Black Puppy

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Grace44
Puppy
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Pepper
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Oct 2014
Dog #2: Darcy
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jul 2021

Black Puppy

Post by Grace44 »

Hi
We have just picked up our new puppy, 8 weeks old. He was black but has been trimmed by the breeder and his body is now dark grey. I have read that in order to keep a back coat he will need to be hand stripped. I can't see any black at all now and I am worried we have a grey dog with a black head. His Mum was black and dad pepper and salt.
Any advice welcome please!

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Black Puppy

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Karen, your puppy looks very sweet. Two general points re coat colour:
Hand stripping is definitely the best way to maintain the colour of a schnauzer coat. Even pepper and salt minis can lose the pepper and salt colouring and end up with a pale silver or grey dog if they are not hand stripped. This is because clipping or shaving the hair removes the harsh top coat and exposes the undercoat which is often a paler solid colour and softer hair.

Any mating of two different coloured schnauzers is unpredictable as regards how the puppy will develop. Again, even e.g. a mating between two P&S schnauzers can produce puppies of a very light or very dark colouring as they mature but with two completely different colours the mature dog’s colouring is never certain. True Black or Black and Silver mini schnauzers are only bred from lines on both sides with the same colour.

However, as regards your little one, he is still very young so the harsh adult coat will not be evident yet, especially as he has been clipped. As his hair grows longer, if you can start stripping out the soft grey puppy coat you may find that he does have a good black coat coming through so don’t despair or think he will remain grey. From the second photo he does look to have black coat where it has not been clipped. The grey coat on his head and body is just the undercoat and hand stripping should bring back his black top coat :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Grace44
Puppy
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Pepper
Born: 28 Oct 2014
Dog #2: Darcy
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jul 2021

Re: Black Puppy

Post by Grace44 »

Hi Leigh thank you for the explanation, I will look into finding a groomer who can show me what to do. It seems very hard to find groomers who can do a good schnauzer groom based on my experience with our older mini! :)