Advice please

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
katjm
First Name: Kat

Advice please

Post by katjm »

Hi everyone,
I’ve had a look on the KC website but not had much joy, can anyone tell me of any good breeders of miniature schnauzers in the south east please? Also, what is an average price for a pup, how much has covid knocked up prices? Thanks very much x
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Advice please

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Kat and welcome to the Forum :)

The COVID-19 crisis has resulted in many of the best breeders delaying having litters of pups which means your best course is to contact as many of the breeders on the Assured Breeder lists and maybe those on the breed club lists and get your name on a waiting list for when things get back to normal. You do need to be extra careful at this time as there are many backyard breeders and puppy farmers cashing in on the increased demand for puppies during lockdown and due to fewer well bred pups being available as the reputable breeders had stopped breeding temporarily.

I would have thought that reputable breeders will not have been increasing their prices - of itself if they are hiking up prices I would regard that as a sign they were only interested in making money and not the welfare of their puppies. It is a while since we bred miniature schnauzers but I would have thought you would be looking at around £1500 - £1800 for a well bred puppy but this may vary on locality.

It really is important to look for a first class breeder when getting a puppy as the cost in terms of suffering of the breeding dogs in the hands of disreputable breeders and the likely chronic health issues of the pups they breed are not to be ignored by anyone who cares about dog welfare. Whichever breeders you contact or who are recommended, do check them out thoroughly yourself which will involve home visits and direct contact - both of which are going to be really difficult during lockdown so bear this in mind and that, even in the best of times, reputable breeders would not be letting puppies go to new homes around Christmas and New Year for obvious reasons. Good luck in your search but do be prepared to wait for a well bred puppy from a caring breeder.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/