The dreaded orange beard

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: The dreaded orange beard

Post by Dawnspell »

Cat M wrote::-B :-B how cool that you just happen to have pH papers. Loving the now geeky approach to the beard problem.
My money is on buttermilk being alkaline? :D
=)) Doesn't everyone ? =))
Maybe I should test yoghurt since its been mentioned about giving that as well :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Susan H
First Name: Susan
Dog #1: Dorothy
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Sep 2012

Post by Susan H »

I haven"t got any papers from school (my only certificate was for third prize with a daffodil bulb when I was about 7) but I know that egg white is alkaline, so perhaps we could slap some if that round their chops ..... All getting very technical... Sticking with bottle water as it works for us ;;)
Toby, Standard Poodle 1983 - 1999, Bertie, Cocker Spaniel 1999 - 2012, Dorothy BS Mini Schnauzer Sept 2012
Nika C
First Name: danika
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

I'm gonna leave this one well enough alone now

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
Parents of Roxy
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Roxy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 04 Nov 2008

Post by Parents of Roxy »

I read somewhere that ACV has an alkanizing effect once in the body which is why I took it to solve indigestion & acid reflux. It seemed to soothe really quickly for me when Rennies didn't work.
As it also feeds the friendly bacteria I was happy to give it to Roxy recently for her beard. I thought it might also help counteract the effects of her occasional fox poo snacks.
I do not understand why it works as it is acid. I have ph strips for my fish tanks in the house but I only used them for that in the early days before I became instinctive and only replaced the hardy fish that stayed around long enough to grow.
I tested Toby, my mini's, urine when he was being treated for bladder stones years ago to check his progress.
You never know when you might need ph strips in the house so, although out of date I have kept them around.
Sue
Schnauzer loving family to Roxy our standard born 4/11/08
and Toby our adorable p&s mini - now over the Rainbow Bridge - missed and never forgotten.
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

When schnapps was a puppy she quickly went orange in the beard. I never particularly bothered about it. When I got Darcie, she had almost an orange hue all over and I have noticed most of the puppy farm dogs have it. As soon as they start getting decent treatment in subsides leaving the beard. I know give filtered water and apple cider vinegar. Schnapps and Darcie have almost no staining and are quite white but Juno remains quite golden! In fact Darcie went whiter when she ruptured her cruciate ligament and has subsequently not been for a walk for four months. Make of that what you will!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
Parents of Roxy

Not going out means less dirt. Cleaner beard attracts less red yeast I am thinking.
Since I increased the ACV Roxy seems lighter. The only thing bothering me now is 'Will the ACV spoil her teeth?'
I don't want to swap one cosmetic problem with a much more serious one! Do any of the long term ACV users have good teeth?
If not I will have to stop and wash her more instead.
Sue
and Toby our adorable p&s mini - now over the Rainbow Bridge - missed and never forgotten.
Parents of Roxy

I know this thread is probably done with now. Just to update our progress. I have switched to putting ACV on Roxy's beard after washing to improve the ph of her beard only where the staining was. She is back on filtered tapwater to drink.
Will be interesting to see if this helps.

Sue
Susan H
First Name: Susan
Dog #1: Dorothy
Born: 13 Sep 2012

Post by Susan H »

As previous post this has probably been done to death BUT as per my previous posts late last year Dorothy had really never had a ginger beard but I did notice that it was going a tiny bit red before we went S France late last March when it went bright white within a few weeks which could have only been their soft water as no food had changed, and once back in UK in Oct I continued with bottled water all winter which has kept her beard lovely and white. Well, in the last 10 days or so she has been on Lilly's Kitchen food and I noticed this evening that her beard is so white it is positively glowing, it is so white it is not true. Obviously this may be a coincidence and that she was one if those that was not meant to have a red beard and has got whiter as she has matured as some do but I am so chuffed it's not true. I know it's only cosmetic and it's what's inside that counts health wise, but pleased to bits, and also it may change again with time. If she keeps still over the next few days I will try to post a picture, but she is a cow with pictures and does a runner whenever I point the iPad at her :)
Toby, Standard Poodle 1983 - 1999, Bertie, Cocker Spaniel 1999 - 2012, Dorothy BS Mini Schnauzer Sept 2012
numberslady8

Post by numberslady8 »

My classicly, perfectly colored, almost seven year old, salt & pepper, Maggie, has developed orange hair growing on her sides and top of her back. I think the color may be dye from Pedigree orange color Denatastix. Has anyone fed this product to their Schnauzer and seen a color change?
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

numberslady8 wrote:My classicly, perfectly colored, almost seven year old, salt & pepper, Maggie, has developed orange hair growing on her sides and top of her back. I think the color may be dye from Pedigree orange color Denatastix. Has anyone fed this product to their Schnauzer and seen a color change?
Hi and welcome :-h How about a post in the new member section to introduce yourself and Maggie better ;)

I banned Dentstix as Creggan used to take ages to eat them and half ended up in his beard making it all sticky, they were a rare treat anyway as I prefer more natural treats. Have you tried stopping them for a month to see if there is any difference to her coat?
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Nadja
Puppy
First Name: Nadja
Dog #1: Minnie
Born: 13 Feb 2014

Post by Nadja »

I got in trouble for adding a tiny bit of turmeric to Minnie's dinner, for her dad to notice her very yellow beard. It washed out ok but I can't give her a bath every mealtime, and I would still like to give her some. So instead of reading seven pages of posts, is there any true way that'll clear it up even when left for some time?
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Post by GaryThomlinson »

Penny eats Lilly's and has an orange beard and paws (which she licks a fair bit to keep clean) so I don't think Lilly's is a contribution to whiteness.

I might try her on bottled water?
Gary
Gina

Post by Gina »

Come to South Wales - we have soft water and (so far) Ioli's beard is bright white....apart from the days she dives into fox poo that is :)
Using Tapatalk
HollyS-M
First Name: Ian
Dog #1: Holly
Born: 03 Jun 2013
Dog #2: Booker
Born: 10 May 2014

Post by HollyS-M »

I tried using a Brita water jug and while the beard was less orange it didn't turn completely white and it didn't make a huge difference.

I've been trying Buttermilk powder but I noticed no difference and now I can't seem to get Holly to eat her food when it's got Buttermilk powder in it. If she does eat it she seems to have an upset stomach for the next day or two.

Her orange beard has returned with a vengeance and is worse than ever! Some days it's positively glowing orange. The only thing I can think is contributing to the latest orange hue is the new puppy constantly hanging off it!

I feel I'm out of options on the orange beard front!
Alpha
First Name: Philip
Dog #1: Alpha
Born: 11 Sep 2012

Post by Alpha »

We, too, have been struggling with the orange beard.

Someone mentioned trying olive oil with lemon - tried it, make no difference. I applied some coconut oil too. Other than making it look greasy and smell lovely, not sure anything else happened. We have tried different food (Orijen, Applaws, Fish4dogs), no difference. I think it must be something to do with the saliva as Alpha's only orange bits are where she can reach with her tongue around the mouth, and the paws. We tried yoghurt too - no luck.

Will try bottled water as a last resort - if that doesn't work, then I will just have to accept it. She isn't bothered about it after all!