Can I strip my clippered Mini

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
MiniPoppet
First Name: Jane

Can I strip my clippered Mini

Post by MiniPoppet »

Hi. I'm brand new to the forum ....thank you for allowing me to join! I have recently taken on a friends 3 year old B/S Mini and really loving being a mummy to my new baby boy. He was hand stripped for the first year or so of his life and then clipped so his fur is soft. I'd really like to try and bring his coat back but have had some people tell me that now he's been clipped, his coat is ruined, while someone else has told me that it can be done because they've done it, but it will take months.

Can I get some experienced thoughts on this subject please, as he's an excellent pedigree and would look amazing with a stripped coat. Oh...I have had a Schnauzer before, but not for seven years, and I stripped her!

Many thanks in advance :-\
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Can I strip my clippered Mini

Post by Robin black mini »

You will need to be patient ,but it is doable..
I'd let the coat regrow back..the dog will not look it's best,but keep up with his brushing and start at once ,carding the undercoat out.
Once you see the top coat beginning to self shed,i.e. It is old coat,you should start stripping the dog..this matuation of the top coat,the future wire,will take a good few months..from 3 or more,depending on the dog..think of this as a year long project,but worth it for the years ahead..
Keep the undercoat under control and pluck a few hairs every so often to see if the coat is ready to be stripped.
If you have pics of him when he was stripped you will have an idea if he has a good wire or not...this will help you have perspective on his future potential coat. Good luck.

http://www.mrterrier.com/blogs/begin-hand-stripping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MiniPoppet
First Name: Jane

Post by MiniPoppet »

Thank you so much for that very informative reply, I feel very encouraged by that and eager to start the re-growth from now. Very much appreciate that ^:)^ :-bd
Robin black mini

Hey Jane...did you do it?
How is the regrow and stripping going?

Ive recently changed my knives from Mars to df knives and am getting a completely different strip ( better but much faster effect) ...I have to be careful not to make holes in the coat,these knives are so efficient..

Do update on your progress won't you?
doughboy
Puppy
First Name: Dough

Post by doughboy »

Ok, sorry for asking what might be a daft question and one that has been answered countless times. But....Hugo is nearly two and has only ever been clipped. When he was around 6 months old, I'd asked the groomer if it was possible to have him stripped instead and she replied that it was too late. I just assumed she was correct and had him clipped ever since. If it is possible, I'd like to try it.
Robin black mini

HI dough..do you have a name I can use?
I remember your pup and your adventure to introduce him into your garage life with the cars ,so he was part of the gang,.lovely pup and I hope all went went with his growing up...
As above..yes you most certainly can strip coat..follow the advise I gave above to get you started..if you are serious,you will do this at home..most groomer strips are done every few months and it's a completely different regime..
If you want to home groom your boy,buy a coarse and a fine stripping knife ( Mars knives are good)and a pair of good scissors ( I like roseline)for his trimmings..in time you will also need some clippers for his butt,ears ,cheeks and underpads..I like arco moser cordless...then,can begin your stripping/grooming in earnest.
I strip every week,bath the next day and trim the furnishings..doesn't take a lot of time and the dog always is in presentable coat.
doughboy
Puppy
First Name: Dough

Post by doughboy »

Robin black mini wrote:HI dough..do you have a name I can use?
I remember your pup and your adventure to introduce him into your garage life with the cars ,so he was part of the gang,.lovely pup and I hope all went went with his growing up...
As above..yes you most certainly can strip coat..follow the advise I gave above to get you started..if you are serious,you will do this at home..most groomer strips are done every few months and it's a completely different regime..
If you want to home groom your boy,buy a coarse and a fine stripping knife ( Mars knives are good)and a pair of good scissors ( I like roseline)for his trimmings..in time you will also need some clippers for his butt,ears ,cheeks and underpads..I like arco moser cordless...then,can begin your stripping/grooming in earnest.
I strip every week,bath the next day and trim the furnishings..doesn't take a lot of time and the dog always is in presentable coat.
Hi Robin - yes of course, my name is Coop.

Hugo was a joy to have as a pup and his integration into our household has been pretty seamless, which is why we are seriously thinking about introducing another dog into our lives. Have looked at other breeds but I know we will end up with another mini.

Many thanks for your advice on home grooming, I will have my wife look into this in more detail and she may contact you for further guidance. Your help is truly appreciated!
Robin black mini

Re:stripping a clipped dog

Hi Coop..
As you've guessed I love grooming. :) .all breeds I find fascinating ,but the wires in particular are like living sculpture to me ..an art form.
By all means ask as many questions as you need.I prefer to answer on the board..grooming section is best ,so all newbies to grooming can join in and progress to having a dog they are proud of for its lifetime.
A few have e mailed me re grooming advise and I'm happy to answer,but better for all if it's kept on board. Thanks.
the groom I do for Robin,is for a pet dog..some areas I do shave,i.e. The ears,front neck,underpads and butt. I feel it's better tolerated for the dog..but the wire coat and sides still keeps the integrity of the coat.