Miniature Schnauzer London/Surrey

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Gillan
First Name: Gillian

Miniature Schnauzer London/Surrey

Post by Gillan »

Hi All

Myself and my partner are looking to get a miniature schnauzer. We live in Wimbledon but happy to travel to meet/collect the pup. We are happy to wait for litters but are very keen to have a dog in our lives as soon as possible. We were waiting to complete our house and now that this is ready we feel in a good position to give a pup a home.
Does anyone know of any breeders in my area? Any suggestion of where to start would be great! I have been looking on KC website and dogs4homes but just thought someone on here might have some good advice!

Thanks in advance!

Gillian
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Miniature Schnauzer London/Surrey

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Gillian and welcome to the Forum :)

Unfortunately due to the Covid-19 restrictions, many reputable breeders are delaying litters until the situation improves and breeders generally are being inundated with requests for puppies since the lockdown started. Sadly the worst kind of breeder / puppy farmers are cashing in on this and you may find it better to wait some months more to avoid falling for a puppy from these backgrounds and to allow the better breeders time to sift through the thoughtless enquiries from people just looking for a lockdown dog which will be abandoned once life gets back to some kind of normality.

Generally speaking, I would avoid any online seller and restrict your search to breeders on the Kennel Club Assured Breeder Lists or any credible recommendations although in both cases you must check out the breeder yourself as to how confident you are as to their knowledge of the breed, how they raise their puppies, the health tests that have been or will be carried out, whether you are getting a contract of sale and lifetime support and advice re your new puppy from the breeder. This is a brief list but there is more detailed information and advice on topics in the Puppy Care and Breeder sections on the Board Index so do check these out.

It is always best to be prepared to wait and to travel to find a first class breeder rather than compromise on a poor quality breeding set up just because they have pups available or are close by where you live.

I will also send a PM to you as recommended breeder details cannot be posted on the public page.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
DeeC
Puppy
First Name: Dee

Post by DeeC »

Hello, I have a very similar question around breeders. I lost my black schnauzer (Scooby) 2 years ago and feel about ready now to have a new dog without feeling like I’m replacing him. I would ideally like a black and silver and am happy to wait for the right breeder and litter. Please could someone Pm me with any reputable breeders who may have black and silver parents. Thank you so much.
Denise
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

DeeC wrote: 30 May 2020, 15:33 Hello, I have a very similar question around breeders. I lost my black schnauzer (Scooby) 2 years ago and feel about ready now to have a new dog without feeling like I’m replacing him. I would ideally like a black and silver and am happy to wait for the right breeder and litter. Please could someone Pm me with any reputable breeders who may have black and silver parents. Thank you so much.
Denise
Hi Denise - I have sent you a PM :)

DeeC
Puppy
First Name: Dee

Post by DeeC »

Thanks so much for the information and advice.

I loved using this forum years ago, especially when Scooby was young, and it’s lovely to see it still going strong.

Denise
LOWN006
First Name: Nicholas

Post by LOWN006 »

hey zeta1454, we lost our mini schnauzer friend to old age in feb this year :( ready to move on now and find another life long companion. could you please pm me your brief list as a starting point too?

thank you!
Sween80
First Name: Iain

Post by Sween80 »

All,

After much research and debate about what type of dog we would like to join our family we have finally settled on a miniature schnauzer.

Having done so I have contacted a number of breeders researched through KC but no joy so far. We are in a similar area to opening poster - SW London, but happy to travel to find the right breeder and pup. That said would ideally like it to be within 50 ish miles.

Any advice on breeders in this area would be much appreciated as PMd to those above.

Thank you.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Sween80 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 06:54 All,

After much research and debate about what type of dog we would like to join our family we have finally settled on a miniature schnauzer.

Having done so I have contacted a number of breeders researched through KC but no joy so far. We are in a similar area to opening poster - SW London, but happy to travel to find the right breeder and pup. That said would ideally like it to be within 50 ish miles.

Any advice on breeders in this area would be much appreciated as PMd to those above.

Thank you.

Hello,Iain and welcome to the Forum :)

I have sent you a private message but do be aware that the on-going problem of lockdown /restrictions is still affecting the number of puppies being bred by reputable breeders. During the summer, good breeders were being inundated with enquiries for puppies and some were really struggling to cope with responding to them all. Things had started to recover before the second lockdown but it is a really hard time to be looking for a well bred puppy just now. Traditionally the best breeders would not let a puppy go to a new home in the run up to Christmas and New Year anyway and that is a another reason why the winter is not ideal for searching for a puppy although you may find breeders willing to add you to a waiting list for the future.

As well as the recommendations in my private message, I would suggest that you could contact each of the 3 schnauzer breed clubs as the Secretary of the Club may be able to offer some guidance re breeders who are known within the Club.

http://www.theminiatureschnauzerclub.co.uk/

http://northernschnauzerclub.co.uk/

http://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/

Do be sure to check out any and all recommended breeders yourself to be sure that you are confident in the standard of their breeding and the welfare of their puppies. The breeder should be knowledgeable about the breed, provide advice and a written Contract of Sale and copies of health test screening for parent dogs as a minimum. Members of the Kennel Club Assured Breeder Scheme are required to health test their dogs and are subject to in-depth inspection by experienced assessors at least every three years so should give some reassurance that they are reputable - you can check out the full requirements of the ABS on the Kennel Club website. However, as said above still make sure yourself that you trust and are happy with their breeding protocol.

Lepar
First Name: Lola

Post by Lepar »

Hello, I'm doing some research and looking into licensed and reputable breeders. I'm based in London but happy to travel a reasonable distance. I'm not in a rush to get a puppy, and prefer to wait to make sure they come from a good breeder. Could I have a copy of the list of breeders mentioned earlier in this thread? Thanks
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Lepar wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 19:02 Hello, I'm doing some research and looking into licensed and reputable breeders. I'm based in London but happy to travel a reasonable distance. I'm not in a rush to get a puppy, and prefer to wait to make sure they come from a good breeder. Could I have a copy of the list of breeders mentioned earlier in this thread? Thanks
Welcome to the Forum :)

I have in the past offered some suggestions to families in the South East of England looking for a puppy and can email you some contacts of breeders I know to be reputable. Licensed breeders, even today with the new legislation, are not always reputable and many are high volume breeders producing many litters of puppies in a year so do be extra vigilant with licensed businesses as their commitment to welfare may be secondary to their desire for profit.

If you check out the topics in the Breeding and Puppy sections of the Forum, you will find posts with guidance on what to look out for when sourcing a puppy from a breeder in terms of health testing, how they raise their puppies and the extent of their knowledge about the breed, health, grooming etc. and their commitment to support and advise anyone who does get a puppy from them. You will most likely have to get your name on a waiting list of one or several breeders in order to improve your chances of getting a puppy and be sure that you are confident in the breeder’s integrity and that they have been concerned to find out as much as possible about you and your family so they are happy to entrust one of their pups to you.

If Crufts or other Championship dog shows do go ahead in 2022, it is always worthwhile visiting these on the day that miniature schnauzers are being shown as it offers the chance to meet many breeders in one place and, by visiting the Discover Dogs section get a chance to meet owners who may be able to recommend other breeders too. Almost all the puppies bred by reputable show breeders will go to pet families - getting a puppy of sufficient quality and the right temperament for showing is always the hope and aim of these breeders but it is only a small number that achieve this. However, all their pups will have been raised and bred to the same high standard so I would always recommend a breeder who does or has shown their dogs.

LineyDavies
First Name: Caroline

Post by LineyDavies »

zeta1454 wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 17:46 [quote=Lepar post_id=308347 time=1640631775 user_id=1

I have in the past offered some suggestions to families in the South East of England looking for a puppy and can email you some contacts of breeders I know to be reputable.
Could you please email me a list of these breeders? Many thanks.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

LineyDavies wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 11:34
zeta1454 wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 17:46 [quote=Lepar post_id=308347 time=1640631775 user_id=1

I have in the past offered some suggestions to families in the South East of England looking for a puppy and can email you some contacts of breeders I know to be reputable.
Could you please email me a list of these breeders? Many thanks.
I did email you a couple of days ago - Tuesday evening. I did receive a copy of the mail myself so it definitely went out. Maybe check your junk mail? I sent it via the Forum :)

P.S If you can’t find it I will copy it and send again.

Lepar
First Name: Lola

Post by Lepar »

Zeta1454, thank you so much for the list and the suggestions. I've gone through the breeding section and found it really useful too. Great idea to go to dog shows!

There was someone else who replied to your post asking for the list of breeders, LineyDavies.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Lepar wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 19:33 Zeta1454, thank you so much for the list and the suggestions. I've gone through the breeding section and found it really useful too. Great idea to go to dog shows!

There was someone else who replied to your post asking for the list of breeders, LineyDavies.
Sorry about the mix-up!

Glad the list was helpful and I have now sent a reply to the other enquirer too :)