Puppy Advice: Protective Mum

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Kazzi
First Name: Karen

Puppy Advice: Protective Mum

Post by Kazzi »

Just been to see breeder who was recommended by a neighbor who got a dog from them previously. It’s this bitches 1st litter, she’s around 3yrs old & pups are 6wks. So puppies were brought into us in their lounge, we did not see their area at all. After a few minutes mum was brought in, breeder said she would be a little protective. She barked a lot, didn’t appear aggressive just very unsure. Took lots of sniffs then eventually a lick & then seemed to quite like attention. Couple of things bother me:
- I made a movement with my arm whilst standing up from floor which startled her & she jumped & nipped my finger. Not a proper bite more a gentle closing of her mouth.
- pups hadn’t yet met any new people & no interaction with children. I realise not always possible but this dog is to be a pal for my 8yr old
- we said we’d like to see Dad but didn’t get to& he was kept separate from rest of dogs. They have a few.

Sorry it’s a bit long but I have doubts. Any thoughts from those with more knowledge & experience than myself?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Puppy Advice: Protective Mum

Post by Dawnspell »

If it doesn't feel right then walk away. There do seem to be a few bells ringing there. Have Mum and dad been health tested ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :-)

Some comments on your post:

You should have been able to see where the puppies are kept through the day and at night. Preferably they should, by six weeks of age, have a large play area, be allowed supervised play sessions outside weather permitting and a sleeping area within the house.

Were you confident that the bitch brought in was the mother (did she interact with the puppies and they with her; were her nipples swollen and evidence physically that she had given birth six weeks previously?)

Assuming she was the mother, it is not uncommon for a mother to be protective of her babies especially around strangers which is why it is best for you to be allowed time to interact with the pups when their mum is not present. You need to see her and know she is their Mum but also you need to be able to hold and play with the pups safely with no worries.

If the puppies have actually not met any people / children outside of the breeder and family then that is a worry at six weeks and odd that they have not yet met any other prospective puppy buyers. The best breeders have a waiting list of people for their puppies sometimes as far as a year in advance and anyone wanting a puppy from them will have been given the opportunity to see the pups from at least 4 weeks of age if not earlier and certainly between 4 and 6 weeks would be coming to visit. Between 6 and 7 weeks of age (assuming these puppies are miniature schnauzers), the whole litter will need to be taken to a veterinary ophthalmologist for eye screening to be sure there are no signs of Congenital Hereditary Cataracts and a certificate issued for the whole litter with the results for each puppy. Both the mother of the puppies and the father should have had a clear eye screening test for Hereditary Cataracts and Progressive Retinal Atrophy in addition within the last 12 months. No reputable breeder will be breeding from dogs that have not had clear annual eye tests. Additionally if you are in the UK or the USA, the parent dogs should also have been DNA tested for MAC (Mycobacterium Avium Complex) which is a one off test to ensure they don't carry the gene for the potentially fatal condition which can be passed to their offspring.

It is not common for good breeders to use their own sire although it may be done occasionally but, if they do own both sire and dam, you should really be given the opportunity to see them both.

Do have a read through the Puppy Care and Breeding sections for topics that may be useful.
This link will give you some idea of the kind of breeding you are looking for when seeking a puppy for your family:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21034

It is vital that the breeder is doing as much as possible to raise good temperament, healthy and self confident puppies and this does involve a lot of work on their part. From the moment the pups are able to see and hear, their days should involve challenges, positive novel experiences and encouraging them to accept novelty as not something that should necessarily be scary. It would be impossible to introduce them to every different kind of experience they might meet in the future but the more positive different experiences they do encounter, the more likely they are to accept any new person / place / noise etc. without becoming anxious or reactive.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Thanks for the add & for your replies.
I'm in the UK both parents have been eye health tested not sure about MAC will ask about that. The puppies will be vet & eye checked in the next week. The bitch was definitely the Mum as the pups did suckle from her, she didn't really pay them much attention she was more interested in checking us out & keeping an eye on us. We did have time with the pups without her but their temperaments flattened off when she left & they weren't really interacting with us or toys, they did go hiding in corners a fair bit. They were born 1wk premature so perhaps they are behind developmentally?
They've been breeders for years & involved in judging so I don't doubt their credentials just more whether this litter is right for us.
I had read lots of helpful info on here before visiting which is why it's raised these doubts for me, I guess I was after some experienced viewpoints to see whether I'm being overly cautious about a big decision.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Karen,
Sorry I have only just seen your reply now so am assuming this litter is the same one as in your other post.

Clearly from what you say, the breeder is experienced and presumably should be carrying out all the health testing - I definitely would want to know they have done the DNA test for MAC as this is expected by all the schnauzer breed clubs. Length of time breeding and (sadly) the fact that they judge at shows is not 100% guarantee that they are raising puppies as they should be.

It is hard to be certain whether the pups were tired and that was why they were less active as that is possible. You might be better trying to arrange another visit at a time when the pups usually are active. Do not worry about being cautious- all puppy seekers need to be absolutely certain that they are making the right decision when they choose a breeder to obtain a puppy for their family.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Hi Zeta

Yes it is the same litter, I've just replied so thank you for your response. I won't repeat my comments here as I think its more relevant to the puppy related post. I appreciate your reassurance, we had a rescue cat before that was always scared of everything even its own shadow & would stress response wee on our beds!! Sadly we had to rehome him after 4years of trying to rehabilitate, so as much as possible I need to be sure we're making the right choice.