Leigh, I think I am seeing some unexpected benefits. Otto seems more chilled, an interesting transformation over the past few days. I am convinced it is the reduction in carbs. I think his previous food was a bit heavy on them. Difficult to know what is normal with a puppy. He's no different on his walks except, dare I say it, he seems more attentive. I would like it on record that I actually don't mind the smell of tripe and Otto's mouth quivers when he gets it.... :-)
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I just did some research on the carb content of Rosie and Edie's previous food which I thought was good (Forthglade cold pressed grain free).

Forthglade: Protein 28.3%, Fibre 5.3%, Carbs 51.1%

Nutriment: Protein 47.9%, Fibre 7.2%, Carbs 6.3%

There's a huge reduction in the carb content. I looked too at the other brands we've tried and they're all much the same percentage breakdown as the Forthglade.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That is a huge reduction Sam. Otto's carbs have gone from 27% to 7%. It is no surprise therefore that we are seeing some change in energy levels. Otto seems a bit more back to old self now probably because he has had some fruit in last few days. First poop in the morning is quite hard but very small, a bit like the cork coming out which then allows an improved version a little later ... :) I think tripe must loosen the stools a little because the 2 days he was on that his poop was perfect from start to finish. I think alternating every 2 days with meals without bone is going to be key for Otto.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Sam, how are you two getting on? I have upped Otto's food to 300g/day, which is just over 3.5% of his bodyweight, he was gradually losing weight on lower amounts. I think that's about right now and he seems satisfied. His energy levels dipped for a few days when we started the new diet but they are back to where they were pre raw. :-bd
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 11:14 Hi Sam, how are you two getting on? I have upped Otto's food to 300g/day, which is just over 3.5% of his bodyweight, he was gradually losing weight on lower amounts. I think that's about right now and he seems satisfied. His energy levels dipped for a few days when we started the new diet but they are back to where they were pre raw. :-bd
Glad hear that Otto's taken it all in his stride.

I'm delighted with my girl's diet, Julie, especially with Rosie as she was such a fusspot with her food. Now, after waiting for Edie to wolf her food down, she savours every mouthful and polishes the bowl too whereas previously I'd no idea how much, if any, she'd eat.

Rosie's losing a little weight (100g over the 3 weeks) so I'm happy enough with that as she was 9.9kg and I really want her 9kg-9.5kg so I'm sticking with the 2.5% for her. Edie's body continues to catch up with her legs and she is still puting weight on though a little slower than usual which may also be because, at 7 months, she's approaching her adult weight.

I haven't noticed any difference in their energy levels but I think I may end up increasing the percentage I feed them in the late spring to early autumn time as I anticipate longer walks then.

Perhaps a seasoned raw feeder can advise if they find their dogs need more food in the summer as the dogs spend more time outside running around?

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I also have a question for more experienced raw feeders. What do you feed your dogs if they are unwell? I always fed tinned Royal Canin GI always worked better than chicken and rice - is there something better if you have a raw fed dog? Just thinking ahead....
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Julie - re dogs that are unwell. To some extent it will depend on the illness / condition. Just recently, there seems to have been a bug of some sorts affecting dogs in our village and (no doubt not helped by irresponsible owners not cleaning up after their sick dogs) a few of ours did go down with bouts of diarrhoea which took about 4-5 days to clear their system. Not having this kind of issue normally, I gave all dogs Yudigest Plus powder, and added a teaspoon of Tree Barks powder for the ones affected and initially gave the poorly ones cooked chicken rather than their usual raw food. However, I was not really convinced this was helping although not probably doing any harm. I decided to revert back to their raw food, slightly smaller quantity and used a high tripe content food. Had we had just raw tripe I would have given that but it is not something I usually give ours. Although it may seem disgusting to us humans, raw tripe is loaded with good bacteria, is gentle on the stomach for dogs and highly nutritious. I do use the minced tripe rather than chunks but, as I say, with the current Paleo Ridge meals I had in the freezer, I just used the tripe mix. The dogs who were affected did not seem ill in themselves, active and happy, just very loose poo and going frequently day and night, and they did recover completely within 4-5 days.

It is a tricky one to advise on as, even after years of raw feeding, I do have this human centred approach that cooked food would be better when sick but I don't think that is necessarily always the case for dogs with their different digestion. It will though depend on the illness and maybe the individual dog as well so this is not an absolute recommendation in all cases but just the approach I would tend to use from now on :)

There is a link here re raw green tripe for dogs which outlines the benefits and lists conditions for which green tripe could be useful.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/t ... -on-tripe/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/