Gizzy had a stroke 2 days ago.

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Gizmos mum
Puppy
First Name: Louise

Gizzy had a stroke 2 days ago.

Post by Gizmos mum »

Gizmo our beautiful little boy wouldn’t get up on Wednesday morning. When he did get up he just collapsed.
We took him to the Vet who gave him a lumber puncture as he wanted to rule out a few things like Meningitis. He also thought there might have been a tumor? Anyhow when we got Giz home on the evening he was very poorly. We didn’t think he would last the night but he is a big brighter now. It has affected his front left and right rear legs. He is very confused but is now managing to go out to the toilet and is eating and lapping water.
Anyone had a Schnauzer with a stroke???? Any advice?????? I want to post a pic but not sure how to as I am new to this forum.

Louise.
Last edited by Gizmos mum on 09 Jul 2015, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
oscarsmate
First Name: stuart
Dog #1: oscar
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2008

Re: Gizzy had a stroke 2 days ago.

Post by oscarsmate »

so sorry to hear of Gizmo's problems. I can't provide practical help but hope things get better soon.
Oscar 28/12/2008 - 27/8/2019 taken too soon, truly loved and sorely missed. He was a
n annoying git but he was our git :D
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

How old is Gizmo and has the vet definitely diagnosed a stroke? It is usual if a stroke is suspected with a dog an MRI or CT scan to be needed to find out what has happened in his brain.

This link lists some of the symptoms of stroke in a dog but, as it says, you would need investigation by a vet to make a certain diagnosis:

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Can ... d_a_Stroke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Years ago we had a mini schnauzer who suffered sudden paralysis of her rear legs upon waking in the morning, by the time we had arrived at the vets she had lost the use of her front legs also and ended up being kept in the hospital on a drip for several days. In her case she was slow to recover the ability to eat and drink and could not stand for longer than a few seconds. We were advised that she might get better but (as they could not diagnose exactly what had happened or why) they believed part of her brain controlling movement had been damaged somehow and that she either would not survive or would have to establish new pathways from her brain to allow her to walk again. We took her home and for months encouraged her to stand for longer and longer periods, and to walk.....a long story but she did recover movement and lived several more years before having an actual stroke. The stroke caused total paralysis - she was conscious but could not even hold her head up and after 48 hours it was clear she was not going to recover ( she was 13 years old ).

Sudden paralysis of the legs can be due to a number of causes from disc problems in the spine, neurological conditions and certain infections. I would try to see if more tests can be done to establish for certain if the cause is a stroke unless you have had these done already. Until you are certain of the cause it can be difficult to know how to help your Gizmo get better.

Sending hugs - I know how traumatic this kind of situation can be. Take care :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Wookie Woo
First Name: Helen
Dog #1: Wookie
Born: 01 Sep 2009

Post by Wookie Woo »

Oh no poor gizmo and poor you, no advice to give but sending you all big hugs :ymhug: and get well wishes xx
Helen & Gary - owners of "Wookie" (since 11.6.2011)  born 1.9.2009 (Mini Schnauzer)
Previously owned Lucy our lovely cocker spaniel.
http://www.happydogwalksandpetcare.co.uk/
Gina

Post by Gina »

My Mums dog lost the use of her back legs and the vet wanted to send her for an mri - I asked for a second opinion and long story short, she had damaged her spine scrabbling at the patio windows trying to get at the squirrels. It took time but eventually she was galloping around again and had several more years before it came back to haunt her. Eventually we had to let her go as we would have been keeping her alive for our sakes and not hers - but she got to a ripe old age and enjoyed a good quality of life virtually up to the end.

Think hard about the last few weeks - has he jumped and landed awkwardly? Been off chasing and you haven't been able to see him? He may well have had a stroke but please do consider any physical activity that could have caused nerve/disc damage around the spine.

Hope he continues to improve for you x
Using Tapatalk
Gizmos mum
Puppy

Post by Gizmos mum »

Yes he had all the tests done. The Vet got back to us this morning early and confirmed it is a stroke and nothing else.
He told us not to get a scan done as it would just confirm what we already know. Gizmo is about 7 yrs old. We don’t know his exact age as he was found dying in the middle of a road in a blizzard about 6 yrs ago. So we cannot say his age for sure. Our Vet is brilliant and we trust his judgement. But we already know it was a stroke before he went to the Vet. He had all the signs - so it was not an unexpected diagnosis. We are hoping that he will pull through over the next few days. If he gets a bit stronger and the breathing gets better we are thinking of hydrotherapy to help him with his legs. We are very upset. We love him to bits. As for spinal issues that was why the Vet did the lumber puncture Giz has had spinal problems before. He had Fibrocartilaginous Embolism (FCE) when he was younger and we know it isn;t a reacurance of that.

Louise
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Poor Gizmo & poor you :(

I hope he continues to improve, big hugs to you all :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Donna 9
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Flynn
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 19 Sep 2011
Dog #2: Max
Born: 25 Nov 2012

Post by Donna 9 »

How scary. Sending best wishes..
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Post by Morgana99 »

Sorry I can't help with any advice, but dogs are so amazingly resilient & Schnauzers have such big characters, I really hope he pulls through. Hydrotherapy sounds a good idea. We also got some physio, deep massage and acupuncture to help Duke when it was suspected he had a back issue. You may find something along these lines could help once Gizmo stabilises a bit. We got this treatment with the vet's recommendation, so it was covered by insurance :) sending healing vibes :ymhug:
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Sorry to hear about Gizmo I hope he picks up I had a 12 yr old Airedale that had a stroke we had her out for a walk and she was standing in a field and keeled over like a cardboard cut out in the wind. We rushed her to the vet and he said there was nothing to be done by that time she was standing and breathing but apparently blind and deaf. She lived for 2 more years like that she could walk but very slowly and only on a lead it gave her confidence because she couldn't see.
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Very sorry to read this, I hope he improves with time
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Post by GaryThomlinson »

So sorry to hear this, it's gutting. My father had a stroke a few years ago, you'd hardly know now as he back to 99%. I hope the same goes for Giz in time!
Gary
Gizmos mum
Puppy

Post by Gizmos mum »

Giz has been a deal better today. He is still very unsteady on his feet. He has a little wobble and walks sideways. Sometimes he completely forgets what he was doing. There is a strange look on his little face like he has completely lost the plot, so we go pick him up and rescue him. He has spent a deal of the day on the sofa cuddled up to his rabbit - but positively he got himself off of the sofa and waddled out to the yard to the toilet and then stayed out and watched me in the garden. He is so clingy to his dad and wont be without him. He is stronger and the breathing is less labored and more normal. The fellow who does the Hydrotherapy got back to us. He said he would phone our Vet to make sure that the Vet gives Giz the all clear to go into the water. So our vet will be involved with his therapy. I liked the fact that they don’t just take Giz but are working alongside the vet to ensure that Giz is well enough for the treatment before it starts. That shows folk really care about our dog and are not just in it for the money they can make from it. So th fellow will contact our Vet next week and then hopefully Giz will be strong enough to start. I am looking forward to getting going on this as his front leg is just hanging and it will be good to encourage him to be using it. I have been holding him up on the back so he puts the two front paws on the ground together - He has to keep using it if we don't want to lose it! We’ve also been ensuring that when he is laying down his head is higher than his body. This gives him the bast position for oxygen to the brain. Giz usually likes to lay down and flop his head over the side of his basket or the sofa so it is taking him a deal to get used to lying with his head up. Usually he has been to tired to complain though. We are just so glad that he is responding and starting to improve. We are seeing more of our little man emerging. Sorry I have not put pics up but I am new and can’t understand how to just yet. Also I think my computer needs updates to be able to. I will have to get DH (Dear hubby) to sort that for me. :o3
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

How is Gizmo today???
Gizmos mum
Puppy

Post by Gizmos mum »

I have finally managed to figure out posting a pic of my boy.
Here is Gizzy Scruff Muppett after his stroke.

I hope this works?
Giz is doing a deal better. Though he wants to lay down a lot a cuddle his rabbit. He has a lot of weakness to the front left and the face is affected. He finds it hard to lap so we were syringing water for a few days but it is comming back now. He is on wet food as he finds eating hard too at the moment but on the whole it is looking very much more possitive.

Thanks for all the concern and good thoughts for the wee man.

Louise x