Required height for dog when showing in the dog ring

If your Schnauzer is Best in Show at the county fair or CRUFTS, share it with all of us. You will find show listings along with results from the various dog shows around the country. You will more than likely spot a few members in the show ring.
Bracken 01
Puppy
First Name: Annie

Required height for dog when showing in the dog ring

Post by Bracken 01 »

Hi could anybody tell me what is the tallest a mini Schnauzer dog can be too show, and when does a pup stop growing.
Bracken is 7months, I find it hard to get a correct measurement for him he is between 14 and 15inches I think.
His Dad is 14 high and Mum 12inches so he looks like he could be bigger.

I was told by the Breeder pups stop growing at 9months. So what height should I expect. :-??
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Required height for dog when showing in the dog ring

Post by zeta1454 »

The recommended height for a male mini schnauzer in the Breed Standard is 14" in the UK. That is 14" to the withers ( approx. to the shoulders ). Mini schnauzers are not a breed that is actually measured in the show ring so a small deviation will probably not be noticeable and much may depend on the size of the other dogs in the class as to whether one would stand out as being much too big or too small. Size alone is also not the most significant aspect looked for unless it is dramatically out of the standard - there is a whole complex of different points which a judge will be looking for and height is only one of these.

It is rare for a dog to be smaller than his mother but size can be unpredictable and even breeding from two correctly sized parents according to the breed standard can at times result in a smaller or larger than average puppy. From the measurement you have given for Bracken's parents he should be within the standard but it can take up to a year for some pups to achieve their height so probably a bit soon yet to tell.

If you are interested in showing Bracken you may find these links helpful:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/service ... px?id=4096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/activit ... standards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Rodders stopped grown upwards at 7 month, Creggan was nearer to 9 months so even that isn't an exact science ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

I sometimes wonder when Albert did stop growing... I kinda missed it as I expected him to be taller =)) I forget how tall Barnaby is Albert stands next to him!!!
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014

Post by summer46 »

A good way to tell if your dog still has a bit of growing to do is to feel if the growth plates are closing. If you feel down the front legs where it bends above the paws a dog which is still growing it will feel knobbly a dog finished growing it will feel smooth.
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]