My wee girl Milla.

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Re: My wee girl Milla.

Post by Bodee » 29 Dec 2017, 16:49

Well Milla is 6 months old now and I thought I should post some photos of her progress. She is hitting the scales at 7.8KG and is now on two meals a day.
Her walking on the lead is not quite perfect and she has only been allowed off the lead when I meet a friend and his/her dog in the park - I don't trust her to come back if she is distracted while on her own yet.

The grooming is going ok - by that I mean the carding is fine and she stands and lets me dry her off with the blow drier and lets me clip the "for clipping" areas. I have also pulled the hair out of her ears a few times BUT the coat hair is still reluctant to come out so far. I will be having another "go" at the weekend.

Anyway baby steps as they say.
Merry Christmas to all and a Happy Schnauzer New Year when it comes.

mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 » 29 Dec 2017, 19:30

Beautiful pictures again - pleased to hear a progress report :)

Happy Schnauzer New Year to you too ;)

jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: Elle welsh terrier
Born: 28 May 2006

Post by jacdales » 30 Dec 2017, 10:46

she is lovely the photos are great I love the last one

Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini » 30 Dec 2017, 12:53

Lovely photos..
Re her coat..her coat should be stripping well by now..id definitely take her to a pro groomer for a first strip to set her pattern and for you to learn how to use the stripping knife..plucking and carding won't get the -all the puppy coat out and with your pattern set you should be able to continue to keep her rolling going.
On a previous post you said you may clip her...what a pity if you do ,as she really has a lovely deep black coat that merits stripping.
This is one hurdle to jump...I bet if you do that, for the next decade you will be glad you did when you revel in her shiney ,black ,waterproof wire..!

schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer » 31 Dec 2017, 12:07

Hi Boyd
Love the photos of Milla a gorgeous girl who will give you so much pleasure I was sorry to read that you lost Max & like myself you needed another Schnauzer in your life. I lost my Suzi in April this year & I was devastated, I posted in Rainbow Bridge section when she went over.
Life wasn't worth living without but a gorgeous wee boy came to us on 4th July & he is easing the huge gap. He is good & so affectionate he loves me to bits.

Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl

https://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/wetnosesociety/170717UIcTK

Bodee

Post by Bodee » 01 Jan 2018, 12:27

schnauzer wrote:Hi Boyd
Love the photos of Milla a gorgeous girl who will give you so much pleasure I was sorry to read that you lost Max & like myself you needed another Schnauzer in your life. I lost my Suzi in April this year & I was devastated, I posted in Rainbow Bridge section when she went over.
Life wasn't worth living without but a gorgeous wee boy came to us on 4th July & he is easing the huge gap. He is good & so affectionate he loves me to bits.

He looks a handsome wee chap. All the best to you and wishing you great times together in the coming years.

Bodee

Post by Bodee » 03 Jan 2018, 17:00

Robin black mini wrote:Lovely photos..
Re her coat..her coat should be stripping well by now..id definitely take her to a pro groomer for a first strip to set her pattern and for you to learn how to use the stripping knife..plucking and carding won't get the -all the puppy coat out and with your pattern set you should be able to continue to keep her rolling going.
On a previous post you said you may clip her...what a pity if you do ,as she really has a lovely deep black coat that merits stripping.
This is one hurdle to jump...I bet if you do that, for the next decade you will be glad you did when you revel in her shiney ,black ,waterproof wire..!

Well Jo, I know you said take her to a groomer but the lady who bred the puppies is a qualified groomer but lives too far away and the only groomer I trust around this area apart from her is the one who clipped Max for 15 years but she doesn't hand strip.

So to-day I made a start myself. I have the Ewa DVD you recommended and have watched it a few times as well as the nice lady on youtube who groomed Smeigle.

I started off with the Aesculap coarse knife but after a while I was not convinced it was blunt enough to do the job so I went to the rubber thimbles, which I found personally easier. After about 2 hours I had covered most of her back and half way down her sides and also did some removal at the top of her legs. At this point my thumb and forefinger was almost numb :)

I ended with a large heap of hair and most of the hair on her back about 15-20mm long - the rest varied. I know what I am working towards and I also know I won't do it in 3x 2 hr sessions never mind one but I have the patience and realise I started after letting it get way too far ahead of me.

Three things cropped up. Firstly there was what appeared to be dandruff around her head and neck area but was I suspect soap which I had not fully washed away (this happened when using the knife) I was a bit frugal with the rinsing of her head as she had just recovered from successful ear infection treatment.
I just blew it away at the end with my doggy hair drier on low setting and it disappeared.
Secondly Milla is going to be a dream to groom as she is happy to be moved, sat down, stood up and lain on her side. All this at 6 months, I think I am pretty lucky. Lastly is it normal for the hair on the top of her head to be more stubborn - because it was so I left it and will try again later. She has a bit of a mullet going on :)

Anyway, what's all this without a photo I hear you say. So here it is. Be patient though as I don't think she will look properly stripped until at least another 2 sessions and this was after a 1 hour play in the garden. hence the grass round her beard etc as she likes to dig.

Robin black mini

Post by Robin black mini » 04 Jan 2018, 06:25

Hi bodee...I'm glad you've started ,and if your up for some advice I'd say......
Return to using the knife,it will get the job done faster and be much kinder for your fingers..this video shows a blown coat..similar to Milla...you have a job on your hands but the coat should pull easily and you will get a lot off..she sounds a good girl and the groom will be a pleasure for her....
If you really can't get the hair out using the knife,I bet that max groomer will show you how to hold/ use the knife...she may not want to do a strip as its not cost productive for her,but she will know the technique as it was part of her training in grooming school..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWkX_sI1Los" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blown coat..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SRrlM3j-T1E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On your pic you are getting an uneven surface because you need to move along the dog consistently,don't move from area to area...one area at a time eg spine ...the dog should be carded first...then stripped..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpUBVU4UxLw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here are two more videos on how to hold the knife..I think you are cutting coat,perhaps because you are not holding the knife correctly ...maybe too angled?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhC0fECA8WM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re head I clip head and ears using a 2mm setting on my Arcos.

Re the EWa video..I didn't recommend this,never heard of it...I like the Kate werk grooming videos...but I did google the former and got a polish link to sculpting abdominal muscles on a very hot lady....lol...maybe it will inspire me in my New Years get fit resolutions .. :)

Bodee

Post by Bodee » 04 Jan 2018, 11:11

Robin black mini wrote:Hi bodee...I'm glad you've started ,and if your up for some advice I'd say......
Return to using the knife,it will get the job done faster and be much kinder for your fingers..this video shows a blown coat..similar to Milla...you have a job on your hands but the coat should pull easily and you will get a lot off..she sounds a good girl and the groom will be a pleasure for her....
If you really can't get the hair out using the knife,I bet that max groomer will show you how to hold/ use the knife...she may not want to do a strip as its not cost productive for her,but she will know the technique as it was part of her training in grooming school..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWkX_sI1Los" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blown coat..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SRrlM3j-T1E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On your pic you are getting an uneven surface because you need to move along the dog consistently,don't move from area to area...one area at a time eg spine ...the dog should be carded first...then stripped..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpUBVU4UxLw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here are two more videos on how to hold the knife..I think you are cutting coat,perhaps because you are not holding the knife correctly ...maybe too angled?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhC0fECA8WM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re head I clip head and ears using a 2mm setting on my Arcos.

Hi Jo, thanks for the tips and the videos.

The only thing I would say is Milla's coat maybe "blown" but it does not come out anything like as easy as that "blown coat" video. In my defence I think that is why I have waited this long.
On the angle of the knife I think I was holding it actually too upright.
On the video below she says she has got the knife almost "flat" to the coat surface (at 11.50 on video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dN93mPero8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway there is no time limit and I know I will get it right.

Robin black mini

Post by Robin black mini » 04 Jan 2018, 12:02

Jo, thanks for the tips and the videos.

The only thing I would say is Milla's coat maybe "blown" but it does not come out anything like as easy as that "blown coat" video. In my defence I think that is why I have waited this long...

Hi bodee
Please don't feel you are being judged or criticized ..I have only tried to help you get started re technique.
..if you don't agree with what ive written , ,all fine and good...perhaps someone else will be happy to assist here..?
Please don't feel the need to be defensive.. :ymhug:
SImply put,your technique is wrong,you need an experienced groomer ( in person)to give to some practical skills..At six months,you should be getting the coat out ,and given the photo ( after two hours of work)it can only be due to incorrect technique...if you spend two hours finger pulling and the dog is still not stripped out it is best you get a person to give you a lesson in the flesh..not online ,as it's clearly not working out for you..Done correctly,stripping is a relaxing and a bonding process..no big deal.
I repeat, your pup has a good coat and will strip well...just get one lesson from your groomer and you will be on your way.

Ps The knife is held flat or horizontal if you are carding the coat..

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 04 Jan 2018, 13:17

I absolutely agree with Jo that the best way to start hand stripping is to have at least one session of tutoring from a professional groomer who is experienced in hand stripping a miniature schnauzer (this is different from other dogs who may be hand stripped but whose coat grows differently e.g. A border terrier). It will pay off in the long run to travel either to your girl's breeder or to a groomer who is experienced in the breed. It can make such a difference to be able to watch and ask questions directly in person.

There are lists of groomers on the following links from two of the UK schnauzer breed clubs:

http://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/findagroomer.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theminiatureschnauzerclub.co ... /groomers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

Bodee

Post by Bodee » 05 Jan 2018, 16:13

Robin black mini wrote:Jo, thanks for the tips and the videos.

The only thing I would say is Milla's coat maybe "blown" but it does not come out anything like as easy as that "blown coat" video. In my defence I think that is why I have waited this long...

Hi bodee
Please don't feel you are being judged or criticized ..I have only tried to help you get started re technique.
..if you don't agree with what ive written , ,all fine and good...perhaps someone else will be happy to assist here..?
Please don't feel the need to be defensive.. :ymhug:
SImply put,your technique is wrong,you need an experienced groomer ( in person)to give to some practical skills..At six months,you should be getting the coat out ,and given the photo ( after two hours of work)it can only be due to incorrect technique...if you spend two hours finger pulling and the dog is still not stripped out it is best you get a person to give you a lesson in the flesh..not online ,as it's clearly not working out for you..Done correctly,stripping is a relaxing and a bonding process..no big deal.
I repeat, your pup has a good coat and will strip well...just get one lesson from your groomer and you will be on your way.

Ps The knife is held flat or horizontal if you are carding the coat..

Hi Jo, I didn't think any such thing. Your advice has been very useful and helpful. We are all friends here after all.

As you may have gathered I am a wee bit stubborn, I am also 72 years old and suffer from polio, maybe my grip is not what it used to be, that might be why I am not as quick as say a younger person. I always think that if I work hard enough at something I will eventually be successful though.

I went back to the knife and spent an hour on Milla's back left leg with more success. As you can tell, I don't see this as a sprint, more of a marathon, I am retired now and have plenty of time on my hands. :) Milla will get the benefit in the end.

Your comment about Ewa made me laugh, it must have been someone else who recommended her video. I assure you she also "doubles" as a dog trainer, dog behaviour counsellor and miniature schnauzer breeder and groomer. Here is her bio and the trailer for her video.

http://withewa.com/about-ewa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oErSNbUYdsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said I am using the knife now and getting more efficient. The photo below is from one leg and some off the top of her head (which as I said is a bit more stubborn (like me :)

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 05 Jan 2018, 16:39

Wow Boyd, great going. I am starting to believe that as long as you have the right tools, hold them properly and understand the pattern you are trying to achieve,it is all about technique and above all confidence. I am waiting for my coarse stripping knife and decided to have another go with the fine one particularly around shaping the leg area where thigh meets fringe. I couldn't believe it. I have actually removed quite a bit of hair. I then had a go around the head and I removed quite a bit of hair also and he didn't mind at all. It's quite motivating. Little and often for me at the moment. I have also ordered one of those stone thingies that Jo was talking about. I was wondering what to do with the wispy hairs that are left around the coat and I am hoping that a quick brush through with that will give a finer finish.

Keep up the good work
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......

Bodee

Post by Bodee » 05 Jan 2018, 17:10

Oscar 12345 wrote:Wow Boyd, great going. I am starting to believe that as long as you have the right tools, hold them properly and understand the pattern you are trying to achieve,it is all about technique and above all confidence. I am waiting for my coarse stripping knife and decided to have another go with the fine one particularly around shaping the leg area where thigh meets fringe. I couldn't believe it. I have actually removed quite a bit of hair. I then had a go around the head and I removed quite a bit of hair also and he didn't mind at all. It's quite motivating. Little and often for me at the moment. I have also ordered one of those stone thingies that Jo was talking about. I was wondering what to do with the wispy hairs that are left around the coat and I am hoping that a quick brush through with that will give a finer finish.

Keep up the good work
I totally agree Julie it is motivating and it's like starting a new job as well for me. It's a challenge and you get to learn from experience and even your mistakes and difficulties. I actually look forward to my next session, especially as we are getting so much rain up here in Fife just now.
It's also good to have forum members on this site who have gone through what we are going through to consult for advice.
It will be nice to keep in contact to hear how you are getting on.

Robin black mini

Post by Robin black mini » 06 Jan 2018, 12:36

BOyd...please accept a really sincere hug from me..yes ,I do believe we are becoming virtual friends..and I'm really ,really pleased you are getting better results with your stripping and yes you will get there in the end....as you say,it's not a race or a competition and when all is said and done is supposed to be a pleasure to do ,with your dogs best interest in mind.
Sometimes I just post to get the info down but don't always consider the way it comes across...I speak Italian here 90 per cent of my day,despite being English,so if I "boom boom "my directions in English,forgive me if I come across as too harsh.
If you need any help please just ask and I will " be gentle with you" ...lol...not likely,but you know I mean well. :)
And to cheer you up more EWa dvd..
https://www.amazon.it/Ewa-Chodakowska-R ... B01I9GNPUI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Julie..it took three weeks for my dk knives to arrive...in the end I telephoned them and the order was sent the next day..they are busy people ,so may need a prod.