Starting to hand strip a puppy

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Starting to hand strip a puppy

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hahahaha! I read that to my OH! That's so funny, it got me laughing, I needed that. Yeah I don't actually think she was a puppy mill, but I do think she's been doing this for a long time and puts forth minimal but acceptable effort. I think with all the stress, she was thinking about profit over caring where her pups went. I mean, I could never be a breeder, I am a family schnauzer person ;) Thanks for talking me down, I got myself a bit wound up :-o

Greeders ;) I like that. I mean I don't like them, but it describes them perfectly.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Otto is 3. I like a smart ear and I would never be able to strip the ear and keep it short enough for it to look tidy. I do run the andis tool over his ear in the Winter when the hair is a bit longer. I probably could have stripped the head but I would have had to tug hard because his hair is so soft and he wouldn't have liked that so instead I clip on a long blade 5 and it does look stripped and then blend with thinners at the stripped hair at the neck. The great news about diy grooming is that you can do exactly what you want when you want. Here's a photo when he was a baby so you can see his colouring.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

What a cute baby 😍 Otto looks to be younger than Ozzy in the baby pic, he already has more silver in the face. So adorable it's not allowed 😋

I already stripped his head and ears a bit, it seemed to come out easily like the rest of his longest hairs, but they are very soft. I guess it might thicken up as he matures? He has fine hair, but lots of it.

Thanks for the info Julie, it really helps 😉
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Oops double post
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hi Julie, i've been trying to find the andis tool, but it's out of stock rn, or very pricey in my location. I can wait for it to be available again on Amazon, or do you have a close second favorite deshedding tool for schnauzer undercoat? I've seen the furminators, but i'm not sure about what's the best to get.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Kat, it's my favourite out of all the non knives, I bought a different one which was recommended to me, cost a lot more and it didn't remove anything, I think a furminator might cut a lot of wire but never used one.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 17:19 Hi Kat, it's my favourite out of all the non knives, I bought a different one which was recommended to me, cost a lot more and it didn't remove anything, I think a furminator might cut a lot of wire but never used one.
Ok tx, i'll wait for the andis tool 😉

So this is what I did to Ozzy's face

I think I trimmed too far down the nose. Luckily it wasn't that much yet.

So do I let these sections grow out?

Also do you card his face?
Thanks!
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Yes let those areas grow and comb down the muzzle. There may be some stubborn hairs that only grow upwards, right at the top and you can trim those in an inverted V right between the eyes. No carding of the face but you can (later) comb the knife through the beard when it is fully grown to encourage some new growth and it pulls out dead hair. Have you watched the you tube video of a lady stripping and clipping two of her schnauzers. You might find it really helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dN93mP ... tj&index=2
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ok thanks! I'll watch that now! Also that was a helpful explanation on which hairs to let grow out. Pretty much all of them if they don't stand straight up right? I will comb his beard right now, don't know why I didn't???

Edit: ok I had found this vid, tx it's great, i'll watch again!
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Alright, well turns out I was using the wrong side of the stripping knife for carding all along!

I wonder if that did any damage to Ozzy's coat? I didn't seem to get much wire coat, more a fuzzy ball when you're done with it (if you know what I mean), but using it the correct way I get way more fuzzy undercoat. So it's obvious my carding attempts were not as effective as they could've been, but did they have any big negative effects?

Holding the knife that way and carding feels really unnatural to me now. And I really only use the knife for carding, as I still use my fingers to hand strip. So I'm wondering if getting a knife designed for left handed ppl might be better for me?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Ha ha I read your post about the wrong side on the other thread. I doubt it's done any damage you just haven't been getting as much under coat out.
I have Jasper facing me and card away from my body. I can't use the right handed knife with left hand. Never thought about using a left handed one. I'd have to put a big L and R on each knife otherwise I'd be forever picking up the wrong one =)) Can't see why it wouldn't work though.

I get more undercoat out using the handled deshedding rakes rather than stripping knife.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ok thanks! I think I'll order one and let you know how I get on.

I have noticed he doesn't like carding as much as he did holding it the wrong way. Do you think it would hurt to use it the 'wrong' way first? To detangle I guess? I think there's a lot of undercoat to get out now. I just was wondering if I was accidentally cutting the undercoat?

I'll also get an undercoat rake asap. I know about the Andis tool, which one do you use?
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hi Julie, I finally ordered the Andis tool. I should get it in a few days. Can't wait!
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Omg I LOVE the Andis tool! Look how much undercoat I got out!

Can't figure out why my pics won't work
Anyway I'm AMAZED how much undercoat I was leaving using only the stripping knife. Defo my favorite undercoat rake. Def recommend to anyone wanting a good undercoat rake.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

It worked!

It's getting bigger lol!

So when should stop combing? I am still getting hair out areas I've gone over a few times.
Also his coat looks shorter? Like ALL his puppy fluff is coming out. I can see a big difference between the areas I went over and the areas I still have to work on like the back end.

I'll try to get a pic later