Whitening Shampoo ?? Whats best ?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Robert Lockwood
First Name: ROBERT

Whitening Shampoo ?? Whats best ?

Post by Robert Lockwood »

I currently use Animology White wash (ready mixed tubes) on my 2 P/S minis on their beards , furnishings and bums . I am hoping to get a dog to show next spring and was thinking of getting a large 5l concentrated bottle of the white wash to do all 3 or should i be looking at a different product for the showdog ?or all 3? Groomers Blue pearl was recommended on an earlier thread but i've never used it . Ive also seen Wahl Diamond white on- line in 5l bottles and its half the price £25/£50 of the Animology any input would be appreciated.

Once mixed does the shampoo keep or should it be used more or less straight away ?
And finally i'm getting mixed ideas on shampooing a hand-stripped coat Yes/no and again which products please ? - right that'll do... for now !! Thanks :D
stacyr

Re: Whitening Shampoo ?? Whats best ?

Post by stacyr »

Glad you asked this question, id also like to know which is the best whitening one, charlie's beard seems to be getting brown and id like to try and get rid of it
Stacy
P/S Mini - Charlie; Black Standard - Ozzie
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I use White Wash, it makes the hair very light though so you might need some mousse for hold. Great for whitening though and better than blue pearl in my opinion. I really like it though. I do like Lite n Brite though from Dezynadog.
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014
is a: P/S Mini Bitch

Post by summer46 »

I have yet to find a really good white shampoo for dogs.

People I have spoken to recommend Kelco plum white. There is also EZ groom crystal white which is supposed to break down the enzymes that cause the staining.
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]
hart
First Name: odette

Post by hart »

Redcape do a product called Eye envy, which can also be used on beards and feet to get rid of brown staining.

I also recommend their shampoos and conditioners, they are FANTASTIC, making grooming so easy :-bd
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

We use Animology and also White on White. These products are not really whitening as in bleaching they are more colour enhancers and some can actually be used on any colour coat. As regards price, you might want to check the dilution as some are diluted only 10 times whereas Animology is 20 times so this may need to be taken into account. The Animology does need to be used within 24 hours of making up but I would use it on all the dogs and it is still cheaper than buying most ready to use products certainly of that quality. Mostly you shouldn't be shampooing the coat if it is hand-stripped as this can affect the harshness but if you need to do so choose a product for harsh coats.
Might be worth getting in touch with Redcape (mentioned above) and arranging to visit their warehouse - they were very helpful when we went - although it is a hall of temptation if you are not careful :D
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robert Lockwood

I'll have a nice word with my groomer and see if i can buy some neat Animology from him , i suspect a 5 litre tub would be overkill !! . He's used Animology products for a while but seems to be getting more into Requal products these days ... thanks all for your input it seems i may already be on the right track but doesn't stop me trying to find something better ! When i hand stripped Maisie i never washed her main coat but had read threads to the contrary - i think i'll stick to this unless the coat became heavily soiled for some reason...
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I don't bath Nog's coat at all, I thought I had to when another breeder said the skin needed to be cleaned but actually when you card through you're bringing all the dirt and oils to the surface, so it stays very clean. As a result I've never bathed her jacket apart from when she was a wee puppy (who doesn't love burying their face in a freshly bathed puppy?!) and she has great skin and coat. If you're finding you want something to freshen the coat though, you can use a spray on the coat such as Plush Puppy odour eater. I do as Leigh does and wash all three with the shampoo when it's made up.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Mine are bathed weekly....coat and all and there is no problem with any of their coats/jackets or furnishings because of it. I have currently 13 different shampoos and im sure that will increase after my chritsmas spree :D I love wahl deep black as it does black and white coats so great as a maintenace bather, #1 all systems whitening shampoo is a nice quality one, another of my faves and yes the EZ Groom crystal white is really very good, its my now not so secret weapon! for maintenance bathing i also like dezynadog magic formula protein plus as well as crown and glory shampoo, on my american i also use de-matt balsam and scultpure rinse. Conditioner wise, I love groomers tropical cream oh and for harsh wire coats i like groomers seaweed and cucmber shampoo.
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014

Post by summer46 »

I have heard good reviews for groomers cucumber and seaweed may try this out as its not too pricey either. I also bath mine often so far it has not altered their coats. I am currently using Chris Christensen black on black and I love it. It leaves Zekes coat shiny without losing the texture. I do love trying different shampoos :)
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]
Robert Lockwood

Just thought I would update this post because although the post is only 5 months old from my angle it is now out of date... :) I stopped using the Animology because although it cleaned well it left the coat quite lightweight and prone to knotting even if brushed and combed everyday. I now use Requal Riflex shampoo and biojen conditioner and have found this much better it seems to help the coat dry quicker and the coat has a better feel to it and doesn't knot at all now- highly recommended.. :D
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Wahl Diamond White is my new fave now. :D
Jamuot
First Name: Samantha
Dog #1: Jack
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Dog #2: Otto
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Dog #3: Murphy
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by Jamuot »

Perfect timing Robert, this was going to be one of my next questions! :-bd

We don't bathe our dogs regularly as they go to the groomers, we generally brush them through and that does the trick and only bath them if they are really grubby. Seeing as it looks like I'm the groomer now ( :-o ) I'm interested to know what shampoo people regularly use on their dogs that won't affect their fur or skin and smells yummy :D I had looked at the big 5l ones - is that overkill with 3 dogs and a smaller bottle will be sufficient?

Interested to know what others use too...... :)
Samantha, Andrew and our ASBO mini schnauzers
Jack, Otto and Murphy

Our first schnauzer and first ever dog, Beau passed away 2nd June 2010 aged 12 years
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

I use the Wahl shampoos :-bd
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
Robert Lockwood

SamanthaSpearing wrote:Perfect timing Robert, this was going to be one of my next questions! :-bd

We don't bathe our dogs regularly as they go to the groomers, we generally brush them through and that does the trick and only bath them if they are really grubby. Seeing as it looks like I'm the groomer now ( :-o ) I'm interested to know what shampoo people regularly use on their dogs that won't affect their fur or skin and smells yummy :D I had looked at the big 5l ones - is that overkill with 3 dogs and a smaller bottle will be sufficient?

Interested to know what others use too...... :)
Samantha , the 5 litre tubs are most definitely the way to go , I only got a 1 litre Requal but won't next time... The big difference I've found with the salon grade diluteable shampoo is how different it is to the shop bought bottles or tubes, when I first mixed up 30ml of requal to 300ml of water I thought i'd done something wrong ...you end up with something not resembling shampoo at all but just a coloured liquid ! I asked the groomer and he said to sponge the solution (spontex type sponge) onto the dog- it's more akin to washing a car than shampooing as we know it ! I rinse the paws/legs and beard and re-lather those twice before rinsing which is easy as there isn't actually that much lather. I then repeat with the conditioner. I do this weekly but i'm careful not to lather where their spot-on flea treatment has been and only do this area when the flea treatment is due again. At first it seem a big chore to bathe the dogs weekly and blow dry them but i'm getting quicker and can have both done in an hour. If you are to do your own grooming they will need bathing before or your clippers and scissors will blunt very quickly. :)