Grooming new pup

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy
First Name: Abigail

Grooming new pup

Post by Figgleypiggley+72 »

Hello all. Hope you are all OK? I will be a new mini mum very soon and I would like to ask questions about grooming in particular hand stripping. I gather that it’s best to start early. As this is the case I could you tell me what’s best to use. I have been looking at Mars rakes, knives, stripping stones etc and I am confused by it all! I thought a rake might be a good idea? What is the general opinion on this? Also what size of knife(s) or rake. Also other essentials for grooming? Finally ears and paws. Pluck or not to pluck ears. Thornit? Best way to trim paws?
Sorry for so many questions! Sincere thanks in advance for all your help. Oh I should add that I am not going to show my pup.
Ab x
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Grooming new pup

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Welcome Abigail. How exciting for you, just seen the photo of your very cute pupster.

There have been some super posts on tools/equipment for stripping and clipping. This is what I use but others have their own preferred tools.

Mars fine stripping knife
DK coarse stripping knife
Finger cots
Coat King
Moser arco cordless clipper
Andis pro cordless clipper, 5, 7 blades
various Mars scissors including curved for paws
Small blunt ended scissors for inside ears
Thornit powder for ears
Metal comb (2 sizes on same comb)
Slicker (although I don't use mine)
Pin brush
Flea comb
Nail file
Puppy shampoo and then adult shampoo

I think that's it

Paws, I trim with curved scissors around the paw and under the pad, used to clip but I find that it can irritate the paws. I don't pluck the hair from the ear, I tease it out from the ear and cut as short as I can an use a little thornit to keep clean and fresh. I think plucking can irritate the ear just my opinion.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

Hi I home groom and love Mikki stripping knives, I have collected various others but always go back to the mikki ones.

Roseline scissors are fab and not to expensive
Definitely need some round nose scissors, curved and straight oh and thinners.

I use bravura clippers for the clipped areas and bravura mini trimmers for feet but other people will have other favourites. These are cordless and Lightweight.

Personally I very rarely pluck ears and have found it can cause more irritation. I clip and the ears and pull a few hairs out but not many and yes I sporadically use thornit.

Basically when you get the puppy you just start carding, getting the fluffy undercoat out. Keep carding and card some more !
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy

Hello!

Thanks for your response, advice and the list. I really appreciate it!

It is exciting. Can’t wait to pick up my pupster! :)
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Abigail,

When you say a rake I assume you mean something like a Mars Coatking?

I have 2 mini schnauzers, Rosie and Edie. Rosie's coat is very soft rather than wiry and I use a Coatking on her. I have the 12 and 20 blade versions. I also use a Mars stripping knife on her. The coatking is brilliant for raking out the fluffy undercoat and blown outer coat but the purists will say that it can cut the hair rather than pull it. Given that Rosie's coat is soft, it's something I live with.

Edie has a really good wire coat and I only use stripping a stripping knife with her; Mars 328 and Mars 326. I've never used the coatking on her.

Edie's ears are naturally very sparse of hair and so only a tidy up with the clippers are required on the inside (outside is stripped). Rosie on the other hand has a forest in her ears and if left will get knots so after clipping them I do pluck the long hairs that grow out of her inner ear. I use hemostats for this, she lies on my lap and I pull a few hairs at a time). With both girls, they get a small pinch of Thornit rubbed into their ear every month.

The pale one is Rosie and the darker one is Edie. You can see that the coatking leaves the hair longer but still has the stripped look.

Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy

lj_thorne wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 10:23 Hi I home groom and love Mikki stripping knives, I have collected various others but always go back to the mikki ones.

Roseline scissors are fab and not to expensive
Definitely need some round nose scissors, curved and straight oh and thinners.

I use bravura clippers for the clipped areas and bravura mini trimmers for feet but other people will have other favourites. These are cordless and Lightweight.

Personally I very rarely pluck ears and have found it can cause more irritation. I clip and the ears and pull a few hairs out but not many and yes I sporadically use thornit.

Basically when you get the puppy you just start carding, getting the fluffy undercoat out. Keep carding and card some more!

Hi thanks for the advice! Will keep carding...when I get him :) will post pictures of my pup soon!
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy

Schnauzer Sam wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 12:08 Hi Abigail,

When you say a rake I assume you mean something like a Mars Coatking?

I have 2 mini schnauzers, Rosie and Edie. Rosie's coat is very soft rather than wiry and I use a Coatking on her. I have the 12 and 20 blade versions. I also use a Mars stripping knife on her. The coatking is brilliant for raking out the fluffy undercoat and blown outer coat but the purists will say that it can cut the hair rather than pull it. Given that Rosie's coat is soft, it's something I live with.

Edie has a really good wire coat and I only use stripping a stripping knife with her; Mars 328 and Mars 326. I've never used the coatking on her.

Edie's ears are naturally very sparse of hair and so only a tidy up with the clippers are required on the inside (outside is stripped). Rosie on the other hand has a forest in her ears and if left will get knots so after clipping them I do pluck the long hairs that grow out of her inner ear. I use hemostats for this, she lies on my lap and I pull a few hairs at a time). With both girls, they get a small pinch of Thornit rubbed into their ear every month.

The pale one is Rosie and the darker one is Edie. You can see that the coatking leaves the hair longer but still has the stripped look.

Hello! Thanks for your post.

Yes was thinking of the coat king but not sure now because of what you said about the coats of your beautiful girls. I think that the coat of my pup might be quite coarse because his parents coats are. So perhaps I should use a knife. I am just finding it a bit scary tbh!

It’s interesting the difference in their ears too. I will have to wait and see what his ears are like.

Thanks again,
Ab ;;)
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy

Oscar 12345 wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 18:20 Welcome Abigail. How exciting for you, just seen the photo of your very cute pupster.

There have been some super posts on tools/equipment for stripping and clipping. This is what I use but others have their own preferred tools.

Mars fine stripping knife
DK coarse stripping knife
Finger cots
Coat King
Moser arco cordless clipper
Andis pro cordless clipper, 5, 7 blades
various Mars scissors including curved for paws
Small blunt ended scissors for inside ears
Thornit powder for ears
Metal comb (2 sizes on same comb)
Slicker (although I don't use mine)
Pin brush
Flea comb
Nail file
Puppy shampoo and then adult shampoo

I think that's it

Paws, I trim with curved scissors around the paw and under the pad, used to clip but I find that it can irritate the paws. I don't pluck the hair from the ear, I tease it out from the ear and cut as short as I can an use a little thornit to keep clean and fresh. I think plucking can irritate the ear just my opinion.
Hi! Thanks for your detailed response. I really appreciate it and for letting me know about plucking the ear hair.

I am excited to get my pup. He is a cute pupster. Scared too! :)