Running away from harness

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Donna 9
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Flynn
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 19 Sep 2011
Dog #2: Max
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Nov 2012

Re: Running away from harness

Post by Donna 9 »

Thanks folks, I'm glad I'm not alone at least!

It's not an over the head one, Max has never had one of those. Frustrating little fellow!
bilbo
Puppy
First Name: philip
Dog #1: bilbo
Born: 20 Mar 2013

Post by bilbo »

Bilbo does the same thing with his collar and his harness. his harness isn't an over the head one, it fits around his front legs (step into) and clips behind his back. he will run and jump up on a chair and sit there. once his harness and lead are on he is raring to go and cant wait to get out the door.
Bilbo (Toniks time for you)
wingsandstrings
Puppy
First Name: Barb
Dog #1: Buttons
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2013

Post by wingsandstrings »

I usually have Buttons get up on the chair (recliner) for sweater or leash or whatever hookups are needed before going out the door. She's easier to reach, and more contained so she can't run off as readily. She really dislikes the halter (over the nose loop) but she does fine with the body harness except she pulls a lot more. The halter really helps us have more relaxed walks in public. Of course the body harness is for car ride security so she gets that more often.
Barb
Bidele
First Name: Adele
Dog #1: Dexter
Born: 24 Jul 2012

Post by Bidele »

Dexter does the exact same thing you are all describing, the running away abd then the crab crawl if you touch his back but then walks about as if he's a bull mastiff when out. Lol
Dexter...... love him so so much, hes a mummys boy... lol :)
LouiseH
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Kili
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 11 Feb 2012

Post by LouiseH »

Kili only has one for car journeys and he usually backs away from it with his ears flat, although recently he's decided he's so keen on the car (which usually takes him somewhere particularly nice) that he perks up at the sight of the harness and backs away at the same time! I think it's definitely the over the head thing with him. I ignore it!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I thought I would resurrect this thread. Otto now wears a harness for walks. He used to wear it just when going in the car, he loves the car so much he used to welcome the harness because he knew what that meant. Now he wears it all the time we have to go through the motions of him hiding under the dining table and being coaxed out with a treat when we go for a walk. My previous schnauzer used to do the crab walk when he had his harness on and looked like there was a slab of concrete on his back and if ever he moved whilst I hadn't properly put it on and then was a bit dangling down by his side, goodness, he looked like someone was stabbing him with a knife in his side. It isn't a over the head harness it fits nicely as far as I can see. The clips are quite loud though but that didn't bother him when we were going in the car. Has anyone found a way of getting a schnauzer to welcome a harness or am I being silly? I am going to have to corner him in another room where he can't hide if I can't fix this. By the way, for his before bedtime wee wee he happily goes to the door because he doesn't have his harness on for that.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

It may not just be the harness, as I remember with our first minis going through this stage of them running away to hide when we were getting them ready for a walk and, at that time, we were not using harnesses. I could never understand why their breeder said you had to be careful not to say the word "walk" as her minis would become hyper excited and run to the door...while ours ran to hide under the table! They all loved their walks once they got outside the door so we never worked out what the issue was. It was just a question of trying to catch them to put on their collars and leads before they realised what was happening.

However, some dogs do seem to hate anything - harness, jacket etc. - on their bodies so it may be the feel of the harness in certain cases. You could try offering Otto a treat as soon as the harness is fitted on him so he associates wearing it with getting a reward. Maybe do a training type session where you get him to sit for a treat (click/treat if you are using a clicker) and then once he is automatically sitting for you on command, move on to 'sit and have the harness put on' (click /treat). If you don't use a clicker, you can just praise and treat. Just a thought as, I must admit, with our reluctant minis in the past we did tend to just try to catch them out before they hid :))
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

That's funny Leigh, Oscar sometimes runs away when it's walk time and I have to chase him around the lounge just to put his collar on. He obviously loves his walks but maybe I will drop the word "walk" and also get him to sit, so I can put the collar on him.

He also hates wearing any sort of jacket/coat etc :(

Sasha on the other hand is such a good girl, sits there patiently waiting for her collar and any other item of clothing you want to put on her :)
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Brilliant. =)) Goodness, they are funny little things aren't they. I am going to stop saying it's time for a walk I think and shove the harness up my jumper where he can't see it and just walk up to him so that before he knows it he is half harnessed. ;) Interestingly Mike, I don't have a problem with his collar, I say here's Otto's collar and he just stands there to accept it. Otto has not had to wear a coat yet... that is going to be an absolute palaver I imagine. :))
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I did read somewhere about some dogs not liking the harness as it feels to them as though they have to be submissive. When a dog wants to show who's boss one of the body language signs is to put their heads on top of the shoulders of the other dog. The feel of the harness is a bit like this.

I don't know how much truth there is to it but Barney is most definately not submissive which would explain his cowering when he has harness on to try and escape. He's fine walking just doesn't like you touching the harness when he has it on
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
paintinglady
First Name: irene

Post by paintinglady »

my dog does this as well funny thing is when we come home he will not let me take it off good to know it is not just my dog .