Any good recommendations for freshening up the beard?!

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Any good recommendations for freshening up the beard?!

Post by Lou78 »

Hello! I really need help with what I can put on Ollie's beard. It stinks (kind of cow muck/vomit/cheesy smell!). :ymsick: I have tried the Animology fox poo shampoo which worked slightly but not completely. Despite me doing 2 shampoos and brushing it in! Even when he came back from the groomer last time, there was still a faint whiff! Just to make matters worse, he wont have anything directly sprayed on so I end up spraying into my hands and rubbing on. I am getting pretty desperate now! Its been weeks and I am constantly washing his bedding and spraying furnishings with dettol spray! Any advice on anything I can try, gratefully received.

I also fear that even when/if I get rid of smell on him, he will go straight back out and shove his face in whatever it is again! It is on his beard and top bit of his nose so I would say definitely something he is snuffling when he is out! I am almost at the the stage where I say "cut the beard off" but husband would never forgive me!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Any good recommendations for freshening up the beard?!

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Louise, I think I would try a combination of bicarb of soda and lemon juice as a paste and rub it in and leave for a few mins and rinse off. I bet apple cider vinegar works instead of the lemon juice also. Both smell a bit strong so he probably won't be happy but put on as a paste might be better than shampooing. Do you think he might have a rotten tooth causing the bad smell in his saliva??? Anyway good luck, nothing worse than a yucky schnauzer beard :(
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks for tip. His teeth look ok. I had a look as I did think that. The vet always comments how good his teeth are. So I think it is more outside his mouth. It is kind of his beard and the top of his nose going up to his eyebrows. Exactly where he "truffles" through the ground! 🤮
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

The Animology shampoo is usually effective but does need leaving in for a good 10 minutes or more for best results...but maybe you have already tried that?
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Sorry only just catching up. Thanks Leigh. I hadn't left it un for long enough I dont think. The problem has been solved now by a trip to the groomers and a good bath and beard trim ready for xmas! Thanks again. X