Right weight

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
monikaarmonika
First Name: Monika

Right weight

Post by monikaarmonika »

Our baby boy Halkas is 3 months old now. :) I have question about puppy's weight.
What weight is right on this age?
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: Right weight

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Halkas looks so similar to my B&S mini, Sasha :)

I have been keeping track of her weight and at 12 weeks old she was 3kg and by 16 weeks she was 4.9kg, she is now 5 months old (born 23rd Sept) and is 6kg.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Monika

Your photo brings back memories of my little boy. I think around 3kg at 3 months sounds just right but minis can be different. You go through a phase of thinking "is he putting on too much weight too quickly, is he too skinny, just remember he is going to grow incredibly over the next few months. I remember one day thinking is he too podgy and the next day thinking where did those legs come from he looks a bit skinny. Otto put on 1kg per month so at 8 months he is about 8kg and a nice shape. He is building muscle now and on adult portions rather than puppy.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Gino weighs 7.4 and he will be 10 months on 9th March
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Rosie is just about 8 months now and weighs 6.8 kg. He looks adorable by the way :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Milla will be 8 months on the 11th March and she is just over 8kg. I think she may be quite big for a female miniature but she is certainly not overweight. I think she is "heavy boned" as they say.

mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Lovely picture and the last couple of pics I have seen of Milla, she looks very regal ;)
AnnieMoon
First Name: Annie
Dog #1: Harriet
Born: 05 Oct 2017

Post by AnnieMoon »

Harriet when she was 3 months old was about 3.2kg, now at 5 months she weighs 4.8kg, I don't know if it is her right weight, but she doesn't seem fat or skinny and the owner of the natural food store where we buy her food always says she seems in her weight.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Suzi is just 9 months and is 7.5kg she looks about the right weight maybe a bit of filling out to do
schnauzer

Post by schnauzer »

schnauzer wrote:Gino weighs 7.4 and he will be 10 months on 9th March

A month on & today Gino has been to the vet to have his weight checked & is now 7kgs today so has lost a bit ...vet said he was fine beginning to wonder if I'm feeding him enough .....any thoughts

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

schnauzer wrote:
schnauzer wrote:Gino weighs 7.4 and he will be 10 months on 9th March

A month on & today Gino has been to the vet to have his weight checked & is now 7kgs today so has lost a bit ...vet said he was fine beginning to wonder if I'm feeding him enough .....any thoughts
There will be a bit of a variation in weight depending on the overall size of your boy. Some mini schnauzers are actually quite large and so would be heavier than others. Our Magic is around 6.5 kg and that is a good weight for her as she is about 32 cm to the shoulder whereas her daughter Trilby is slightly taller and correspondingly heavier.

As regards amounts to feed, this too can vary depending on the metabolism of the dog as some burn off the calories quickly and need more than others who are either less active or just slower metabolism. We feed raw so can only give a guide re amounts for that which is approx 2-3% of adult bodyweight (or expected adult body weight for a puppy). Our Magic has approx 65g per meal morning and evening and our other two minis have 90-100g per meal to keep a reasonable weight.

Although it can be more reassuring to weigh out whatever food you are giving (and I do), it is probably quite OK to have a rough idea of how much food is keeping your dog looking good weight-wise and not fret too much about exact proportions or a slight loss or gain in weight. I never weigh my own meals :D

If Gino is active and looks fine, you can feel but not see his ribs and see a "waist" then you should be reassured that he is not overweight and the vet is clearly happy with his health. Puppies do generally gain weight steadily until they are mature (about a year old for minis) when it will level off and you should be able to feed according to that adult size to maintain his ideal weight but, as I say, that will depend on Gino's height, build and metabolism. I would not worry about a small dip in weight as it may just be temporary and will naturally go back up but, if he continues to lose weight, you could slightly increase the amount of food you give him until he has returned to a weight that seems appropriate.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
schnauzer

Post by schnauzer »

Hi Leigh
Thanks for your advice always very good as usual, Gino will be a year old on the 9th May, so at the moment coming up for 11 months on 9th April. Our Vet is happy with him, his Mum was around 7kgs but I am knowledgeable on Schnauzers to know that boys are always or should be a bit heavier than girls. My last girl Suzi was 8.5kgs for years and certainly wasn't overweight, she looked good and was always well admired. Gino is a good boy has a good appetite I'm just a bit concerned that he has lost weight but he has at least 4 or 5 walks per day, so having plenty exercise.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

schnauzer wrote:Hi Leigh
Thanks for your advice always very good as usual, Gino will be a year old on the 9th May, so at the moment coming up for 11 months on 9th April. Our Vet is happy with him, his Mum was around 7kgs but I am knowledgeable on Schnauzers to know that boys are always or should be a bit heavier than girls. My last girl Suzi was 8.5kgs for years and certainly wasn't overweight, she looked good and was always well admired. Gino is a good boy has a good appetite I'm just a bit concerned that he has lost weight but he has at least 4 or 5 walks per day, so having plenty exercise.
Yes, mini schnauzer boys usually will be heavier (and slightly taller) than mini girls so I can understand your concern. We have found adolescent dogs (of both sexes) can go through a skinny phase which I put down to the hormonal surges which may burn off more calories! It is important though that young dogs do get enough nutrition to establish good physical and mental health so do try giving extra to Gino for a while and see if he regains the weight he has lost and begins to fill out as he should.

We have a couple of schnauzer house guests here for a holiday just now (one of Magic's daughters and one of Trilby's sons). They come regularly and a couple of years ago they seemed to be getting a bit portly so we suggested dropping back on their food. They regained a good weight but, on this stay, they did look a little slender so may need their food adjusting up again for a while. There are a number of things which affect a dog's weight, as I am sure you know anyway, but the temperature, amount of exercise, hormonal changes or even if a dog is successfully fighting off or resisting an infection (even one that is not showing any external symptoms) can all be that bit more of a demand on their energy.

Luckily, with food, it is relatively easy to adjust quantities up and down with a healthy young dog and dedicated owners like yourself are quick to know if there is a real problem :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Christine

7kg seems a little light to me for a male schnauzer unless he is small and I wouldn't expect a young male to lose weight if he is maintaining his exercise regime. Just weighed Otto and he is 8.3kg at 9 months. He looks just right to me and I expect him to peak at around 8.5kg and stay at that. It is all about what they look and feel like really. So if he looks and feels in good shape then should be nothing to worry about.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
tonygold58
Puppy
First Name: Tony

Post by tonygold58 »

these posts above on weights got me thinking as i have my first ever male mini schnauzer, Elvis.
he is now 14 and a half months and weighs just over 10kgs, which according to the above posts, seems on the heavier side. the thing is, when we take him out and come across other mini schanuzers Elvis looks on the small side compared to them. he certainly hasn't widened out yet (maybe he never will)? having said that he is a brilliant dog (other than he will not return if he sees another dog to play with on the other side of the park)!, and he doesn't look under or overweight so i just suppose they come in varying shapes and sizes like all of us also?