When to start hand stripping?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy
First Name: Vivian
Dog #1: Limuh
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Nov 2020

Re: When to start hand stripping?

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Dawnspell wrote: ↑28 Apr 2021, 09:52 Most people clip ears as well as above and the inside of the thighs.

If you are going to hand strip its easier to pull the wire hair out before bathing. Once clean the hair is smooth so you dont get as good a grip and it can slip. Also a stripped jacket doesnt need washing as often as a clipped jacket the dirt drops off. Jasper got black soot spots all over his back when we had the flue swept last week, he was being nosey as usual =)) I didnt wash him it was all gone by the next day.
:-j I noted!! The reason why I am sending Limuh for grooming is that his hair got all tangled badly. I do brush him every day but I guess it doesn't help much for some spots like his paws, thigh area. And his front bang(?) is way too long and I worried that it might block his sight. I used my girl's hair clip to hold it up for now in the house. :D
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Oh yes hes at that age where the beard grows up in front of the eyes before theres enough weight to make it fall down. Dont let the groomers shave down his nose, some do. There should just be a diamond shape trimmed short between the eyes going down a little bit to the brow of the nose.

When going to training classes I used to put hair gel on Barneys beard to keep it down =)) To be honest I dont really think it affects their vision they use there noses and ears far more than we do to assess their surroundings unlike us that are mainly visual. Think about breeds such as bearded collies, old english sheepdogs they have permanent hair in front of their eyes
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Lol I still use hair gel on the hairs I accidentally cut in front of his eyes. It's like as his snout grew longer, there was a lot more hair to grow out in that area. Next pup, I'll be more savvy to it.

Just take 2 minutes a day to familiarize yourself and Limuh to the process. I kept sessions super short at first. Now he doesn't mind me pulling hairs here and there at all really. But carding for sure made the biggest difference. His coat was mixed with brownish soft fluff that made his hair stand up. After using the Andis tool, the result was a jet black shiny jacket that lay flat (he still has a little wave to his coat). My husband noticed right away how he looked "all shined up" he looked. Made him more comfortable in the heat as well.

At first the undercoat hairs were quite long, I had to use short strokes to dematt and brush though. Now the undercoat hairs are short and not nearly as much comes out with the brush. His hair is clearer and I can see his skin easier when I part the hair. Before it was so plugged with undercoat.

I don't know if you use the Andis tool on the furnishings, but I lightly went over it to detangle and thin the hair out a bit. Going forward, it doesn't seem to matt as much once it's thinned a bit.

With my previous schnauzers, they were clippered and I didn't know about these wonderful tools. Their furnishings (especially toes and armpits) would get serious matts despite trying to brush it. I just couldn't get it fluffy like the groomer. Now I can!

Btw, I trim the pits real short now. With friction it just gets all matted up. You can't see under there so no problem just to shave (or scissor) the pits.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Dawnspell wrote: ↑28 Apr 2021, 14:27 Oh yes hes at that age where the beard grows up in front of the eyes before theres enough weight to make it fall down. Dont let the groomers shave down his nose, some do. There should just be a diamond shape trimmed short between the eyes going down a little bit to the brow of the nose.

When going to training classes I used to put hair gel on Barneys beard to keep it down =)) To be honest I dont really think it affects their vision they use there noses and ears far more than we do to assess their surroundings unlike us that are mainly visual. Think about breeds such as bearded collies, old english sheepdogs they have permanent hair in front of their eyes
You are right about that! They wouldn't mind having some hair in front of them, but you know it was more for me honestly =)) I wanted to see his cute eyes!!
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Schnauzerluv wrote: ↑28 Apr 2021, 18:52 Lol I still use hair gel on the hairs I accidentally cut in front of his eyes. It's like as his snout grew longer, there was a lot more hair to grow out in that area. Next pup, I'll be more savvy to it.

Just take 2 minutes a day to familiarize yourself and Limuh to the process. I kept sessions super short at first. Now he doesn't mind me pulling hairs here and there at all really. But carding for sure made the biggest difference. His coat was mixed with brownish soft fluff that made his hair stand up. After using the Andis tool, the result was a jet black shiny jacket that lay flat (he still has a little wave to his coat). My husband noticed right away how he looked "all shined up" he looked. Made him more comfortable in the heat as well.

At first the undercoat hairs were quite long, I had to use short strokes to dematt and brush though. Now the undercoat hairs are short and not nearly as much comes out with the brush. His hair is clearer and I can see his skin easier when I part the hair. Before it was so plugged with undercoat.

I don't know if you use the Andis tool on the furnishings, but I lightly went over it to detangle and thin the hair out a bit. Going forward, it doesn't seem to matt as much once it's thinned a bit.

With my previous schnauzers, they were clippered and I didn't know about these wonderful tools. Their furnishings (especially toes and armpits) would get serious matts despite trying to brush it. I just couldn't get it fluffy like the groomer. Now I can!

Btw, I trim the pits real short now. With friction it just gets all matted up. You can't see under there so no problem just to shave (or scissor) the pits.
Oh, I think my groomer also cut some of his hair between eyes. I think that helps to show his rounded eyes.

I would like to get all the tools from GroomerDK. They have carding, stripping knives and also the tool that similar to Andis. It will be easier to use the exact tools as I can watch their video clips using them. I actually asked some questions through their fb messenger, the person was very friendly to answer my questions.

I agree with you on the pits. Limuh also has that problem. ~x(
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

UrbanGypsyViv wrote: ↑30 Apr 2021, 09:22 You are right about that! They wouldn't mind having some hair in front of them, but you know it was more for me honestly =)) I wanted to see his cute eyes!!
Don't worry, I cut too much (as you can see in my topic "starting to hand strip a puppy" posted earlier). I finally let it grow out and it makes a nice black mask to highlight his eyes. It just needs some weight (length) to keep it down. Actually as I said, I'm still growing out a bit. I just use the hair gel and tough it out because the final mask is so worth it. I don't think I have a pic, but Julie might have posted a pic of Otto sporting an epic perfectly parted mask schnauz.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Okay, I've been carding my pup for days but I don't really see a big difference. I get it he isn't that fluffy than before but other than that I don't see anything different. Am I doing it right? My husband told me he sees empty spots between here and there and it doesn't look good. Do you guys think I didn't do it enough yet? Will this process ever get his fur short like other schnauzers? How to keep his hair short like other schnauzers that clipped?😒

My pup goes away every time I pick up the tools. I tried to do it when he was relaxed on the floor. I gave him even dog gums but he just doesn't enjoy it much. What do I do?
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hmmm I'm sure the more experienced members will pipe in shortly, but I'll try to help for now.

Which type of tool are you using? Do you mean you see bald spots? How many times are you going over an area and do you get much hair out with the tool?

I'm not sure if all pups have wire hairs right away, but can you tell if the tool is ripping out wire?

What does the hair look like that is being combed out? Is it fuzzy and dull? If so, it sounds right. You would want to brush out the fuzzy dull undercoat and leave the top coat wire. If I go over an area too much, wire hairs will start to come out.

At first there was so much fluff as you can see in my photo. Now I card once a week and only a little undercoat comes out.

How are you combing with the tool? Long strokes? Is the hair still binding up (in the matted undercoat) or can you comb through fairly easily? If the coat still resists the comb (combing through), try short stokes. Like comb in a kind of jerking motion. Keep grooming sessions really short and you may have to use treats at first so he knows it's something that has to be done and you are asking him to stay still.

Ozzy was figety to get groomed sometimes. He runs when he sees me with the toe toe cleaning bucket and towels. If I give him treats after, he is much more apt to let me do it.

Less fluffy sounds right though! With Ozzy I can see a difference between his wire coat and fluff, as the fluff is dull and lighter (like a grey/brown). It could be he hasn't grown his wire yet or the fluff hasn't lightened or won't lighten. Basically after carding, the jacket lies nice and flat. If it's sticking up, it's probably undercoat jamming it upwards.

To get the length you want, you would keep pulling the longest hairs. With Ozzy he was long all over, I did one layer (longest hairs) all around the jacket and then a second time. Second time hairs are shorter as I have already removed the longest hairs. If I want it shorter, I would go over a 3rd time. But it doesn't look clippered. Looks much nicer than that. And it doesn't matter really how long the jacket hair is for me, it looks nice and slick anyway since it holds flat. And looks healthier too!

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but like I said, I'm sure someone with more experience will be by soon!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Have you any photos that will help?

With regards to him not enjoying grooming make it a positive experience. Sometimes to get the tools out but don't do anything other than give him treats for even taking a step towards them. When you are grooming keep it really short and give plenty of treats while you're handling him. Jasper is 2 and I still give him treats normally a tripe stick to chew on. He's sees me get it and the tools and runs to jump up on the table or if we go outside he's straight up on my knee. I wouldn't say he enjoys grooming but because good things happen he goes along with it.

It's better to do a couple of minutes a day every other day than try to do a block of 10 mins. Use a lick mat stuck to a door so he's happy licking and engaged before you start. It worked for Jasper who was super bitey and super wriggly :))
It's better to stop before he gets fed up at this stage.You can gradually make sessions longer over time
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

This is carding
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAP7-l9DsSZ ... _copy_link

See how the hair is dull, fine and fluffy? This schnauzer has already a wire coat, but the undercoat hair looks the same. The wire hair on a B&S is not banded like the S&P in this link, but it will be wiry like that to provide the weatherproofing.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Hi, so sorry about the late reply and thank you so much for the tips and the photo! Jasper looks so ready in the photo.πŸ˜†

I actually tried stripping this time and it really made it a big difference. Limuh's hair got much shorter and neat. I think I understood the process of stripping&carding finally. I got all the tools from GroomerDK and they are very easy to use. I watch their video clips to learn how to do it. Now that I've been stripping Limuh for days, he looks so nice. I think he is okay with stripping but not really liking carding. But yea, it will take some time to get used to it. Like Alison mentioned, I started using some of his kibbles. Also, I do it secretly when he is in sleep (although he knows, he is too tired to stop me sometimes lol) Thanks for being patient and explaining the process!πŸ˜„
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I'm so glad you are getting it. It took me a while to get it, but once his hair was ready to be pulled and I could see how it was, it made a lot more sense. I'm happy it's looking good, I have had clippered schnauzers and the coat is so much nicer being stripped. Not to mention the other benefits like a healthier coat for the dog and weatherproofing. His jacket doesn't stay dirty, the dirt and seeds just blow or brush right out. He doesn't mind getting wet as much as the other clippered schnauzers did, it made going potty out in the rain a lot easier!

One of my first biggest hand stripping sessions was at 2am lol. I was determined to get it right. Ozzy feel asleep while I did it haha. There's been a few times he has fallen asleep while being stripped out or even carded. I kinda pet him as I do it and stay super gentle with him. I find it's really important to be very careful not to pull while combing. Once it hurts them, they remember and are reluctant to be combed in that area again. It happened to Ozzy when he got some big matts under his beard. I was a bit rougher (holding a bit) I guess because he was avoiding the comb for a while. It was such an awkward area to work when they are not cooperating, swinging their heads all over. I ended up having to snip some hair away and work out the rest. It took a while after that to get him to be ok with beard combing, but I was super gentle and made sure to regularly comb it through to prevent more knots from forming. They sneak up on you!

If Limuh gets any big matts tight at the skin, it would be best to snip the knots a few times perpendicular to the skin (so as to not catch the skin) prior to using a dematting tool. It happened to Ozzy all under his chest where his harness makes friction. I tried to be very careful not to pull any hairs and made little snips against the skin. If I'm careful enough, he won't flinch and he'll stay lying down resting. But if I pull hairs, he will want to move away. I don't want to be chasing him to get his beard combed. So I try my best to keep it gentle and soothing.