Grooming a standard schnauzer puppy face

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
RoseHunter
Puppy
First Name: Sh

Grooming a standard schnauzer puppy face

Post by RoseHunter »

Hello all,

I've been reguarly carding my standard pups coat, she is now four months old and you can see she's going to be a very silver grey schnauzer. Anyway I'm a little stuck on what to do for the eye area of the schnauzer, legs, ears, tail I've done no problem (minus teh puppy wriggling since she does not like sitting still for more than five seconds.)
I have been hand stripping bits of blown fur as they become blown to try and get a slightly long rolling coat going, actually got complimented on her coat by a miniature schnauzer owner recently, who asked where i got her coat done. (So doing something right even if I'm a little rusty and she now has a mini schnauzer buddy to play with).

Basically any help for how I do the eyes area and the bit between them, I'm really not sure what to do. Any guidance would be great.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Grooming a standard schnauzer puppy face

Post by Dawnspell »

Photos would help for specific areas (just an excuse for puppy photos ). Underneath the eyes you don't do anything as that is beard. Some people trim just under the eyebrows and remove eyelashes. I personally don't, the eyelashes just get cut when shaping eyebrows.

Then you have the diamond which is the bit between the eyes which is probably the bit you mean. At 4 months she's probably still got bits sticking up in front of her eyes, this will eventually be the beard once it's long enough to weigh itself down. It's easier to see where you need to trim once the hair weighs down. You can trim the bits directly inbetween her eyes at the moment. I use thinning scissors for this and with a wiggly Jasper as a pup I found it easier to have him laid partly across my knee both facing forward. Gently holding his muzzle with left hand then trimming from above between his eyes. This way he didn't see scissors coming towards him and less chance of poking in the eye of he did wriggle. The thinning scissors are also blunt ended for extra safety.

This website has lots of grooming tips. It is for minis but will help with the head. You'll have to scroll down quite a bit for the eyes bit. She strips it on this one but it's a good photo for showing the area to groom. I did strip my first dog between the eyes for a while but found scissoring easier in the long run
http://britmorschnauzers.com/handstrip.html
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Grooming a standard schnauzer puppy face

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I also recommend the grooming video by Linda Forsythe it's for a mini but same principles, also a free video showing grooming of Angela Caley's mini which is really good too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dN93mPero8
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.