Dog Licking Too Much / Staining

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
elaine96
First Name: Stacy

Dog Licking Too Much / Staining

Post by elaine96 »

Hi! I have a white 3-year miniature schnauzer that really likes to lick. His whole mustache has turned pink. But what's worse, is that his paws and entire front legs and chest have been turned pink as well. Sometimes I will catch him at it and tell him to stop. But other times, I find him so wet in these areas that the hair curls and looks crunchy. He hasn't been so excessive as to cause actual skin problems or hair loss. But the discoloration is upsetting, as well as the fact that he is spreading saliva allergens all over himself. (I can tell a difference because when I adopted him a few months ago and he was pure white, he didn't cause me any problems allergy-wise. Now, however, I am getting rashes on my arms after holding him.)

I'd really like to fix this lick problem for his own good and for mine. But I'm not sure what to do. I've tried oral fur-staining treatments to fix the coloration. I've also tried spraying areas he likes to lick with a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice (as a diy anti-lick spray). But the crazy dog liked the taste and licked himself more! I've even tried putting socks on his feet, and I suppose over the long-term that would work, but it is kind of a pain to put them on and take them off after every time he goes outside to potty. So I'm really at a loss. Any ideas?

I was thinking getting another dog might reduce boredom, so maybe that would work, what do you think? Also, does anyone know how much licking is normal? Thanks ahead of time!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Dog Licking Too Much / Staining

Post by Dawnspell »

You've got too separate things really. Whys is he licking and the cause of the staining.

Whats causing the licking?
It sounds as though its something that's changed in his diet. Too much beef in Barneys diet and he starts nibbling his legs. What food is he having ?

Or its an allergen in his new environment. If its now affecting you then its probably an external allergy.

Have you tried giving him antihistamine for a few days just to see if it stops the licking?
With the vinegar and lemon juice being acidic that could have irritated the skin more causing him to lick rather than him liking the taste.

The staining
The fur treatments don't really work unless you are prepared to be almost obsessive with washing. What causes the staining is the iron from when blood is broken down in the body and it is contained in the saliva which then colours the fur when they lick. Some dogs just seem more prone the having higher iron content in the saliva than others. Some people cut out red meat as that has higher iron content.

What makes you think it could be boredom causing the problem ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Stacy, as Alison says, rather than treat the staining find out what is causing the licking which will be caused by itchy skin.

Diet? Even if you think the diet he was on was worse for him nutritionally I would put him back on it and then gradually try something else and watch what happens
Insect bites? Flea dermatitis or mite bites can cause extreme irritation on legs and chest/belly so check him out with a flea comb and check out all the fur to see if you can see anything. Are there any small scabs?
Environmental Allergen? Domestic cleaning stuff, dust, something outside?
Stress/anxiety? Boredom/habit can cause a dog to chew/lick, if he getting a good amount of exercise and has toys, suitable chews then he shouldn't be bored and I wouldn't have thought he was bored unless he is being left alone for long periods of time .

If he didn't have the problem when you first got him then something has changed so I would take a minute to think of everything that has changed and put together a plan to find out what has caused it.

I wouldn't consider getting a new dog to cure itching/scratching in a dog or to relieve boredom. Could cause a whole set of new problems. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Hamish constantly licked his feet and had pink feet and beard. The vet said he had a loose tooth and when it was investigated he had chronic gum disease.. He had 9 teeth out but not because they were rotten but the gums had receded and would not hold them. He has a white beard and feet now and the licking has almost stopped. Bit of habit nibbling at his feet now I think.