NEW MEMBER: Stripping 6 month old Puppy??

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
gsharp9
Puppy
First Name: Greg

NEW MEMBER: Stripping 6 month old Puppy??

Post by gsharp9 »

We have a new addition to our family - an adorable black mini. We were told he is "supercoated" like his pop.

He has VERY different coat from our "old man" mini. (had him for 16 years)

The new guy's hair is super FINE and wispy with some slight wave to it. He definitely has a mega fine undercoat that is visibly different. I'm wondering about stripping him instead of clipping as to begin the process of stiffening up his coat (along with the fact that i like that look so much better) Is this a waste of my time? Can he ever get to that look?

THANKS,

Gsharp9
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: NEW MEMBER: Stripping 6 month old Puppy??

Post by Robin black mini »

Welcome Greg..
I'd say it's definitely worth a try to strip your pup...post a pic and we can start from there with his coat..if you give stripping a go you can decide if you want to continue after a few months,as you see his wire coat develop ..if you clip straight away,you will find it much harder to recover any wire and may regret taking the easiest option..
I was impressed by my breeders evaluation of his litter at eight weeks...he could tell which would have great wire..more or less undercoat...so if you trust the breeders experience,and he predicts a good coat prospect,it's definitely worth giving stripping a go..
Please have a read through the grooming section on board as we've had a lot of new members interested in stripping their pups and there is a lot of info as to the first equipment you will need to buy,to start your journey..
Example..
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi, yes I would support giving it a go. I am patiently waiting for my DK stripping knife all the way from Denmark which was recommended to me. This is my first time of trying and I think I am making good progress.

My previous dog had a similar coat to your description. I always clipped him but nonetheless he developed a very wiry coat particularly around the neck area. Think he would have had a fantastic stripped coat. Good luck and there is always plenty of advice from experienced owners.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
gsharp9
Puppy

Post by gsharp9 »

so here's a pic of our adorable little "hot hairy mess" :))

g

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome

Is that a trick of the light on the photo or does he have lighter colour legs ? Just with you saying he was a black.

From what I understand of "supercoated" isn't that supposed to be ones that have been bred to produce profuse undercoat? In which case you'll have a hard time trying to get wire coat.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
gsharp9
Puppy

Post by gsharp9 »

Dawnspell wrote:Hi and welcome

Is that a trick of the light on the photo or does he have lighter colour legs ? Just with you saying he was a black.
the light in the photo did accentuate that a little but yes... the hair on the bottom of his legs seems like it ALL undercoat - and it is definitely a lighter grey than the rest of him... that developed just recently. he was jet black when we got him. I have been hoping that stripping him could regain some of that dark luster he had when we first got him.

g
Robin black mini

Hi Greg,
The pic helps a lot..he is a good candidate for stripping...I see a pup with a lot of dead coat in perfect timing for stripping...the brown hair is dead hair,and will strip very well...
The legs have sparser hair( like my girl) compared to some USA lines which have very full furnishings ,but trust me this will be a boon in bad weather when you bring in your dog to dry off and de mud etc..
The images here show some USA schnauzers bred to have " super coats" ..some say they have spaniel in their lines to get these extremes,both for unusual colours and prolific coat .Obviously , they are not AKC breeders..look at the colours as well,they are not bred for standard colours.. :(
You pup is not like this and I bet your breeder's comment meant he will have a super coat( good wire),not a " supercoat" ( abundant).
https://www.google.it/search?q=schnauze ... ent=safari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The leg hair on your dog looks like it's de coloured ,probablydue to salt on the roads ...be sure to rinse pups feet after a walk and slicker brush legs to get this out ...this was happening to my black too ,as we've had some snow/ ice and the salted pavements have de coloured the hair tips on her legs...I would pull a stripping stone over the legs,gripping the hair against the stone,also brushing the stone on the legs,shoulders etc will get dead hair off gently...,..,whilst you will use a coarse stripping knife to first card the body and then strip the longer hairs.You won't trim the legs or beard for this first session..get him used to your knife skills and make the groom stress free.
I would also leave the head and ears the first few sessions,as you will need to buy clippers eg arco moser cordless) and may want to decide first if you are going to keep stripping him( I don't see why not) :-bd

so to start ,you need a coarse stripping knife. A stripping stone( I cut mine into three pieces so they are easier to handle) and a soft slicker brush,a metal greyhound comb.....this should get you on your way.
When you have your tools I can help you more if you wish,plus please read the stripping posts ,on our grooming section ..,especially the stickies which will get you into the idea of techniques and patterns...I watched the Kate werk videos which are very clear for setting the patterns and show you the knife in action.
Finally ,use a table when you groom...this will make your life easier as you progress...dog learns it is there for a purpose and saves your back ..lol
gsharp9
Puppy

Post by gsharp9 »

I really appreciate the response and advice. Really looking forward to starting the journey. I’m sure I’ll have questions.

I was wondering about the brown hair! Sometimes it’s almost like it’s even dark red.

So, just to be clear... don’t worry about his head and ears for now? His eyebrows, ears, and beard are just a wreck and I’ve been wondering if I should shape them up somehow First. But waiting is not a problem if that would be better.

G
Robin black mini

gsharp9 wrote:I really appreciate the response and advice. Really looking forward to starting the journey. I’m sure I’ll have questions.

I enjoy these grooming posts..I'm an avid groomer ,after three standard poodles grooming is a part of my life..

Hi again..

For me to be clear...you say your last dog was sixteen..did you ever try stripping him

Quote..."I was wondering about the brown hair! Sometimes it’s almost like it’s even dark red."

the browning out of a black pup is for sure caused by dead or dying coat....get stripping..!!!!

Quote..
"So, just to be clear... don’t worry about his head and ears for now? His eyebrows, ears, and beard are just a wreck and I’ve been wondering if I should shape them up somehow First. But waiting is not a problem if that would be better. "

i saw that, ;) but I am assuming you are a complete newbie to stripping...so for the sake of your pup,I'm suggesting you take this one step at a time....the head and ears and throat and bum and underpads..ALL need to be clipped ,but need a very calm hand and confidence to achieve ..so.....first lets strip coat..then we can address the shaved areas...
Little steps grasshopper! I will give you every assistance..

So for today,or tomorrow,strip and card...you will get a lot out of his coat...
When you've got the pattern set..we will look at the head etc...

Refer to draxpark site for the pattern..

http://www.draxpark.cc/grooming.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally ,can yo tell me what tools you now have and what prior experience you have re stripping coat?

G
Last edited by Robin black mini on 03 Jan 2018, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
gsharp9
Puppy

Post by gsharp9 »

[quote="Robin black mini"]
you say your last dog was sixteen..did you ever try stripping him[/i]

No, i have never tried stripping at all. it was only recently that i even came across the term as i was trying to figure out
how people got that look from a coat.

So for today,or tomorrow,strip and card...you will get a lot out of his coat...
When you've got the pattern set..we will look at the head etc...

Ok! :D

Finally ,can yo tell me what tools you now have and what prior experience you have re stripping coat?

I have a undercoat rake that is similar to a coat king, (but more blades) i have not used it on him as of yet.
I have a grooming stone (pumice). i have run that over his back a few times, just to see how he would respond. He didn't
seem to mind at all. However, I have not taken much off.
I have decent scissors, but no thinning shears.
I have a Wahl Pet Trimmer that I have had for YEARS! I'm sure it needs new blades. It actually only came with one and I
have always wondered if I should have different #'d heads for it. You have thoughts on that? There is no # on the
current head.

I have NO real experience stripping, but I am a quick and avid learner.

G
gsharp9
Puppy

Post by gsharp9 »

Just for fun, i thought i'd put up a pic of Rachmaninoff "pre any work"

with that one ear always at attention, we almost named him "Dorsal Fin"

This dog has some serious personality.

G
Robin black mini

Re your tools..

" I have a undercoat rake that is similar to a coat king, (but more blades) i have not used it on him as of yet"

....I dont like these..the blades cut the coat..once you are used to stripping you won't even think of using this...

" I have a grooming stone (pumice). i have run that over his back a few times, just to see how he would respond. He didn't
seem to mind at all. However, I have not taken much off."

I like the stone ..I use it after a strip to catch flyaway hairs that I've missed...I also run it over the legs to get the brown hair out..

" I have decent scissors, but no thinning shears."

Good..I have scissors ( roseline) for the trimming of legs and skirt ..
I bought thinning scissors but have never used mine..if you get fine kstripping knife as well as a coarse,you can pull hair to grade in the levels..I don't need the thinners.

I have a Wahl Pet Trimmer that I have had for YEARS! I'm sure it needs new blades. It actually only came with one and I
have always wondered if I should have different #'d heads for it. You have thoughts on that? There is no # on the
current head.

I also have heavier clippers for my poodle...but have bought the arco moser cordless for the little schnauzer..I use it on her underpads,the butt,the throat ,the head and ears..so easy to adjust the blades to height you need without changing blades or heads..well worth it to buy if you can..
" I have NO real experience stripping, but I am a quick and avid learner."

It's not hard to learn,and even better if you can ask someone to show you how to use the knife so you don't scrape the dogs skin or pull live hair..I strip my girl every week,ten to twenty mins..and the next day she gets a bath and her shaved areas done..and scissoring of the skirt etc..that takes about an hour to bath,dry and scissor/ clip..
Note..
If you strip a "dirty" dog the hair follicles are closed...if you bath ,then strip right after,the follicles are open and you risk more chance of dermatitis etc..so best to bath the day after stripping.
It helped me to have a picture of the pattern of the strip on my wall next to the grooming table..the rise park link has some good photos to use as a guide..
You will be a pro in no time..it's fun to do,so good for the dogs skin ,and your dog can look good all the time if you do the weekly strip( called rolling the coat).

Finally. This link from an earlier poster'covering much of the tool talk ...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSITSIRIDES
Puppy
First Name: Joyce

Post by TSITSIRIDES »

Just been reading all these remarks with interest. My white mini is 20 weeks old today and her coat is soft and very fluffy the only part that is slightly worry is her tail. I’m taking her today just to have her ears de haired and nails checked, my son has her sister and her coat is much coarser. My question is what is my best way forward re grooming her and when should I do it? Will her coat change or will it remain soft?