Introducing Mabel

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
rowan16
Puppy
First Name: Trina
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Mabel
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 21 Jul 2017

Introducing Mabel

Post by rowan16 »

Morning.... so yesterday we went and viewed puppies and are excited to introduce Mabel who we will be collecting and bringing home next weekend when she will be 8 weeks old.

We already have Ozzy, who will be 7 at christmas, any hints/tips for introducing a new pup?

Feeling excited but don't want to upset my beloved Ozz
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Introducing Mabel

Post by zeta1454 »

Mabel looks very sweet :x

It is rare for a resident dog to be hostile to a puppy even if they have been a sole dog for several years. If Ozzie is not going to meet Mabel before she comes home, just make sure they are closely supervised initially. Years ago we introduced a new puppy of a different breed to our home (although we did have three mini schnauzers at the time). The puppy bonded very well with the youngest of our minis who was a seven year old male and they became the best of friends from day one. The puppy was also male and our mini was an entire male.

Try to keep Ozzie's routine as close as possible to his usual one and, initially you will need to have a much tighter control over Mabel's daily activity anyway - plenty of rest periods, short play sessions, in a playpen or crate when you are not actively engaged with her, regular toilet breaks in the garden and, when she is able to go for walks you will need to walk her separately until she is confident and controlled on lead.

Do allow Ozzie and Mabel to interact as much as both are comfortable with as you do want them to be best pals but always make sure that Ozzie has somewhere he can get away from Mabel if he needs to - on a sofa or chair, in a crate...anywhere that Mabel cannot disturb him. Also be sure to see that Mabel too has places to go if she is feeling overwhelmed- under a chair, in her crate etc. and just monitor their behaviour together to make sure they are both relaxed with each other. Dogs are naturally social animals and it is rare for two mini schnauzers living together not to very soon become the closest of friends :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

oh Mabel you are a beauty..
Couldn't agree more with above...just include her with your routine and separate for safety when you can't supervise or if you feel she's overwhelmed..we had a playpen which was set up for a couple of weeks,but we hardly ever used it..my boy was very gentle and respectful of Robin and she was a very alpha pup so soon had life on her terms. We never left them alone so do heed this.
Posted in your other post how we inserted our girl with my existing male.. The main thing is to relax,don't overthink it and enjoy this wonderful addition...mabel is a complete doll!
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

rowan16 wrote:Image

Morning.... so yesterday we went and viewed puppies and are excited to introduce Mabel who we will be collecting and bringing home next weekend when she will be 8 weeks old.

We already have Ozzy, who will be 7 at christmas, any hints/tips for introducing a new pup?

Feeling excited but don't want to upset my beloved Ozz
What a lovely wee girl. She looks a bit like my new girl Milla. I'm sure in time Mabel and Ozzy will get on perfectly,
Suzie36
Puppy
First Name: Tracey
Dog #1: Suzie
Born: 07 Jun 2013
Dog #2: Dexter
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by Suzie36 »

Your first picture together x
Tracey, Suzie and Dexter
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Susie.... can I ask,are you the breeder of this pup?
rowan16
Puppy

Post by rowan16 »

Suzie36 wrote:Your first picture together x
the first of many I'm sure
rowan16
Puppy

Post by rowan16 »

So we have Mabel's crate set up and Ozzy has been in and out investigating.
We have bought some new toys which Ozzy seems to be enjoying. He is presently snuggled up with the Kong Teddy.
The dap diffuser is plugged in.
I've got a travelling bag organised for picking up Mabel.... wipes, heat pad (hopefully can warm up at the breeders before the journey home), cage, blanket (plus will have a blanket from breeder), water dish, roll of kitchen roll, poop bags, snuggly toy.

ID tag ordered online, food will be picked up from breeder and we intend to keep her on it until she transfer to adult food.

Have reorganised our weekend so we are both home all weekend so that Ozzy can have some 1:1 time, and of course he can escape up onto the sofa :)

Thanks for all the advice so far.