Best Dog Clippers

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Kris73alice2
First Name: Kris

Best Dog Clippers

Post by Kris73alice2 »

I'm new to this forum. We have a miniature schnauzer, and with the pandemic, we have decided to groom her ourselves, we have bought Masterclip clippers, with 10blade attached. There is also included 13mm, 10mm, 6mm,3mm combs. I'm a bit confused as to which comb (if that's the right word) we should use. I am thinking 13mm for body and legs, and 10 for tummy and shorter bits? I'd be grateful for any help before I scalp the poor dog!!
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Best Dog Clippers

Post by Dinkum »

Hello Kris

Generally, you would do the head with the 10 (1.6mm) blade and the back and sides with a 7F (3.2mm) blade. In your case the 3mm comb. The legs are generally done with scissors although, I use the 7F on the legs and tummies, particularly in winter when it is very muddy. You could use any of the other, longer combs on the undercarriage and legs to create that skirt look. My two don't particularly enjoy having their legs clippered. There is not a lot of flesh on the lower legs and I always amuse myself by thinking that it tickles them, that's why they don't like it. I have a cordless Andis clipper with interchangeable blades.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.