Small Clippers

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Hook_settr
First Name: Darren

Small Clippers

Post by Hook_settr »

Hello-

We are relatively new to the Miniature Schnauzer breed as we have only had our current pup for about 18 months but Oswald has been a great addition to the family. I have been grooming him by myself for the last year and I am continuing to learn and get better at it. We have recently put down a deposit on a second mini so I am starting to amp up my grooming tools since I will be having two to groom shortly.

The main thing I would like help with is finding a small set of clippers for using around the head (face, between the ears, etc.) because our current mini is only twelve pounds and the Andis 2-Speed that I currently have is a bit clunky around his head. I have no preference between corded or cordless but would like it to cut at a #10 length so that it would match the rest of his body. Any suggestions?

The second thing I would like help on is a grooming table. I really don't know much about them so I am open to any and all advice. I'm about 6'1 so I would like something a little taller because I am currently grooming Oswald on a work bench and it's a pain to bend over the entire time.

Any and all helpful advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Small Clippers

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and Welcome
I hand strip so only use clippers on bum, cheeks, ears and neck. I bought Wahl Bravmini cordless thinking I would use them all the time on the head. The only thing I really use them for is clipping the inside of the ear leather to get in the folds a bit easier, and they are really quiet. I dont really like them for doing cheeks etc it takes forever as they dont seem as powerful as my larger clippers. Theyre not cheap so its not as though I bought cheap and got cheap that dont do the job.

Grooming table I think most are adjustable just a matter of checking what height they go to and non slip surface.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"