Mini's pink skin showing under the coat?? 2 months old

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Nikola0803
Puppy
First Name: Nikola

Mini's pink skin showing under the coat?? 2 months old

Post by Nikola0803 »

Hey there every one.

I've got myself a female white miniature schnauzer. The guy was in a bit of a hurry to find them home.
Puppy was cleaned and got his first shot while still at the breeder's home.

Now it was arround 45-46 days when i've brought her home, and she is growing really fast, its really one small crazy ball of fur, full of fun and love. ( and jealousy towards my fiance :)) ).

Now there were few things that bothered me. First one was color change under the eyes because of tearing and the beard ( really bad food choice from his side.... )

I've started feeding her with Royal Canin, yogurt and started cleaning arround the eyes and the discharge with boric acid for eyes and Trixie for eye care.

Now its getting lighter and thats not conerning me as much as her skin is showing under the white coat. Its like its not dense enoug. And i see that she has been shedding a bit. Apart from that everything's great.

He has both of her parents and they look fine, but i saw them with coat almost ready to get clipped/stripped.

Here are some of her pic's and if some one know's what up i would be gratefoul.

P.S. Vet's said its nothing special for the eyes and the coat...

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Mini's pink skin showing under the coat?? 2 months old

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi there, hopefully someone with knowledge of white schnauzers will be able to help but I did find this website http://www.thecuteness.com/2006/09/hair ... orrow.html which shows another white schnauzer with fine hair and pink skin. Some schnauzers do have fine hair and I imagine that the white ones are more predisposed. Pink skin I also imagine is normal for that colour of schnauzer. If the vet doesn't think there is a problem you might want to do some research on what you could do to thicken the coat. Often cod liver oil is advised but do be careful as schnauzers do not absorb fat very well and can suffer from pancreatitis. She still has a fluffy puppy coat at the moment so the adult coat could be considerably thicker. I would be inclined to talk to the breeder and ask for a photo post grooming, that will give you a very good idea of what the adult coat will be like. She is a very sweet looking pup.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Nikola0803
Puppy

Post by Nikola0803 »

Hmm another vet said it should get thicker in couple of months. Im having one serious issue currently and im waitinf for post approval. It had 5 stools of diarhea and land one before the last one had redish wAtery fluid arround the pop and another one now with less of that discharge and bit more defined pop. Im literally scared whats happening now with her as the vet said to wait it out till the morning :’(
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Nikola

Welcome to the forum, your puppy looks lovely. Please don't be offended but can we have her name, I just don't think it's nice to refer to your new family member as 'it' or 'she' :(

Hopefully her problem is sorted out with her stools.

When it's that sort of problem with my pooches Oscar and Sasha (sickness/diarrhoea etc) I don't hesitate to get it checked at the vet especially if they are also off their food/water and not their normal self. I would suggest that's something you adhere to as well. If it's nothing serious, then all it's cost you is a trip to the vet and their basic fee, you cannot put a price on piece of mind.

And if your vet doesn't have 24 hour access or isn't partnered with a 24 hour animal hospital, find one now. You don't want to be in a situation late at night, when you are worried about your puppy and then have the added stress of finding a 24 hour practise.

Please let us know how she is.

Mike
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi Nikola..
Genetics...what will be,will be ...your pup for now has a fine coat,with very little undercoat...if the parents had really thick coats the chances are your pups coat may thicken up in time...but it isn't always so..
A good diet,regular brushing ,and stripping the coat will help the coat be the best it can be.
I have seen some wonderful coats on the whites ,so they aren't all poor coated...it's all down to genetics and what lines they come from .
I would not clip this pup,it will do nothing for a thin coat and may affect regrowth negatively.
The redness on the beard and eyes reflect allergies..probably due to the poor choice of kibble the breeder started the pup on.
This is an easy thing to fix with better choices re food,but switch over gradually or you will get a loose stool.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

From how her coat is laying flat she looks as though she will have a good wire coat if stripped. She probably wont be pure white though as the wire can be a wheaten colour. Barney hardy has any undercoat I only card him about once a month.
Whites tend to have pink skin or black since they are not albino. Barneys Mum was pink skinned and his dad black, Barney has black skin. She will definitely look more pink skinned if she is clipped short.

I would look to change to better quality food Royal Canin isn't one of the best. Have a look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk The more expensive grain free are best. They don't really end up being more expensive as you will feed less than royal canin as they have higher nutritional value not filled with filler grain products.

Tear staining can just be due to small tear ducts and you may find as she gets older and they get bigger the tears will drain away as they should and not down her face causing the staining.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Robin black mini

Hi dawn..do post a Barney pic to show post his lovely white wire coat..I was including your boy in my comment about good wire coats in whites..it may help convince Nikola to try stripping this pup.
Nikola ...we can give you lots of advice If you want to learn to strip coat..

I feed kibble...farmina n/ d chicken and aubergine..low grain..dog is very shiney with shiney coat and healthy stool.
We also feed some fish,rabbit ,veg etc on various meals.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Here's the boy.
This one his coat is long

This one shorter

This one posing for the camera :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Nikola0803
Puppy

Post by Nikola0803 »

I would really be happy tolearn how to strip her coat! :) I was planning on doing it as soon as i can.

There are few update, i've noticed something ,,scratching my fingers`` when i pet her, i've taught i was crusts on her skin or something but when i looked closer i could see a lot of hairs going out! and i think it's thickening it a lot! :)

I had used Acana for puppies after RC, but didnt want even to try acana, i was forcing her a bit with yogurth and she tarted to eat it but not a much as she needed too. Then i came back to RC.

But we have problems now :(

I've made a nother post with bloodie stool and this is day 3, she is pooping better and normall-ish. Last stool had some blood in it :(

Tested for diseases and she was negative, probably parasites but i've gave her a pill on 17th to clean her again but it probably didnt help her out so vet gave her another one yesteday :(

As far as good food, Acana was STINKING! I really mean stinking like food for fish or omething
Robin black mini

Lovely pics,he looks such a character!

NIkola..the less undercoat your pup has will make grooming easier for your dog and for you to keep the coat under control.

If you start to card the coat now..get a coarse stripping knife and run horizontally through the coat in the direction of hair growth ( toward the tail)..you will begin his journey towards a lovely stripped coat.

Can you tell us your pups name please?
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Barney is certainly the smartest white schnauzer I have ever seen.
Nikola0803
Puppy

Post by Nikola0803 »

Oh her name is Izi ( izzy , easy pronounced :) )
Nikola0803
Puppy

Post by Nikola0803 »

I've noticed that she started shedding a bit, and by shedding i meanfluw is starting to come off when brushing. I think she i ready for first strp :)
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Nikola, please concentrate on getting your puppy well first. You don't want to add to any stress whilst her little body is trying to fight whatever she is suffering from. The stripping can wait a few days. Hope she is doing better now.
Nikola0803
Puppy

Post by Nikola0803 »

I didnt meant to start imidietly. When she feel well and when i buy the neccessary tools :)