Guide to blades

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Guide to blades

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 14 Mar 2019, 15:04

If you're anything like me you probably wondered what's the difference between a 7 or 10 blade. The higher the number, the shorter the cut. Here's a guide to the blade numbers v lenth of uncut hair.

Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

GoEmGo
Puppy
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Re: Guide to blades

Post by GoEmGo » 15 Mar 2019, 11:15

Thank you for this.

For a total novice and new miniature schnauzer owner looking to embark on home grooming, this is invaluable. I will be clipping, rather than stripping. I know a no. 10 is the 'standard' blade to go for when clipping the body but had no idea it was quite so short. For Monty's first cut I think I will keep his coat a little longer. At the moment (and after his first bath) he is a little furball and enjoying the slicker brush every evening!

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 15 Mar 2019, 11:36

Hi Emma,

I think a 10 is a little short for Monty's body.

My understanding of the blades to use for a mini are:

Body, back and sides 7

Heads, ears and tummy 10
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 15 Mar 2019, 11:57

Emma, Sam's suggestion is generally what showing breeders/groomers use but it's too sharp a look for my liking. (Generally the tummy isn't clipped on a schnauzer, it's scissor cut to be level with the skirt length unless the skirt length is really short then I guess you might as well clip and the clipping under body for me is the winky and a couple of inches in front of that in the warmer months to keep dog cool.) Although I strip the jacket/body now on my previous schnauzer I found a 3 a super length that helped to make the jacket look stripped and I use a 5 on the cheeks/head and 7 on the ears. You tend to find that you are probably doing it every 4/5 weeks if you leave it that length although in the Winter I didn't and don't clip from about October to start of Spring, I just used a coat king to remove dead hair and scissor cut if anywhere looked untidy.
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......

GoEmGo
Puppy
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo » 15 Mar 2019, 14:20

Thanks both. At the moment, Monty is only 12 weeks old and his coat is ridiculously soft and light and fluffy! I don't know if this is because he is white or whether this is just a schnauzer thing. Will definitely tread with caution when having a go at this first groom. Been doing plenty of research and will probably go for the 3 as you suggested, Julie. At the moment, I'm getting him used to brushes, combs and the odd nail trim.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 15 Mar 2019, 14:44

Yes it will be really really soft puppy hair and it is going to get fluffier pre clipping :D You will probably look at Monty and think I am sure there is a schnauzer in there somewhere..... Sounds like you are doing all the right things Emma. I was taught to clip my first schnauzer by a breeder. She supervised me as I wanted the breed standard pattern. I can still remember the fear when I held the clipper for the first time. Ha, just remembered, I also remember forgetting to change my blade size and clipped a shorter stripe down Oscar's back, looked like a runway strip =))
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......