Groomers not taking new clients! Help!

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Lindz
Puppy
First Name: Lyndsey
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 1-2021

Groomers not taking new clients! Help!

Post by Lindz »

We have a 20 week mini black and silver boy who desperately needs grooming. He's had one introductory puppy groom, but no fur off yet.
We are living between north London and Manchester for work at the moment and both places that come highly recommended (by owners of minis who I have met and admired) are not taking new clients until September. Groom boom!
The place I wanted to go to in north London is Stathams and the place in Manchester was Barkside.
Any recommendations gratefully received. We don't want to strip him.
Thanks!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Groomers not taking new clients! Help!

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Lyndsey, you could check out the Miniature Schnauzer Club list of groomers for any within your commuting distance. I can imagine that you may find it difficult though to get a good dog groomer who operates a general grooming business with vacancies in the immediate future as my impression is that most are not taking new clients for months ahead due to delayed bookings for current clients after lockdown.

http://www.theminiatureschnauzerclub.co ... /groomers/

Could your puppy’s breeder not help in the interim?

You could try home grooming which could work out a lot less costly and more convenient in the long term. There are some excellent guides to grooming miniature schnauzers online or DVDs to purchase especially if you are not planning on stripping him. The coat will always grow back too so no worries if there are some grooming blips initially. I would recommend Linda Forsyth’s DVD if you did want to learn how to groom your mini schnauzer yourself as she demonstrates clipping (and hand stripping) very well :)

https://redcape.co.uk/product/the-styli ... -and-clip/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Lindz
Puppy
First Name: Lyndsey
Born: 0- 1-2021

Post by Lindz »

Thanks very much - I will look at the list. He is such a naughty pup - bites me and the brush when I brush him. Every single time! So I don't think he and I would get on well with clippers! A battle!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Sounds like a normal schnauzer pup =)) We've all been there but it takes time and patience. Jasper was not only all teeth but the wiggliest and couldnt keep still for 5 seconds and would dance about.

You are still going to have to tackle the combing even if you dont groom yourself as they need coat care between grooms. Keep your sessions really short a minute or so. To start just get the brush out and reward for him every time he looks at it. Then gradually build up to touching with the back of the brush etc before you try to actually do brushing. Its easier if you have one person rewarding and one person doing the combing when you initially start combing so he can be drip fed treats. As a puppy if hes got some knots just cut them out its not worth creating a bad experience by trying to brush them out. I used to have 2 combs with wooden handles he used to bite one and I combed with the other :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I find my pup likes to chew on a bully stick when I groom. He'll automatically grab one when I start. Alison uses a licky mat. It helps if they have something to do instead of just standing there. He likes to be brushed (if there's no pulling) now and I kind of pet him when I do it. He'll roll over so I can get his belly if he's in the mood haha.

But as mentioned, I started with treats and 2-5 minute sessions to get him accustomed.