Best dog food brand for mini Schnauzer

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Reanad
First Name: Jack
Dog #1: Ben
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 04 Apr 2016

Best dog food brand for mini Schnauzer

Post by Reanad »

Bringing home a mini Schnauzer in the coming weeks and I’m contemplating which dog food brand to get. I was told by the breeder to get Royal Canin specified for mini schnauzers but I hear that brand isn’t too good and contains a lot of starch which they cannot digest. I’ve heard good things about Origen and Merricks as well as raw food diet. What are good dry food brands? Also, do you mix raw food with the dry food sometimes?

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Best dog food brand for mini Schnauzer

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum Jack :)

Our dogs are raw fed and have been for over 13 years now. They are all fit and healthy and do very well on this diet. As we have 12 dogs of different ages and because I am a non meat eater myself, I prefer to use prepared raw food from a trusted supplier here in the UK which is convenient and I know the meat meals are balanced as regards, bone, muscle meat etc. but you can DIY if you are confident in getting the balance of nutrients etc. right. I would not mix raw and dry food in a meal for the dogs although we do use tiny grain free kibble pieces for treats and training.

Many of the dry foods available through breeders and vet surgeries are high in price and low in nutritional value, having a high quantity of starches / grains and often unspecified meats. There is a good website analysing dog food brands available here in the UK which also has a glossary to explain the meaning of ingredients listed on dry dog food packaging:

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

There is also a website in the US which similarly looks at dog food brands which you may find helpful:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

welcome to the forum my boy Gino is fed Burns dry kibble as was my last girl certainly had no problems with it.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl

https://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/wetnosesociety/

https://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/we ... 717UIcTKY/

GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Hello. We feed our boy Forthglade complete grain free trays. I think it's very individual - what works for one schnauzer may not be best suited to another. Monty has a bit of a sensitive tum but Forthglade has been great for him.

Cejay
First Name: Caroline

Post by Cejay »

Hi. I feed Butternut box to both of mine. They are always waiting at their bowl and eat it all.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I cannot recommend a raw diet enough. Great skin, coat, teeth and robust digestion. Small, non smelly, firm poops. Do some research on the benefits and it's so easy when you buy a prepared complete balanced brand. Wish I had known about it for my 1st schnauzer. I wouldn't ever feed anything else.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Another raw feeder here though we did start on a wet food as this was what the breeder used. My first mini had loads of tummy issues but the vet has missed out on my fees since we moved onto raw. I can't recommend it highly enough but I'm not "exclusive" about it.

I know about a dozen mini schnauzers on Guernsey and I'm only aware of a few raw feeders with others using kibble and/or wet food. Most though do seem to search out a good quality version of food and this is where allaboutdogfood comes in to its own.

Best of luck.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/

Edwin
First Name: Carmen

Post by Edwin »

GoEmGo wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 10:43
Hello. We feed our boy Forthglade complete grain free trays. I think it's very individual - what works for one schnauzer may not be best suited to another. Monty has a bit of a sensitive tum but Forthglade has been great for him.
Hi there. I have been looking at forthglade and am keen on this.
Sadly we lost our boy in October to many health issues but when we find the right, ethical breeder we will be having another schnauzer in our life for sure.
We tried raw with Edwin and it did not suit him at all.
What Forthglade recipes do you use? Im trying to investigate fat and protein levels
Thank you

GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Edwin wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 13:02
Hi there. I have been looking at forthglade and am keen on this.
Sadly we lost our boy in October to many health issues but when we find the right, ethical breeder we will be having another schnauzer in our life for sure.
We tried raw with Edwin and it did not suit him at all.
What Forthglade recipes do you use? Im trying to investigate fat and protein levels
Thank you
Hi, we feed Monty the grain free trays. He has the turkey, chicken and duck varieties. We found the lamb made his poop very crumbly and the others we just haven't tried. He gets on very well with them and is a one poop in the morning a day kinda guy.

His coat is super shiny and his once very apparent tear stains are much improved. However, this could also be because they were just a puppy thing! He's a very trim 8.5kg.

We do give him a little Woodland Walk Lily's Kitchen dry too each day because he adores the crunch. It really works for Monty and I hope you find the perfect food for your new pup too.