Shaving between the pads

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Denise
Puppy
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Hercules
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 27 Sep 1915

Shaving between the pads

Post by Denise »

Hi all can i ask if anyone shaves there schnauzers feet between the pads.when i do it my boy will lick like mad. So now i triming with scissors.or should i stop altogether
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Shaving between the pads

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Denise, I often clip my schnauzers pads. If he is trying to lick as you do it I think you may be giving him a good scratch and he may have an allergy or something. Do a quick test. If you rub your fingers through his pads as if mimicking the clipper does he do the same thing? If he does then he has itchy feet or you are tickling them. If he is licking after the clipping then he may be irritated by it or your blade is too short maybe so either lengthen the blade or continue to trim with scissors. Trimming with scissors is important if you can't clip to keep the hair level with the pad so carry on with the scissors if that is working for you.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I use round ended scissors to trim the hairs out from between the pads. I think I got them in Boots and they're intended for children's nails. I have thought about using a human ear hair/nasal hair trimmer =))

Wahl do one on Amazon for £3.64 (I'm not on commission and other sellers are available)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

What settling is your razor on? I use a 1mm but skim the underpad,don't go too deep between the toes and we are fine..don't try to get the underpad likea poodle foot.
If you are using a 1mm ,try to skim ,not shave to skin,or go to a 2mm setting for a while..
I do the feet weekly ,and they are done in minutes..not over worked as they might be if I left more time for regrowth.
I use a bit of antibiotic powder( cicatrene) on my poodle boys underpads,as they can be pinked up after shaving..no problems after.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I just use blunt ended scissors
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Denise
Puppy
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Hercules
Born: 27 Sep 1915

Post by Denise »

Thank you guys some great addvice. I think i will continue to use scissors.. after reading all your advice i think i might be shaving to close to his skin. I use andas clippers with a size 15 blade. That most be aggravating his feet. Thanks again you lovely lot ☘☘☘
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

i use a special andis blade for feet and also round ended scissors I bought mine from groomers they do some nice ones