7 Vets discuss the merits of raw feeding

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

7 Vets discuss the merits of raw feeding

Post by Dinkum »

This video popped up on my Youtube channel and I thought it would be worth sharing. 7 Vets give their take on feeding dogs raw or specie specific food. My boys are both raw fed and thrive on it. I use Nutriment who provide me with a complete meal. So, no messing around with raw meat and veggies in the kitchen.

Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: 7 Vets discuss the merits of raw feeding

Post by zeta1454 »

Good concise views on raw feeding.

It was Interesting to see recently on TV a group of medical students admitting that human medical training is as lacking in nutrition education as veterinary training courses despite the critical link between poor diet and illness. They said about 8 hours was devoted to nutrition in a 5 year course. No doubt the influence of the pharmaceutical companies who provide funds for both medical and veterinary courses and benefit from poor health in both people and their pets and, with dogs, the multinational corporations who produce highly processed pet food.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Very interesting and I recognised the vet that put together the recipe for the food that I now buy. What still amazes me is the ease of transition to raw - perhaps it isn't the same for every dog but in Sam's case, to go from eating kibble for 18 months or so to raw overnight with no issues tells me a lot about suitability for the digestion. In my case, the previous food was probably a bit closer to raw but it took nearly two weeks to transition Otto from one wet food to another wet food and less than 24 hours to go from that wet food to raw. I am indeed a convert. Wish I had been brave enough to put my first schnauzer on raw. Poor thing had colitis for years which I think would have been cured on this diet.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Very interesting. Mine were fed Bella and Duke but have recently changed to Honeys because it is lower fat. My vet is not happy about raw feeding but we agree not to discuss it,however he did comment on how healthy Suzi was at her annual checkup. She has been fed raw since we got her about 18 weeks old.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Here is an interesting article on a trial of the effects of a raw diet on good bacteria. It's a bit techy in places but the conclusion is simple.
https://bmcvetres.biomedcentral.com/art ... 017-0981-z
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I watched this last night at home (my employer is very considerate but youtube is hard to justify when at work :))) and it was an interesting watch.

I agree with Julie, I am a convert to RAW as it was very easy to do and not at all how I imagined it. I thought essential equipment would have been a butcher's block and cleaver and a protective apron when all I needed was a fork to separate the thawed out mince :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/