Ears!

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Ears!

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi all

We are grooming Monty at home and he is becoming more and more willing to have a haircut as he knows he gets some of his favourite treats. We groom him at the end of our dining table on a non-slip mat. It's a two person job at the mo, and we use the schnauzer charts very loosely to try and help with the clipping. We have given him a 5FC cut all over - not scissored his legs in this pic, but he's looking pretty dapper we think.

However, he won't let me anywhere near his ears. He never has (as seen in the pic!) When he's on my lap he likes them massaged as he falls to sleep, but on the grooming table it's a no. I'm not too fussed about getting them super neat, I'd just like to get rid of the tufts and get the edges tidy, if that makes sense. My partner says he looks great a little scruffy! But I would like to work on him being ok with his ears being groomed. Any hints or tips would be hugely appreciated.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Ears!

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Emma, Monty looks gorgeous. There is no quick fix. The trick with an area that he doesn't like being touched is to set yourself very low targets. Day 1 for example, just touch each one very quickly whilst on his grooming area and treat treat. Do this every day taking a bit longer every time, if he doesn't like it then go backwards to the point where he did tolerate it. It might take several weeks but you will get there eventually if you take it really really slowly. I had to do the same with Otto's nails, took me months to get him to tolerate me fiddling with his feet and filing his nails but we got there and he isn't bothered now. I would think ears would be quicker to de-sensitise unless you catch him with the scissors and then I think it will take longer.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Monty looks great, Emma, and his ears don't loom out of keeping with the rest of him. Obviously you'll need to be able to trim them and my advice would be the same as Julie's. There is also the possibility that if he's happy with you playing with his ears while on your lap, he may allow you to clip and scissor them there. Maybe you're concerned that he may want to avoid the cuddles?? :)

I do all my clipping and scissoring on the grooming table but do all my stripping on a mat on the floor so I can get them lying or sitting as I need them. I have to time it well though as they are prone to getting up to investigate anyone coming in to the kitchen =))
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Thanks both.

I think it's the scissor sound he doesn't like; the snip as the blades go together if that makes sense. I might need to look into some that are a little quieter.

I have a bit of a traumatic experience with his nails. They are now jet black and I struggle to see the quick. Monty doesn't mind me clipping them at all, thankfully, but I take the tiniest length off the end for fear of catching the quick!