Low fat RAW options in Northern Ireland

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
ainebee
Puppy
First Name: Aine

Low fat RAW options in Northern Ireland

Post by ainebee »

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could help with recommendations for a supplier who will deliver a complete low fat RAW diet in Northern Ireland. Milo, my older mini schnauzer has just recovered from a bout of pancreatitis and now we have to feed him a low fat diet ideally less than 10% fat. Both my mini schnauzers have been fed complete raw (mostly natures menu) as I can get it conveniently in a local petshop supplemented with various raw meats/occasional bones when we can get them from the butcher.

The issue I have is that most of the complete Natures menu options are too high in fat. The senior version meets the requirements but the petshop frequently doesn't have this in stock so I am looking for an alternative. Also the volume of the senior required is much higher which means it has doubled the cost of feeding. I would prefer a complete option for convenience but don't mind supplementing. Most suppliers of RAW in mainland GB don't deliver to NI so I am at a bit of a loss. Nutriment used to do this but they have stopped delivering here now. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks as I am extremely reluctant to move him onto a low fat kibble as suggested by the vet.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Low fat RAW options in Northern Ireland

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Aine - I think that the current crisis re Covid-19 has meant that DPD who deliver for most of the mainland British raw dog food suppliers are suspending some of these for a variety of reasons - high demand, requisition for health supplies, fewer staff etc. Hopefully this will ease before too long but may well affect all exports from England to Northern Ireland from the raw dog food companies.

There is a raw food shop in NI which may be of some help to you?

https://m.facebook.com/Dogfood.Catfood. ... Di46_qRu0y

There are other companies in England such as Natural Instinct and Paleo Ridge who have sent food by DPD in the past but have suspended it because of the crisis affecting delivery. This should change in the future. The company linked to above may have more local knowledge to help re a source in NI for you or perhaps another Forum member in NI.

I will research a bit more and post again if I can find any alternatives for you.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Aine,

Both of my dogs are Raw fed using Nutriment. They do a light support complete meal which is based on turkey and tripe. I just looked on their website and there are 5 stockists in Northern Ireland.

www.nutriment.co.uk/stockists
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Just an additional suggestion if you cannot source the Nutriment from the stockists Sam suggested above or another raw food option, there are a variety of other types of food which are not highly processed and would be at least a short term option until things get back to normal. Natures Menu do have their Country Hunter range some of which are below 10% fat (raw nuggets ) but they also do pouches which although not raw are lightly cooked and seem to be low in fat (5.5% on the ones I checked).

https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/chdpf-superfood-selection

I think from a calorie intake point of view with raw food this does tend to come from the fat so the lower the fat, the more you may need to feed. In many processed dog foods, the protein (meat) is supplemented with high levels of carbohydrates to bulk up the food but this is not an ideal source of calories for dogs.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
ainebee
Puppy
First Name: Aine

Post by ainebee »

Thanks everyone, we were using Natural Raw food NI, but they are having supplier issues. Muddling through with some of the natures menu and nutriment options, so thanks for your advice.