grooming around the mouth

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
nickynoo
Puppy
First Name: Nicky

grooming around the mouth

Post by nickynoo »

Hi all. I have a 7.5 month old mini that i have groomed from day 1. Stripping the jacket, scissor the legs, clipping ears and (after not much success at striiping) head. I am now getting to the devil in the detail with the face. So the beard. I understand it is not necessary to trim the beard, but what if anything is done around the mouth? I have seen some videos where they trim under the nose, but this doesnt seem an issue really. However the corners of the mouth are very stained and i wonder how people keep this area clean. I recently disccered a number of dirty matts around the mouth area that i had missed and it got me wondering if there areany little tips and tricks that im mussing.
Also, i am parting the beard over the nose. On some videos they seem to take hair from the corner of the eyes? What is this, can anyone give me a more detailed explanation. There seems to be a bit of excess hair between the mjddle of eyebrows and the top of nose that is sticking up. Should i cut this out to create more of a stop between the eyebrows? Once i get the lines in we'll be away..
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: grooming around the mouth

Post by Robin black mini »

https://www.google.it/search?q=schnauze ... LXeAfhjq3M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:

If you google schnauzer head grooming chart then click on images you will have a huge selection of head shot images to look at...I used to also go to breeders websites who showed their dogs and really study the groomed dogs...from the images in the link above you will find alook that you like and aim to get that with your dog..I would particularly be looking at black and silver schnauzer images too as your colour has the two coloured beard which also will affect your cut.
Re the mouth hair..I've never had to trim around the mouth..and always keep a metal comb at hand...I have one by my bed ,one by my arm chair and obviously one on the grooming table..this way my dog will get her beard combed through at least three times in a day..no tangles . A flea comb is also useful to get deep into the beard and eyebrows..
I wash the beard each week when the dog is bathed and condition well.. The combing in the day keeps it clean and sometimes I will spray detangling spray onto my hands and rub them down the beard after a comb to keep the beard smooth and slick.
I don't cut the hair on the bridge of the nose at all and part it to lay down with the beard...as the beard grows you will find it keeps its shape easier than a short cut. The link I posted above is showing an American groom where they do cut the hair as you ask...also they leave a wide gap between the eyebrows which we in Europe don't do..all personal choice..
I periodically run a stripping comb through my girls beard to get out the dead hair which shows up as brown...new hair growth will come in and does grow upwards,so it gets slicked down with a bit of detangling spray to train It into shape.
You could try running a stripping comb on the pink / reddened hairs to see if they will shed out ..