Barney my gorgeous boy has gone

Saying goodbye to our Schnauzers is the hardest part. Share your memories here as we bid farewell to our beloved friends. They've crossed the bridge and returned to the meadow in full health and free of injuries. Running free. We won't forget.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Barney my gorgeous boy has gone

Post by Dawnspell »

As you know he's been trying to overcome kidney failure for the past month. He seemed to be holding his own until Tuesday when he stopped eating. Then in the evening couldn't keep fluids down. We gave him subcutaneous fluids and he picked up and was eating.

Wednesday we were at the vets for hormone injection she also gave him anti nausea injection as kidney problems can irritate the stomach. He still wouldn't eat and became increasingly lethargic through Thursday despite more fluids, just laying sleeping and starting to shake as though cold.

This morning he so wanted to go in the car for his walk when I took my son to school. I wrapped him up in multiple layers and laid him on hot water bottles on the back seat. We went to the cliffs his tail was up and wagging but he only had the energy to walk around 30 feet and couldn't do anymore. He just looked at me to carry him back to the car. At home he continued to refuse food and was getting weaker just laying flat out by the fire. It was time, he wasn't in pain or distressed but living was getting too hard and I didn't want him to get to a point where he would be in pain or distress.

We've always said we'd have the vet come to the house. They were here within an hour of calling. His tail was wagging as I picked him up to put on my knee for his final few minutes. The vet and nurse said it was lovely to see him so relaxed. He died happy and in peace in his favorite spot. What better parting gift for my best friend. Will love you always Barney you'll never be forgotten :ymhug:
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Barney my gorgeous boy has gone

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Can't hold back the tears reading this Alison, so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Barney. I have so loved hearing about him.
Run free Barney RIP..... :( :YMHUG:
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Alison

I'm so so sorry to read you have lost your beautiful boy. Know exactly how you are feeling as its devastating when they leave us. I'm in tears too reading your sad news.....take care xx
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Alison - I'm so very sorry to hear about Barney. From reading your previous posts, it really felt like he was winning his fight. My thoughts are with you at this very sad time.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

So sorry to hear about Barney I felt like I knew him and feel your loss.

Tears are natures salve they wash away the pain and let fond memories shine through.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Alison,

I'm devestated to read about Barney this morning. I know from your many posts how much love and fun he added to your family in the six years he was with you and how loved he was, by all of you. He will be terribly missed.

Don’t let anyone think he was just a dog. He was a wonderful part of your life that you had to let go. You don’t just get over that.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

So sad to read of Barney's passing, Alison. It sounds as though you did all the right things with him and he was ready to go, having enjoyed his outing in the car with you and your son and trusting you to know that he was ready to say goodbye.

Like the others have said above, I am crying reading your post, knowing how much you loved him and the pain you will be going through. Sending hugs to you and your family :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Alison, we are so sorry to hear that you had to make the hardest decision of all. Barney was blessed to have such loving and caring parents.

Our two send hugs and licks.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Dear Alison

I'm so sorry to read this. Although i am very much a newbie to this forum, it was always a delight to see Barney's avatar pop up when you helped me with my queries. Such a handsome and wonderful boy. Thinking of you.

Em
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Dear Alison

I am so sorry to read this this morning. I haven't been on over the weekend, this is such a shock. So sorry for the loss of your dear boy. Since i first joined this forum, before we got Ollie, i remember yours being some of the first posts i read. You were always very helpful with any concerns i had. I felt an affinity with you and Barney as he was only a couple of months older than Ollie. No age at all.

We all feel like we knew him following your story, that is what is so hard, and I was so hopeful that he would pull through.

It must be the most awful and difficult decision to make but you know you did your best for him and he is at peace now. I can't imagine what you are going through. You can hear the love in your words; he was so adored. I am in tears for you. I will hug Ollie extra tight tonight and think of your lad. Thinking of you and sending all our love. xxxx
Al T

Post by Al T »

So sorry to hear this...sincerest condolences...awful when you have to make the decision....
Be proud of the life you gave him
Regards
Al.
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Dear Alison, I have just read your very sad post and want to say how sad and sorry I am to hear poor little Barney has now past over the bridge, he is now at peace, running free in the sunshine, bless him. My condolences to you and your family at the very sad time.
milosark2
First Name: vicky
Dog #1: Milo
is a: Black Std Dog
Born: 27 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Darcey
Born: 27 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Inka
Born: 07 Jan 2016

Post by milosark2 »

So very very sad and sorry to read the news
of your brave and beautiful Barney...sending our love and best wishes to you and your family xx
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Post by Champ629 »

Alison, I am so sad to read about your lovely boy Barney, such a brave lad through his illness. You gave him the best of everything and knew when it was his time to go. These little dogs get right inside our hearts and are never ever forgotten. Thinking of you all xx
Miniature Schnauzers: Sophie, Freddie and Dory

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. We really appreciate them :ymhug:
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"