4 month puppy fur - total newb

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
FosterCitySchnauzer
First Name: Esjay

4 month puppy fur - total newb

Post by FosterCitySchnauzer »

Hello,

We just got 4 month old Merlin for Christmas and I was planning on hand stripping. I read stuff that made me think at this age she would have tons of fur just popping out easily but when I pull it but it really is terribly difficult and I wonder. - is it possible for Schnauzers to only have one coat? I can’t tell any difference between a top and undercoat. Or maybe it just hasn’t grown in yet? It’s getting really long but I’m terrified of clipping it and ruining her wore coat. Not sure what to do from this point, I really prefer more natural looking/longer cuts but she’s getting pretty straggly?
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: 4 month puppy fur - total newb

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Esjay, at that age I think you would only be seeing the fluffy puppy coat. Can't really see in the photo but your Merlin's coat looks beautifully sleek rather than fluffy. It probably hasn't blown yet which means it is ready to come out, maybe it won't blow??? Keep combing a stripping/carding knife through the coat. I think over the next few weeks you will start to see more and more hair come out. Keep trying occasionally to gently pull, it will come eventually but he is still very young. I am no expert on schnauzer coats but it is possible that some coats are too soft for stripping. If you are in the UK it might be worth asking someone who shows/grooms stripped schnauzers to take a look at the coat and give you some advice. He looks lovely btw.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
FosterCitySchnauzer
First Name: Esjay

Post by FosterCitySchnauzer »

Thanks so much! I’m in Northern California. Glad to know it might just be the age. People have mentioned the coat seems softer than a typical wire coat and maybe she’s not all schnauzer but she has her papers with her parents and everything. I have a friend who would know someone I can ask for a referral to a groomer, so new at this! Thank you for taking the time to respond, it puts me a bit at ease I’m not doing something wrong.
LolliesMom
First Name: Edith

Post by LolliesMom »

My 4 month old June is a fluff ball. I come her regularly not much comes out.