A thread for Rosie and Edie

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: A thread for Rosie and Edie

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Schnauzer Sam wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 14:32
Rosie and Edie? Chalk and cheese!

In all aspects they are at opposite ends of the spectrum

Rosie is reserved, Edie is outgoing.
Rosie grazes her food and savours every mouthful, Edie in hales her food and I doubt whether she knows the taste.
Rosie sleeps very lightly, Edie falls unconscious.
Rosie loves to please and hates to be chastened, Edie's her own girl and cares nothing for praise.
Rosie is respectful of items not given to her to play with, Edie's view is that anything I can reach is mine.
Rosie slept through the night from week 1, Edie stores everything up to void when it's dark though she does alert me so I can let her out.
Rosie had an inherent sense of what a lead was for, Edie thinks it's unnecessary and if I bite it often enough I'll get my freedom.`

All that said, they are a fantastic pair of dogs that complement each other as companions and for my family. I love them both for their different characters and what they bring out in each other. I'm lucky to have them and tell them that every day :D

Made me smile reading this as it's exactly the same for me with Oscar and Sasha, Sasha now does eat more slowly.......finally. I have noticed too, similar to a previous post of yours, that Sasha leads Oscar into a bit more mischief than I think he would have got up to if on his own :)

We are in Austria on holiday at the moment and she is loving exploring around, more so than Oscar. It also seems like Sasha has found her voice and has started barking at any stranger. I'm hoping this may just be down to anxiety whilst being away from home, rather than a long term thing :(
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 11:00 We are in Austria on holiday at the moment and she is loving exploring around, more so than Oscar. It also seems like Sasha has found her voice and has started barking at any stranger. I'm hoping this may just be down to anxiety whilst being away from home, rather than a long term thing :(
Grüß Gott, Mike.

Where in Austria are you? I've only been to Salzburg and spent quite a bit of time in the Salzkammergut. It's somewhere that would be idyllic to take dogs to.We hope to take the dogs to either the UK (most likely) or France next year, possibly just for a short break. Depends on time (stepkids are doing exams and inevitably, money) :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Schnauzer Sam wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 14:32 Whenever I first mentioned I was thinking about getting a second mini I seem to recall that was loudest advice was that I must have plenty of energy. Well I thought, Rosie was a walk in the park. just how difficult can a second one be? Well It's a long time since I've been as tired :)

Rosie and Edie? Chalk and cheese!

In all aspects they are at opposite ends of the spectrum

Rosie is reserved, Edie is outgoing.
Rosie grazes her food and savours every mouthful, Edie in hales her food and I doubt whether she knows the taste.
Rosie sleeps very lightly, Edie falls unconscious.
Rosie loves to please and hates to be chastened, Edie's her own girl and cares nothing for praise.
Rosie is respectful of items not given to her to play with, Edie's view is that anything I can reach is mine.
Rosie slept through the night from week 1, Edie stores everything up to void when it's dark though she does alert me so I can let her out.
Rosie had an inherent sense of what a lead was for, Edie thinks it's unnecessary and if I bite it often enough I'll get my freedom.`

All that said, they are a fantastic pair of dogs that complement each other as companions and for my family. I love them both for their different characters and what they bring out in each other. I'm lucky to have them and tell them that every day :D

I found this hilarious, especially the "inhales her food" Milla has the knack of ignoring her food/even walking towards it and walking right past it and then suddenly by evening she has somehow eaten the lot without me noticing.
I love the fact that they have such different characters and yet get on so well.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Bodee wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 16:55
I found this hilarious, especially the "inhales her food" Milla has the knack of ignoring her food/even walking towards it and walking right past it and then suddenly by evening she has somehow eaten the lot without me noticing.
I love the fact that they have such different characters and yet get on so well.
Boyd,

It's lovely to see you here as it's been so long since I heard from you. I've been wondering all sorts of things about you and Milla and even tried to get in touch by e-mail. You really have made my day :)

I'd love to hear how you are both getting on - especially now she's a big girl who's had her first birthday.

mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Schnauzer Sam wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 11:40
mikegoodson1 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 11:00 We are in Austria on holiday at the moment and she is loving exploring around, more so than Oscar. It also seems like Sasha has found her voice and has started barking at any stranger. I'm hoping this may just be down to anxiety whilst being away from home, rather than a long term thing :(
Grüß Gott, Mike.

Where in Austria are you? I've only been to Salzburg and spent quite a bit of time in the Salzkammergut. It's somewhere that would be idyllic to take dogs to.We hope to take the dogs to either the UK (most likely) or France next year, possibly just for a short break. Depends on time (stepkids are doing exams and inevitably, money) :)
We're near Ischgl so there are loads of lovely hills/mountains to navigate - we have come here a couple of previous times, April 2017 (when there was still loads of snow around) and June 2017 (lovely and sunny) so this is Sashas first overseas trip, she is doing well. Oscar feels like this is a second home :)

I'll post a couple of pictures on another thread :)
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Got home from work today to find two excited dogs greeting me at the back gate. Rosie loves to have a fuss made of her and to be lifted so she can slobber over me whereas Edie wants to be lifted so she can nibble my beard =))

The past couple of weeks we have been trying to prepare Edie for being left with Rosie in the mornings when we are all back at work and school. We have another 10 days to try and get that fully sorted. The plan is for Edie to be left in the kitchen with her crate clipped to a playpen so she has an area to play and and area to sleep. She's not housetrained so we can't give her free rein and in addition, Rosie and Edie both love to play rough and although we have never seen anything to cause us alarm, we are mindful that Edie is only 11 weeks old weighs about a third of Rosie's weight and so while they will be in the same area, Edie will be safe.

We've been popping her into the playpen and extending the time she's left in it. Truthfully, we know she much prefers to run free but that won't happen until she's fully toilet trained which is a little off. She is clean and dry at night and will always alert me to take her out and settles back in her crate with no fuss at all. It's just during the day that she sometimes comes in from playing and squats on the kitchen floor!!

In addition to being pleased about seeing my girls when I got in from work I was also pleased to see 4 tons of sharp sand and a large roll of artificial grass delivered today. The weekend weather looks good too so I know what I'll be up to on Saturday and Sunday. The biggest pain is that I live in a mid-terrace town house and so everything will need to be dug up and barrowed out the back gates and through a passageway to the front of the house and then all the sand needs to come back the same way. I know that come Monday morning I'll feel every year of my age. The plus point is that Rosie and Edie will have a great, all-weather area to play on over the winter.

Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I knew that digging out the lawn to replace with artificial grass would take a while but I didn't factor in my two under gardeners who were in heaven with the choice of sand soil or grass to dig up. Needless to say progress was slower than hoped for but I should get all the prep finished tomorrow.

The biggest problem is that we are in a mid terrace town house and although we do have pedestrian access to the back it means that I have to barrow everything from the front garden where it's delivered to the back garden where it's needed. I have filled 6 ton bags today with turf and topsoil and should only have two more to do. I've only barrowed 1 ton of the 4 tons of sand I need to lay below the grass and that's what I hope to get finished tomorrow and lay the weed membrane and loose lay the artificial grass so it can rest before being trimmed into place.

Rosie and Edie had a ball and were absolutely filthy so Julie gave them both a bath while I cleared up for the day. Both girls climbed in to a day bed which made us laugh as Rosie has never taken to it :)

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I just love that photo. Sounds and looks like they had a great day.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Grass preparation is finished, the artificial grass is down but needs stretched and trimmed but that will wait until next weekend.

Rosie and Edie have a great surface to play on and have declared it open for business in a very predictable way =))

Since getting Edie, we've discovered that Rosie's not a morning dog. She needs time to come to and likes to patrol her demesne without having to look over her shoulder to see when the next attack is being launched. Edie is like a switch - she's either asleep or full on!!

Image Image

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam, lovely photos. I remember Ronnie Corbet saying how different his two mini schnauzers were, Rags and Muffin I think. He said one was up straight away trying to get self service whilst the other one remained in bed waiting for room service and wouldn't move until he had had a little bit of toast and butter in bed. They are funny.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Gorgeous photos. I can't remember if you've said. Are they related in anyway?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Dawnspell wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 20:46 Gorgeous photos. I can't remember if you've said. Are they related in anyway?
Hi Alison,

Thanks.

No, they're not related in any way.

Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

We have two milestones today.

Edie is 3 months old and Rosie and Edie are being left alone at home for the morning until my wife gets back from her part-time job. Rosie's an old soul and takes everything in her stride and we've tried to build Edie up to this but who knows what will happen.

We just hope that when Julie gets home both dogs are alive and the kitchen/dining room and all the contents are intact :)

Here's a snap I took just before I left them this morning.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Adorable Sam and everything in that photo is colour co-ordinated. I am convinced that if there is any trouble it won't be Edie's fault.... lol. Quite a nervous day for you all. They won't let you down I am sure.
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

What a lovely picture - hope all is ok when your wife gets home :)