Buying A Non-KC registered Puppy

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
si777mon

Buying A Non-KC registered Puppy

Post by si777mon »

Hi, need help. We are looking to buy a puppy, we found reputable breeder KC registered with years of experience. She says she wont register the puppy if I wont be showing, would its a decent breeder from what I can see online, whats your suggestions? Legit or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Buying A Non-KC registered Puppy

Post by zeta1454 »

There are no KC registered breeders - only puppies are registered by the Kennel Club. Have a look at this topic where I have tried to detail the difference between breeders who register their puppies and breeders who are members of the Assured Breeder Scheme:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22546" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the breeder is not a member of the Assured Breeder Scheme, they are not checked in any way by the Kennel Club as to their breeding other than, when they apply to register a litter, it will be checked by the KC from their records as to the age of the bitch and whether she has had a litter already in the previous 12 months. They will also check whether any endorsements have been placed on the bitch or stud dog which would prevent their offspring being registered.

If the breeder is a member of the Assured Breeder Scheme, they will be subject to home checks at least every three years by an experienced assessor; required to follow detailed guidance on the paperwork, advice and support longterm offered to new puppy families; mandatory eye testing on parent dogs; expected to eye screen the litter of pups before sale and provide a Contract of Sale (among other requirements). Breeders who fail to meet the high standards can be removed from the Scheme.

If the breeder you mention is a member of the Assured Breeder Scheme, I would be inclined to report to the Kennel Club that they have said they would not register the puppies unless they were going to be shown as this is really unacceptable.

KC registration offers the new family some assurance that they can check health status of parent dogs, inbreeding etc. and is such a minimal payment for the breeder in terms of puppy price that it is questionable why a reputable breeder would not do so.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Post by GaryThomlinson »

OP, please consider a rescue. There are many dogs desperate to be loved.
Gary
si777mon

Post by si777mon »

Hi All, thanks for your posts, I'm so glad I asked...

I made few phone calls to other KS Assured breeders and talked to some really nice people who really really care about the breed... We haven't decided anything yet and still looking around but yes defo not going for unregistered puppy unless its a rescued dog. Thanks for suggestion Gary and yes we do consider this option. There aren't that many schnauzers in rescues around us, do you know if there are a specific schnauzer rescues in North West/North Wales area?

Thanks again for your help :o)
Simon