Barf Food Lists

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Lipgloss
First Name: Michelle

Barf Food Lists

Post by Lipgloss »

Last edited by Lipgloss on 26 Apr 2008, 14:58, edited 2 times in total.
Michelle, who reckons all dogs should have their meat and eat it...!
BFG
First Name: Nicola
Born: 09 Oct 2004

Post by BFG »

The lists are great Michelle, I have printed them out to go in my folder of information.

Thankyou.
Spencer the BFG
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

This is great big thank you.

Just like BFG mine is going into my folder.

This is a great help thank you again
Jools

Post by Jools »

looks good to me :)
A man is already halfway in love with any woman who listens to him.
snazy

Post by snazy »

Could you say why alkaloids should only be fed occasionally? What effect do they have on the dog?
Lipgloss

Post by Lipgloss »

snazy wrote:Could you say why alkaloids should only be fed occasionally? What effect do they have on the dog?
Oh, I wish I were a scientist, but alas all Info I give is what I find out for myself online or in books! I thought the explanation on alkaloids on my fruit and veg list was sufficient, but it looks like I must explore alkaloids a bit more.
Alkaloids are organic compounds produced by plants. These substances constitute the active ingredients of many drugs.
Alkaloids occur naturally in nature. They are nitrogen-containing compounds that are alkaline when in solution. We taste them as "bitter." They exert a physiological presence. Nicotine and caffeine are alkaloids!
There are many different alkaloids- alot of them are deadly!
ALKALOIDS are nitrogen-bearing alkaline chemicals that originate in plants. Alkaloids are derived from amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, and especially affect the nervous system. They occur in at least 40% of all plants. Some alkaloids are useful medicines; others are harmful, even fatal. Most are bitter-tasting.
So they are not just harmful to our 4 legged friends but also to us.
Apparently in moderation they can not harm- to be honest I would not risk it. There are enough vegetables and fruits that are harmless out there!
This link is also very good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaloid
Please note that these certain plants/vegetables/fruits are dangerous when eaten raw. For example a cooked potato is harmless to us and our dogs-
To the question of what alkaloids can do to our dogs, I can only imagine that a dog that ingests too much would have the side effects of poisoning, including vomiting, kidney failure etc. :cry:
snazy

Post by snazy »

I just find it easier to remember to not do something because of XXX consequence.

What you have on your site and said above is (constructive criticism here!) just the 'science bit' and doesn't actually say why they should be fed in moderation. Do you know what I mean? Like talking a lot about hydrocarbons rather then - the car stops working if you don't put petrol in.
Jools

Post by Jools »

ok then:

alkaloids can cause the side effects of poisoning, including vomiting, kidney failure etc.
A man is already halfway in love with any woman who listens to him.
Lipgloss

Post by Lipgloss »

Thanks toniks.
@snazy
I thought I'd made it understandable why alkaloids were not actually good for you. :?
For example, if you see alkaloids being Nicotine and caffeine (which these are too) then you know that too much intake can cause cancers, heart attacks,strokes etc. They are natural poisons which are also used as drugs, some more lethal than others.
Best bet is not to feed anything raw containing alkaloids - but those of you who feed commercial dog food won't have to worry about this anyway. :wink:
Tulip

Re: Barf Food Lists

Post by Tulip »

Just bumping this for fellow BARF feeders - found this very useful for reading up!
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

I have it printed out so I can check I'm not giving anything I shouldn't
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Wise woman - I have to memorise!
Kenny + Jacqui
First Name: Jacqui
Dog #1: Jessie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Mar 2013

Post by Kenny + Jacqui »

Hi,

Can someone tell me the reason raw pork is not good for dogs? Jessie is on a raw food diet with a mixture of the following: steak, pork, chicken, offal and chicken wings.
I have read that pork isn't very good for them; this is Jessie's favourite!!!
Kenny & Jacqui, mum and dad to Jessie.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Kenny + Jacqui wrote:Hi,

Can someone tell me the reason raw pork is not good for dogs? Jessie is on a raw food diet with a mixture of the following: steak, pork, chicken, offal and chicken wings.
I have read that pork isn't very good for them; this is Jessie's favourite!!!
It's a problem in some countries and historically in the UK due to meat being infected, but I give mine pork that is from the human food chain, ie supermarket bought and it's 100% safe, I've not got any worries. I don't give it often as it tends to be a fatty meat and waistlines need watching in this house, but they get ribs and the occasional mince.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

How about Pig trotters as a treat?

Bought some at the Farmers Market last week and put them in the freezer. Haven't been brave enough to let them have them yet!
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage