In lockdown so need to clip my dogs...

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Seasideschnauzers
Puppy
First Name: Jules
Dog #1: Florence
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 0- 0-2017
Dog #2: Lola
Born: 0- 0-2019

In lockdown so need to clip my dogs...

Post by Seasideschnauzers »

Best clippers for a newbie?
Our two hairy schnauzers were due to be groomed last Tuesday by their usual fabulous groomer which meant they did not get groomed due to lockdown, so I now have two girls that definitely need grooming. I have a metal comb, scissors, slicker brush etc but am thinking I need clippers next. Can anyone advise me?
I’d rather buy good so buy once and am looking at either Andis or Wahl and thinking about cordless. So spending a fair bit. From previous posts I’m thinking I also need a 10 and 7 blade?
I’m also thinking that I currently spend £80 every 7 weeks to get them both done, so if in the future I can delay taking them to the groomers for a few extra weeks each time then any expenditure will soon get paid back, so I’m definitely happy to spend more to get a good set that will last.

I have a Very laid back 2.5 year old and a very excitable 7 month old who still has some puppy hair...

I know a lot of you strip rather than clip, but I’m not sure I’m able to get my head around that at the moment!

Big thanks.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: In lockdown so need to clip my dogs...

Post by Dawnspell »

I strip but there are still bits that need clipping. Ive got 2 clippers and went for cordless with both, mainly because if I can I trim outside as its much easier. I think people mainly go with cord option if they are going to be clipping for a long time.

Moser arco cordless these come with an extra battery that you can have on charge while you use one. They are quiet compared to the cheap cord clippers I had before.

Wahl super groom premium cordless. Has integral battery so no back up battery option. These are also quiet.

I like both theres really nothing between them other than how long you will use them at any one time. In which case you might want the extra battery back up.

I also have Wahl bravmini which are almost as much as the others in price. They are really quiet but the only thing I use them for is clipping inside the ear leather and round the ear canal. I used to use the normal clippers but the mini came up as a special deal 50% off so I got them. Nice at the special deal price but pleased I didnt pay full price, theyre a bit of equipment thats lovely but not essential.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Ditto Alisons's advice. I also have the Moser arco cordless and a wahl super groom cordless - I would definitely recommend both with the one blade which is adjustable. They are light, quiet and versatile and will last. I also have a very expensive Oster Pro cordless but it isn't as good as the much cheaper Moser arco. Because the Moser arco has 2 batteries you are not in danger of batteries running down in the middle of a groom so that would be my first choice for a beginner but this is also a great clipper for experienced groomers also. I definitely needed the two batteries for a full clip. If the super groom battery goes then you can plug in but then you have the wire to manage. You also need thinning scissors (one sided) to blend clipped areas with scissored areas.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Seasideschnauzers
Puppy
First Name: Jules
Dog #1: Florence
Born: 0- 0-2017
Dog #2: Lola
Born: 0- 0-2019

Post by Seasideschnauzers »

Thank you both so much for your great advice. Having the two batteries definitely sounds like a good idea. I hadn’t thought of thinning scissors so will definitely get a pair. Big thanks. Hopefully when we reappear in twelve weeks we will all look good!