Driffield Show Mini's

If your Schnauzer is Best in Show at the county fair or CRUFTS, share it with all of us. You will find show listings along with results from the various dog shows around the country. You will more than likely spot a few members in the show ring.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: Driffield Show Mini's

Post by Maty »

Not Crufts Judi???? ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Sorry :(
Judi & the lovely Little Gem
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

In addition to all the other congrats, and I'm aware I may be a little late with this if it is posted elsewhere, but additional congratulations to Tom and Louis for the Show Certificate of Merit, that took a lot of work over many many shows so double well done on your ShCM, your reserve CC and your Studbook Number.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

BeeBee wrote:
Maty wrote:
See, just goes to prove that I really do no nothing about the show world :ymblushing:
Me too, but I'll know better than to try & improve my knowledge here in the showing forum next time Im interested, I'll wait for some other poor, ignorant idiot to ask ;)
Please do ask, there are plenty here willing to share their knowledge and know that the only way to keep the sport alive is to share that knowledge and hope that it interests people who then come along. Bashing someone for asking a question is no way to share a love for a sport and does not encourage people to ask, it only promotes ignorance which leads to fear and fear leads to hate (I know you are not a hater Bee!).

Unhelpful responses will only help push showing even further onto the fringes, reduce the number of people prepared to take part and eventually lead to shows stopping as Show Societies don't get enough entries to justify running a show. After all one of the commonest reasons I have heard for people who stop showing is that it was the unhelpful, unfriendly attitudes of the other competitors that put them off.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

Caramomo wrote: Please do ask, there are plenty here willing to share their knowledge and know that the only way to keep the sport alive is to share that knowledge and hope that it interests people who then come along. Bashing someone for asking a question is no way to share a love for a sport and does not encourage people to ask, it only promotes ignorance which leads to fear and fear leads to hate.
well posted :-bd
out of interest, I often look on this section of the forum, and a couple of recent questions asked by other people, were what I was wondering too.
many thanks to those members for helping to explain how things work :)
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Cam2 wrote:
Caramomo wrote: Please do ask, there are plenty here willing to share their knowledge and know that the only way to keep the sport alive is to share that knowledge and hope that it interests people who then come along. Bashing someone for asking a question is no way to share a love for a sport and does not encourage people to ask, it only promotes ignorance which leads to fear and fear leads to hate.
well posted :-bd
out of interest, I often look on this section of the forum, and a couple of recent questions asked by other people, were what I was wondering too.
many thanks to those members for helping to explain how things work :)
Thank you, I didn't think I could be the only person to wonder if in a competition and there are only 2 or 3 competitors it would just be a case of deciding who got 1st, 2nd, 3rd or might not even win anything at all
Caramomo wrote: Unhelpful responses will only help push showing even further onto the fringes, reduce the number of people prepared to take part and eventually lead to shows stopping as Show Societies don't get enough entries to justify running a show. After all one of the commonest reasons I have heard for people who stop showing is that it was the unhelpful, unfriendly attitudes of the other competitors that put them off.
Yes, this is something the show world is known for isn't it. If I didn't have a fairly thick skin I might go creeping off from here never to be seen again b-(
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by tombaker »

Caramomo wrote:In addition to all the other congrats, and I'm aware I may be a little late with this if it is posted elsewhere, but additional congratulations to Tom and Louis for the Show Certificate of Merit, that took a lot of work over many many shows so double well done on your ShCM, your reserve CC and your Studbook Number.
Thanks Elaine, I'm so proud of him, especially to get his ShCM at 20 months old. Sadly, he missed his JW by 2 points (plenty of class wins, but not enough dogs)! My main aim this year was to get his studbook number, so now I need a new goal.
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

Consolations on the JW, that really was bad luck. Need a new goal you say, how about a CC or two, or maybe even three? ;) We know you can do it.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

[quote="

It is possible for a judge to withhold a placing in any class right up to the top level if they feel that the exhibit is not of a suitable quality as regards health, structure or conformation and this does happen. We know of several instances of this recently both in mini schnauzers and Giants as well as other breeds. For an exhibitor, although it is a great feeling to come home with a card to say you have achieved a placing, it is often the judge's critiques that can be of most interest. 1st and 2nd places in a class will be given a critique by the judge which will be published in newspapers such as Dog World and Our Dogs and these critiques are the judge's opportunity to highlight and comment on good conformation, temperament, structure and movement or to criticise points which they feel could be improved upon.
.[/quote]

And at long last the judge's critique arrived! And for anyone interested in the kind of points often commented on by a judge this is a fairly typical style of commentary:

Darksprite Irish Maverick well grown 6 months pepper / salt youngster of nice type and conformation but a bit unruly and giving his handler a hard time. Attractive masculine head, pleasing body shape, level top-line with tail well set on, moved well once he settled.

Highlighting the good points which justified his placing and remarking on anything that was not quite up to scratch - in this case Maverick's inexperience in the show ring - but if a 6 month old schnauzer boy at his first championship show can't be a bit unruly he's probably not a schnauzer :ymdevil: =)) =))
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi Leigh
What was it that yourselves and Robert could see in Maverick that made the decision he was best suited to the ring out of the litter ? Or of course all 4 were suitable :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Judi Ibbotson
First Name: Judi
Dog #1: Little Gem
Born: 16 Mar 2011

Post by Judi Ibbotson »

Sorry i moved these to a different folder on photobucket

Judi & the lovely Little Gem
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Dawnspell wrote:Hi Leigh
What was it that yourselves and Robert could see in Maverick that made the decision he was best suited to the ring out of the litter ? Or of course all 4 were suitable :))

I think that all 4 puppies did have the potential to be shown - their pedigree did come through in them all - but not all were likely to have done well so we tried to find the one who not only had the best conformation - looked most likely to develop into a dog that would be as near as possible to the breed standard - but would also have the right temperament for showing. You want a dog that is confident and will 'show' well. Robert had already decided that he would prefer a male so that did narrow it down to 2 although in the event I do believe Maverick was the likeliest of the 4 to do the best showing anyway.

Nothing is certain when you choose a puppy as they can fail to develop as hoped but at just under 8 weeks I had all 4 pups in the garden and was watching them with my camera and caught Maverick just standing:

This picture showed him naturally standing in a 'show' style stack tail held up, head forward, neck straight and back legs parallel. He looked a picture for such a young pup and temperamentally (despite his 'unruly' manner in the ring at Driffield :ymdevil: :)) ) he was more likely to cope with the demands of the show ring than his brother. He was less fretful when left in his crate, could be more amenable to training, able to cope with long sessions standing, grooming etc. He does have a good temperament but, where his mother is such a sweet affectionate girl and wanted to jump up and lick the judge :)) , Maverick looks a more likely candidate to preserve his cool in the ring as he matures and hopefully fulfil the promise of his puppy looks.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robert Lockwood
First Name: ROBERT

Post by Robert Lockwood »

Firstly... I'd like to thank everyone for their support and congratulations with regards to Mavericks 1st show. It was a great thrill and payback for time and effort invested not just by us, but by Mavericks breeders Leigh and Judith at Darksprite for having faith in us as 1st time dog showers , and by our groomer Steve who puts in many hours of his own time to make sure Maverick looks as handsome as he does. (if only he could do the same for me :) )

As for picking Maverick.....well the above picture says it all , any puppy that can stand and look like that at 7 weeks picks himself really....so we can't take credit for that :)
Robert Lockwood
First Name: ROBERT

Post by Robert Lockwood »

A couple of pics...
ImageImageImage
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I think it was Leigh's photograph above of Maverick in the garden that told me I would be getting the puppy I had wanted from the very first photo's of the litter - I just hadn't dared let myself believe it would happen ;)

My sister kept telling me that I would get the right pup for me and I truly believe that I have :x I also believe that Robert has the right dog for him and the world of showing and he proved that by qualifying for Crufts at his first outing :-bd

Not to take anything away from Maverick, but the whole litter were stunning and that is down to the hard work of the breeders in picking the right dog in the first place, Magic is a darling, then choosing a mate for her so wisely and finally seeing Magic & her pups safely through to their new homes.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage