Grooming the schnauzer head and legs p3

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Grice
First Name: Melanie

Re: Grooming the schnauzer head and legs p3

Post by Grice »

Thank you :) They do help. Are the bits under the eyes you've pulled forward cut shorter than the rest of the beard, or left to be the same length? So the beard should start directly under the eyes and not in front of?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I dont cut any of the beard short, it needs tge weight for it to hang down. I think youd end up with bit of a bottle brush with bits sticking out to the sides if it was trimmed.

The first time the cheeks are shaved you look for a cheek mole with a whisker coming out behind where the corner of the mouth is. You then visualise a line from the mole up to the outer corner of the eye and thats the line where you shave to. This gives you a starting point from which you can then shave further forward if the beard bushes out too much, but you shouldnt end up with a figure 8 head.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Grice
First Name: Melanie

Post by Grice »

Thanks! That's really helpful :D I just have to retain the information for 2-3 years and hope it sticks, ha ha. I think that's a potential downside of starting your research so early... :)) :ymblushing: