Genetics in relation to coat colours

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Lulu5779
Puppy
First Name: Louise

Re: Genetics in relation to coat colours

Post by Lulu5779 »

Very interesting topic.

If you really want to know your dogs coat genes you can get them DNA tested and it's fairly cheap.

I use to breed Bengal cats years ago and would send a cheek swab cotton wool stick to UC Davis in California for coat colour testing.

https://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/dog.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's all done online and great for finding out about recessive coat colours.

I am not way interested in breeding schnauzers but thought it may be very useful.
Hannover
First Name: Vicki

Post by Hannover »

I realize this post was started some time ago..
I breed pepper/salt giants ( Hannover Giants) and have for a number of years..only p/s's. When my last litter was born all were born black as usually and lightened up over time. I kept a female..who had some brown in her coat but nothing I couldn't strip out..well she is now 4 month old and is not a p/s! she is fawn with a dark mask and some dark grey/or maybe black in her furnishings. She has a black nose and dark eyes. Here in Canada there are 16 different colour variations that can be registered with the Canadian Kennel Club (only p/s and blk can be shown) unfortunately I can't seem to upload my photos here (a hamster powers my computer) Does anyone out there also have red/fawn giants ??
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I've seen pictures of black and silver giants and there's a Facebook person who claims to have white giants in europe. Some pepper and salt minis can have a fawn streak down their backs. Pepper and salt giants aren't very common so can't really help.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

We have a pepper and salt Giant Schnauzer. As far as I am aware there are only two FCI official colours for the GS, i.e. black and pepper and salt.

There have been numerous articles regarding Black and Silver Giants. Maybe there will be some news during the Autumn Shows.
Will let you know.
schnozziemad
First Name: Jules

Post by schnozziemad »

I know this is an old thread but could anyone help please? I have a white bitch who carries P&S a few generations back. If I put her to my P&S male (who carries white from his white father), would the litter be all white or a mix of P&S and white? Thank you.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

schnozziemad wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 17:29 I know this is an old thread but could anyone help please? I have a white bitch who carries P&S a few generations back. If I put her to my P&S male (who carries white from his white father), would the litter be all white or a mix of P&S and white? Thank you.
Recessive genes need to be carried by both parent dogs in order for there to be a possibility of that colour appearing in the puppies of a litter but, even if both dogs have the gene, it does not necessarily mean that any/all of the pups will be that colour. Years ago we had 2 black and silver puppies in a litter of 4 pups from a mating of 2 P&S parents who each carried the gene for B&S but a repeat mating of the same 2 dogs resulted in a litter of all P&S.

If you are just thinking of breeding for the first time do make sure you have done all relevant research and that the parent dogs have both been eye tested clear for hereditary eye conditions and had clear DNA tests for MAC. There is some additional information for anyone thinking of breeding on this post with links to further information:

viewtopic.php?t=18178
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/