Still miss him

Saying goodbye to our Schnauzers is the hardest part. Share your memories here as we bid farewell to our beloved friends. They've crossed the bridge and returned to the meadow in full health and free of injuries. Running free. We won't forget.
wazzockmum
First Name: Suzanne
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 14 Nov 1998
Dog #2: Archibald
Born: 08 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Alfie
Born: 16 May 2010

Still miss him

Post by wazzockmum »

There is, in everyone’s life a before and after. A line we cross, an event that divides our lives into the before and the after. Before he came, before she went, before we did this, before I met, before we saw , before we had…

My before and after was a black dog. A big black dog. A kind intelligent daft looking big fat wazzock of a dog. A Giant Schnauzer.. He was called Floyd.

Here and now is after. Life will never be the same. I had no idea it was coming…I could not have known.. no-one did.

He arrived shortly after a newly married happy couple moved into their dream house having spent all and more of every penny we had to get our house in the country where we could have dogs and horses and of course cats oh yes and then more dogs and more horses oh and several more cats and then some sheep too. It happens that way.

Conformation wise he was not a beauty – he was pigeon chested with a little fat pot belly ( which he never lost) he was short and broad and his back feet stood at ten to two. He was a PS X so although black he ended up quite bronze in colour. He had very soft fur and curly leg hair with wispy eyebrows and beard.

He arrived a week after we moved into our new house and then began to eat it. Slowly at first.. kitchen table legs, then the chair legs then the chairs themselves. Moving onto the kitchen cupboards and then the doors and the welsh dresser then the window frames and then the back door itself. Fruit bowls (and contents), egg boxes, bread bins and dustbins were little snacks in between the main menu. We once discovered him outside wearing the catflap around his neck with the flap on top of his head, the back door was splintered and he greeted us proudly to show off his handiwork.

He stole and buried telephones car keys mobiles gloves leads books tickets and post. He dug up daffodil bulbs and anything else the gardener planted. He became a “sucker” and carried a comfort blanket with him all the time – taking it everywhere he went and only being persuaded to leave it behind on walks. We called his blanket his “baby baby suck suck” and tormented him for ours that one day we would give it away.

He was a bed wrecker and went through hundreds of beds, always pulling the fluff out of them. Remember Orvis the guaranteed indestructible dog bed? Well guess what they do not guarantee them anymore. They sent us our money back with 2 beds for free in the end!

We had other GS’s as well. Uncle Douglas was 12 when Floyd arrived and when he was one we bought another puppy Arnold. We also had an occasional GS guest Max and on one memorable occasion Max and Floyd disappeared only to be found in the local dog pound having been discovered at our local picnic area stealing picnics.

He did not like playing with other dogs and when we had other dogs visiting he would come in the house and sit with us as if to say – I am NOT going out there! He played with Arnold sometimes but only at Arnold’s insistence. I think he would have read instead if he could.

When he was one he broke a bone in his foot. The vet fitted a plaster cast and sent him home. In the morning .. no plaster cast. Second fitting… this time also fitted with a lampshade. In the morning no lampshade no plaster cast. Third fitting… muzzle lampshade mustard covered sock. In the morning no muzzle no sock no lampshade no plaster cast. Fourth fitting – vets decide to keep him ( you are not taking this very seriously Mrs P!). Caged overnight with lampshade muzzle and new cast. In the morning …….. well you guessed it…. He was sat behind the surgery door when they opened up wagging his tail having removed and destroyed everything and got out of his cage, which was bent out of shape!

Realising his intelligence and keenness to learn I trained him to be gundog. Totally unbiased (!!!) I can say he was fantastic. The snootier members of the gun team might look down on him at first “What is THAT?” but they soon asked for his help on difficult retrieves and he became a welcome member of the team.

At home he would take the phone to whoever you requested ( he quickly learnt people’s names) the Sunday Papers were delivered to my husband in bed ( taking 2 – 3 trips!) he would fetch slippers and would leap into the back of the car when I had been shopping and carry the bags in one at a time for me.

Floyd had a great sense of humour and would steal things out of your pocket or anything you put down, he would stand in front of you leaping up and down with his new item until you tried to get it off him and then pelt off doing the wall of death around the garden. When he wanted t o go for a walk he would steal my walking hat and run around the garden with it.

This doesn’t end well. He was too young , he lost his spleen at 7 due to tumours and they came back 18mths later. He was 9 ½ when that terrible day came. I bought him that extra time but it was not enough. Nine and half is too young to lose your best friend and the love of your life.

He was my before and after.
nickycaplan

Re: Still miss him

Post by nickycaplan »

how moving to read your lovely comical description of a member of your family - floyd - i felt like i wanted to read more about him as he sounded such a character! You should write a short story or maybe even a book - I would read it! You were very lucky to have such a wonderful dog - I am sorry you lost him at a relatively young age - i know the hurt you feel - Jetson my ole beloved mongrel who I lost over 3 years ago was my before and after.
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

i laughed and shed a little tear reading this wonderful story of what sound like one very special and very loved dog (kiss)

I agree with the book i also felt hooked to your words and would have loved to have read more about him and his charachterful behaviour, i identified with the eating the house very well lol lol

He will always be with you you know, always there (kiss)
MicheleZ

Post by MicheleZ »

Reading about Floyd made me love him too - what a character! I am so sorry you lost him so young - it seems more tragic when they are young. We lost a GSD in the prime of his life and it hurts knowing he didn't get a full life and it feels unfair to me. We got his son and we lost him at almost 14 so he lived a full life but it still hurt all the same when he went. His life was stolen by cancer also. Thank you for telling me about Floyd - I loved reading about him.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

so lovely to read!
Maureen

Post by Maureen »

Wazzockmum, what a very moving story. You were very lucky to have such a lovable character as Floyd was. I know this is a sticky thing to say but with all the dogs I have had both past and present and I love them all the same - Meg is the girl who is my soul mate. Maybe it is a Giant characteristic that they make such an impression in our lives.

Thank you for sharing your memories of Floyd with us.
Maureen & Meg
wazzockmum
First Name: Suzanne
Born: 14 Nov 1998
Dog #2: Archibald
Born: 08 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Alfie
Born: 16 May 2010

Post by wazzockmum »

Thank you guys for your kind comments. 3 years on and think about him every day......

We entertain a lot and often at dinner parties Floyd would sneak in the dining room and wait for someone to leave the table. Taking his chance he would climb onto their chair and then sit at the table not moving just listening to the conversation and on one occasion a somewhat inebriated guest fell asleep against him.

One of his tricks was to stand on your knee and then flop his head against your shoulder – this was all prompted by a “who do you love Floyd?” No doubts there! I lost him once, we were walking in the forest and became separated his plaintive howls as he realised he did not know where I was were heart rendering. I always tell my boys a bedtime story – something along the lines of “slow rabbit wood where the three legged rabbits live” at this point Floyd would frantically suck his baby baby suck suck and slowly wag his tail in approval. Have you ever seen a white GS? Well I have… I bought both boys white sheepskin beds once. Floyd ever the destroyer wrecked Arnold’s first and when I came down in the morning Arnold was covered in white fur completely. I told Floyd off and got the usual response…. frantic sucking! The biggest tell off they get is the “wooden spoon” I have chased them out of the kitchen with it and banged it on the table but they have never needed a smack as such. Floyd would grab it out of my hand if I went on telling them off to long. What do you do about that? Laugh of course.

Yes he was special… and I think the other residents here knew it. Arnold would walk ahead of him and tell other dogs to “show a bit of respect – the gaffers coming.” This is how it appeared and our cats adored him. Our Persian chose to have her kittens in his bed, strangely it was the day he returned from his operation having lost his spleen… sitting in the kitchen drinking champagne celebrating his new “life” having been told it was curtains, as the kittens were born around him… this memory will live a long time and tears of joy rolled down both our faces as we sat there. His face said it all…. Mum you can’t blame ME for this!
Last edited by wazzockmum on 19 Feb 2010, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Oh wow, what a dog. It is easy to see why he was your before and after.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Post by Champ629 »

Thanks for sharing your memories of Floyd, I enjoyed reading about him, especially the bit about him sitting up to the table at dinner parties. I can't imagine your loss but it must be unbearable. Remember all the good times you had with your very special schnauzer friend Floyd.
Miniature Schnauzers: Sophie, Freddie and Dory

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

You will always miss him no matter what as you had one very special boy who fulled every minture of the day with joy.
What a one of Floyd was they broke the mould when god made him.
Molly (17/6/2005 - 11/9/2016) the 3 Essex girls Gemma, Dottie and Daisy Mae
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Thank you for sharing - a very special boy
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

oh such a love he was for you guys, a real soul mate, someone said to me once you will always have at least one Heart dog in your life, which i thought was a lovely way of putting things. Mine i think is Mabel yours most definitely seems to have been your boy Floyd
MicheleZ

Post by MicheleZ »

Your stories made me laugh and cry at the same time. I agree that while a person can love all their dogs very much, there are just some dogs that are special and you bond with them more. That is just the way of the heart I think. Again, I am so sorry you lost Floyd to cancer. Cancer steals so many dog's lives at all ages.

One thing you can be happy about - even though he was taken away from you unfairly, you had him in your life which was a great gift and a blessing. It is so much better to love them and lose them than to never have known them at all.......
Joni

Post by Joni »

I have just read this out to OH I enjoyed it so.

He must have been an honour to live with
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
Maggie May

Post by Maggie May »

I laughed and I cried when I read your moving tribute to Floyd, it made me want to go and give Maggie a big hug. You're line 'He was my before and after.' choked me up. (crying)

These Giants are such a challenge but they embed themselves in your heart and you will forgive them anything, that's how it goes. Your 'big fat wazzock of a dog' was such a character, and many of his traits seem so familiar(Maggie is a PSX). Maggie has the same habit of needing to carry a comfort blanket round, 'Blanky', she also likes a bit of wooden furniture....

In my life I have lost humans and I have lost pets, it is the pets I still miss. Thank you so much for sharing.
Jules
xxxx
'I want to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.'