Mini Schnauzer breeders E Sussex area

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
TangoScarlet
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Poppy
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 17 Feb 2013

Mini Schnauzer breeders E Sussex area

Post by TangoScarlet »

My family is new to dogs and have decided on a mini schnauzer.

We would love a healthy, happy, friendly, family dog and would like a few recommendations of breeders?

I live between Tunbridge Wells and Hastings.

We dont require a kennel club dog (unless you think it necessary) - as we dont want it a perfect show dog!

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance to all contributors - its VERY appreciated

Kind regards Sam
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: Mini Schnauzer breeders E Sussex area

Post by Maty »

Hi and welcome :-h

Good choice of breed :D We won't try to talk you out of it ;) However we will all try to convince you that there is a need to buy a KC Registered dog :D So many puppies are bred by puppy farmers in horrendous conditions with no thought for their health or their Mum's (who are used as breeding machines :(( ) which can mean that your gorgeous puppy turns in to a nightmare over time and has all sorts of health problems. By buying from a KC Registered breeder you will know that they have to meet certain criteria and the bitch and sire will have had proper eye tests. A responsible breeder will go much further than this.

We don't talk about specific breeders in open forum but I am sure people will send you a PM if they have any recommendations.

Good luck with your search :) I hope you will come back with any more questions and to share the news of your bundle of joy.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
TangoScarlet

Post by TangoScarlet »

Thank you for your feedback. Its been very useful.

If some is able to pm me with recommended breeders in the East Sussex area then Id be very grateful

Id love to feedback about my new puppy once we find one - but must admit a little nervous of the idea (this is my daughter's idea!)
Maty

Post by Maty »

Just a few more thoughts......

Some people travel a long way to get the perfect puppy for them so you may need to increase your search area.

The breed club secretaries (Schnauzer Club GB, Northern Schnauzer Club etc) hold breeder lists. If you ask them they will send them to you and then you can ring breeders to see if they have any puppies expected soon - beware, many have waiting lists!

The kennel club puppy finder can be very useful.

If you don't feel comfortable talking to the breeder walk away, there will be someone else that you get on well with. Expect them to ask questions and to be happy to answer any you have.
Maty

hart
First Name: odette

Post by hart »

hi . maty has already given you some good advice, I wouldn't buy a pup that wasn't from a KC ASSURED BREEDER. you can get intouch with the Kennel club and they will give you a current list of assured breeders or have a look at CHAMP DOGS.

good luck in your search. remember to ask to see relavent eye test paperwork for the parents and the pups.

Do your homework, and expect the breeder to question you as well as you asking questions.

At the very least make sure you see the dam with the pups (the sire may not be available for viewing if he's a hired stud dog). don't be fobbed off if the mum is not around when you go view a litter, this could be a sign that the litter is a farmed one or bought in from another source.

if you're not happy with the conditions the pups are living in WALK AWAY . don't buy a pup because you feel sorry for it.
TangoScarlet

Post by TangoScarlet »

Again - many thanks for all your help!
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

^^ welcome to the forum, some great advice from Maty and Hart already. One more thing, on your puppy search if you are in doubt, then just ask! - we are a very friendly bunch, and it can be a minefield :)
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

With regards to your KC point and your line about not wanting a perfect show dog;

The others have already made some good points about KC registration, but I just wanted to add that while I can think of many bad reasons a puppy may not have KC registration, I have never been able to think of a good one.

Also you have chosen a miniature schnauzer and part of that choice will have been based on it's appearance - as such you are entitled to the best example of that breed you can find, especially as a show potential puppy is no more expensive than a pet puppy from a responsible breeder. Saying that you are unlikely to be offered a show potential puppy as the breeder should be keeping the very best of the litter for themselves and will often have people waiting for a show potential that will be given those pups. But you will often find that a good litter will be all but identical to you, with just tiny differences marking out a puppy with show potential. Also a puppy at 8 weeks old can only ever have potential - whilst some breeders are very good at spotting that potential all will have a story to tell of an ugly duckling that when they saw it again years later it was a beautiful dog, and also of the truly promising puppy with all the indicators of a champion that just faded away as the dog matured.

You are going to pay out a lot of money for this pup, why not get the best you can find. When looking for a sofa you want comfort and beauty. When looking for a dog you should aim for a breeder that combines health, temperament and beauty. Breeders that ignore any one of these is doing their puppies and puppy buyers a huge disservice. Demand quality, that is what you are paying for - a quality puppy with good health, excellent temperament and good looks. (Based on the purely cynical and shallow aspect here, you are going to be looking at this dog every day for the next 15 years - you might as well look at a pretty one! :D )
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Some good posts here already. Elaine, you do make me chuckle. Rupert does object though. He thinks he is very handsome, not pretty. =))

Sam, I live in Tunbridge Wells and found both our boys through the Kennel Club Puppy Finder. Rupert has pure luck as he was bred about 7 miles from us. I didn't know much at the time, but stuck to the Kennel Club route as it seemed to make sense as a novice puppy hunter. I was guided very much by what they had on their website about finding the perfect puppy. Rupert was meant to be a pepper & salt bitch :)) but when we saw him we just fell in love. Fortunately, the puppies were all indoor reared and mum was around too. We also got on really well with the breeder and have met up with her again for walks since getting Rupert. So, falling in love was not such a bad thing and we ended up with a black dog. I don't know if I would have been able to walk away at that point.

By the time in came to choosing our second dog, I had found the forum and have learnt so much from it. I uncovered the horrors of puppy farms and the way dogs are treated. I was lucky with Rupert that he came from a loving home, because I probably wouldn't have been able to spot a puppy farmer at the time. We used the Kennel Club puppy finder again and we found our perfect puppy in Devon. We wanted another black dog, but this time I had a basic grasp of breeding, looks etc. We chose Watson because he came out of a strong black line of pedigree dogs. Once again, he was home reared and was the first puppy to climb on me. He's never climbed off, mind :ymhug: He is always sitting on me :D Whereas with Rupert we saw him twice a week while he was growing and bonded with him very early on. With an 11 hour round trip, it was not feasible with Watson. We only saw him once before collecting him. I don't regret it though and he has turned out into another marvellous dog and compliments Rupert very well.

Don't limit yourself too much in your search area. There are some excellent breeders within 2/3 hours of Kent. Not too far for a companion for the next 15 years.

Good luck with your search and we look forward to welcoming you and the puppy on one of the many walks in the local area.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
TangoScarlet

Post by TangoScarlet »

Thanks again all - I now have a puppy (black, silver); that is KC registered from a breeder approx 3 miles away!

Poppy is gorgeous and after 6 weeks in a her new home is settling in v well
Maty

Post by Maty »

TangoScarlet wrote:Thanks again all - I now have a puppy (black, silver); that is KC registered from a breeder approx 3 miles away!

That is brilliant news :-bd

Please may we have photo's of Poppy?
Maty

TangoScarlet

Post by TangoScarlet »

I'd love to post a photo but I cant work out how to..!
Maty

Post by Maty »

TangoScarlet wrote:I'd love to post a photo but I cant work out how to..!
This should help ;)
http://www.schnauzer-forum.co.uk/viewto ... 52&t=11971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maty

TangoScarlet

Post by TangoScarlet »

Thanks for that - I shall find some time and post some pics shortly!
katjm
First Name: Kat

Post by katjm »

TangoScarlet wrote: 30 May 2013, 22:03 Thanks again all - I now have a puppy (black, silver); that is KC registered from a breeder approx 3 miles away!

Hi I tried to send you a private message to see where you bought your puppy near tun wells but I can’t seem to send you a private message, hopefully you’ll see this message. Thanks :)