Schnauzers and the heat

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Schnauzers and the heat

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hey all! So nice the weather is finally warming up and it's beautiful out!

I think Ozzy is more a winter dog, he hasn't seen the summer yet, but he loves the snow and doesn't seem to get cold. He wears a coat on a really cold day, but really he seems to thrive in the cold. One thing is for certain, he just loves it outside.

Since the change in seasons, Ozzy has taken to sunbathing on my deck, but I've noticed he gets warm very quickly and moves to the shade or inside. It's gonna get a lot hotter and stickier leading into summer, and I'm starting to worry about what I should do to help him keep cool. My passed girl got warm quickly as well, she was a dark S&P, but poor Ozzy gets the sun full force on his black coat.

I've been hand stripping like crazy, trying to shorten his jacket, is that what I should do? Keep going till it's super short?

Anyone have words to ease my mind on the weatherproof stripped coat? Does it help cool the dog as well as insulate against cold?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Schnauzers and the heat

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Kat,
We find that cooling mats and cooling jackets for dogs are two great options for keeping dogs cool in the heat. If Ozzy doesn’t like to wear a jacket of any kind he may not appreciate the cooling coat but our dogs do like the mats in the hottest weather. We also have shades over their beds on the patio to keep the sun away and plenty of water - even a paddling pool if Ozzy likes getting wet will help to cool him down.

As for his jacket, hand stripping is the best way to keep a double coated dog cool as the harsh outer hairs reflect the sunlight away from the body whereas the soft undercoat will absorb the heat and if shaved close a dog can get burned by the sun. There are some links here to explain it in more detail :)

https://albertnorthvetclinic.wordpress. ... uldnt-you/

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/w ... in-summer/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I got the very large gel type cooling mat last year Jasper never used it but we did =))

He's the opposite though gets cold in the winter but not seen him panting getting hot in the summer. If its going to be a really hot day I normally get him wet in the sea before a walk that keeps him cool for the whole walk.

I've often wondered if its to do with him being white. Barney never suffered with heat either. Our neighbours dog is black and white patched Its amazing the temperature difference when you touch the white with one hand and the black with the other when hes been in the sun.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Thanks Leigh, that was super helpful! No Ozzy has no aversity to wearing clothes, so a cooling jacket could for sure help! We have air conditioning, so it's more when he's outside (which he loves) that I'm concerned about. But I may get a cooling mat as well. My past boy used to bear rug on the cool kitchen tile before we got air. I wonder if he'd like a kiddie pool? My passed minis were not a fan of water and getting wet, but I had them clippered, not hand stripped. I don't want Ozzy to mind the weather, it would be a shame if he stayed in all day.

Thanks Allison, I do think the coat color has a lot to do with it. My S&P boy was lighter in shade and didn't get warm like my dark S&P girl. At least Jasper could wear a coat for the cold weather so he can still enjoy the outdoors.

Oh and lol, I bought Ozzy a light grey sport tank to disguise his black coat. Don't know if it'll help, but I have it to try.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

And I forgot to add thanks Alison for the tip on spritzing down before a walk, that will be very helpful.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Cooling jackets that you moisten are just the best thing ever. After a walk I put one on Otto (he wouldn't walk with one on) and he cools down really quickly. He also loves his cooling gel mat. As for grooming I clip all the hair from the underside and under the arms which seems to help but Otto has a black stripped jacket and he gets sooo hot in the Summer.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ok thanks Julie, that is helpful. I was thinking the cooling jackets had gel inserts on the sides. I'm glad I have a plan for the summer heat, because I didn't want Ozzy to miss out on any fun outside.

Yeah I clipped (with scissors) his armpits and yesterday, they were starting to matt up anyway. Good to know about the black coat, I 100% think it makes a big difference.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ok update, I got some cooling mats. After a walk, he plopped on the floor in front of the fan and I put his front paw pads on the mat. It didn't take long for him to catch on! Now he alternates between cooling off on the mat and sunbathing on the deck. Next we'll get an outdoor carpet for the deck. Our little boo is so spoiled haha

We got two of them, one for the kitchen bed and one for the livingroom/entrance area where he spends most his time and sleeps there.

I haven't received the cooling jacket yet. For now, it's not humid yet, so wetting his neck and underside works well.

Thanks all for the recommendations!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Great to hear that the mats are a success! Love the photo too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Thanks and thanks Leigh, it was you who suggested them to me.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I bought a huge one heavy duty one last year 120cm X 75cms for Jasper. OH pinched it for laying on, on the settee :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Dawnspell wrote: 17 May 2021, 09:21 I bought a huge one heavy duty one last year 120cm X 75cms for Jasper. OH pinched it for laying on, on the settee :))
=)) =)) Good idea actually