Eyebrows, those wonderful eyebrows

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
DaisyDoo
Puppy
First Name: Jen

Eyebrows, those wonderful eyebrows

Post by DaisyDoo »

First, happy new year to all and thanks again to all for the knowledge shared so freely on this forum.
Via stalking and now posting I am learning to hand strip my 5 month old black mini puppy. Carding is going well and hand stripping by hand slowly improving. Thanks to advice from Julie (Oscar12345) my ‘proper’ left handed stripping knife is in the post.

My questions are about eyebrows.
As part of the gradual learning process I have booked a puppy groom for Daisy. For paws/nails, ears and those pesky eyebrows. (Those areas I am still nervous about trying for myself.)
So far Daisy’s eyebrows are un-trimmed. After weeks of obscuring her vision & me brushing them out of the way, they have started to fall better to the sides/outer eyes.
Do I have them cut into the traditional triangle schnauzer cut now? (With the long point down to the nose) Or wait a while longer? I quite like the cascade to the side look but have also read it is best to wait a while before cutting them. (9/10 months)
Also if I am to have them cut into the traditional triangle shape, should I be brushing them in the opposite direction/ towards the nose?
Thanks in advance
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Eyebrows, those wonderful eyebrows

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Learning to cut eyebrows is quite tricky, my tip is cut a very small amount of the ends, comb, check and stop or cut a bit more, repeat, be patient. You want to comb the eye brows in the natural direction that they grow. With my first schnauzer I combed down and then cut a triangle, with Otto I comb slight to the side and cut. What you want is when the dog is settled for them to be in the right position, combing sometimes takes them out of their "resting" position. I would cut a triangle as soon as there is enough hair but I don't like hair falling in front of Otto's eyes. It's up to you. Also, a good tip is to come from behind the head to cut the angle. I used to do that with Oscar but not with Otto. You cut less hair that way in my experience. There are some really good videos on the internet for eyebrow cutting.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re:medxszz Eyebrows, those wonderful eyebrows

Post by Dawnspell »

You're going to have the same problem as me with having a solid coloured dog, that is working out which bits to leave as the eyebrows. It's easier with b&s p&s as they have lighter eyebrows so you know what not to cut.

I agree with Julie just do a bit at a time and keep stopping even waiting a day before trimming a bit more. Start by trimming the "stop" inbetween the eyes and the bits either sides of the eyes. It will give you an idea of how the hair is going to fall. I also like to use 8" curved blade scissors cutting from behind the longer blade means there's no chance of stabbing anywhere. I find with the curve inward rather than a straight cut there's less hair over the eye but it still looks like a decent eyebrow. I like the curve scissors for trimming legs furnishings it's a lot easier to get rounded finish, unless you are really skilled with straight scissors.

Never heard of anyone not cutting eyebrows until 9-10 months old :-\ The dog wouldn't be able to see at all by then
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

I have two b/s and Rupert. The best thing about a solid black schnauzer is whatever you do you can’t see them 😂😂😂😂

I am fairly sure I trimmed his eyebrows properly in this one ! But I found they tended to curl and go wild until I carded forward over the brows in order to get a harsher top layer to kind of weigh them down.
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
DaisyDoo
Puppy
First Name: Jen

Post by DaisyDoo »

Thanks both.
I will a pic after the “trimming”.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That is a fabulous pic Lisa, he is gorgeous.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.