Coat cut

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Coat cut

Post by zeta1454 »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 08 May 2019, 15:32 Oh my word, that look doesn't appeal to me at all :(

My favourite look of the 12 pictures was dog 3:

I love that area on the neck, defining the beard even more. I need to make sure I show this picture to my groomer to see if we can get Oscar looking like that :)
Mike - this dog is actually one of our Pip's boys (Oliver) :) He has been groomed by a professional groomer who has mini schnauzers himself and and has shown them in the past. The cut is closest to the "breed standard" look as a result.
Oliver's grooming is the only one of the dogs pictured that I know about as we keep in close touch with his family due to him being Pip's son. It is my favourite look too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
P3Charmedfan3
First Name: Alison

Post by P3Charmedfan3 »

Hello!
I am a new miniature schnauzer owner. My little guy is now 5 months old.
Would someone be able to tell me what type of grooming was used for dog #7? I'm guessing stripping because there is still black, but based on all these different looks just stripped vs. clipped can't be the only difference.

Thanks so much!
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

P3Charmedfan3 wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 17:04 Hello!
I am a new miniature schnauzer owner. My little guy is now 5 months old.
Would someone be able to tell me what type of grooming was used for dog #7? I'm guessing stripping because there is still black, but based on all these different looks just stripped vs. clipped can't be the only difference.

Thanks so much!
Hi Alison and welcome to the Forum :)

I took the photos of the different mini schnauzers at a schnauzer get-together some months ago. The minis were with their families and I don't know whose was dog #7 so not able to be 100% sure re the grooming. It does look as though hand stripping is being done as the coat looks to be the harsh jacket and not the soft undercoat. As with size and other characteristics, miniature schnauzers do vary quite a lot in appearance and in the quality and texture of their coat with some having a good harsh jacket which can be maintained by regular stripping and others whose coat is much softer. Heredity has a lot to do with the quality of the coat so you can usually tell if the parent dogs had good jackets that their offspring will inherit this. Pepper and salt miniature schnauzers often do seem to have harsher jackets than the solid colours although this is a generalisation, of course.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Looks clipped to me Leigh, a very nice groom.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 10:11 Looks clipped to me Leigh, a very nice groom.
Could be clipped - it can be harder to tell when the jacket is long as this one seems to be.One of Magic's pups (now 6 years old) comes to us for a "tidy up" and scissoring periodically and she is hand stripped in between by her human Mum but left longer than we would on ours generally and she has a similar look.

It is hard to tell though from just a photo without being able to feel the coat too but the fact that the banded hairs are still quite evident made me think it was more likely to be a hand strip. I also don't know how old this mini is - clipping usually leads to the colour becoming more monochrome as the banded hairs are all removed but, if there have only been one or two sessions it may not be as noticeable, especially if there is a long gap between clips which allows the banded hairs to grow back in.

I am not certain though so you could well be right :-)